Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Highligting units - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
raving raving is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 306
raving is someone to look uptoraving is someone to look upto
Default Highligting units

sorry if this topic has been brought forward already.
Are you going to implement a button wich will highlight all your units and enemy units? Cause sometimes battles can get chaotic and it gets confusing wich units are yours and wich are your enemy's.

btw if you are afraid people can use these buttons to find units on great distance you implement something that will only highlight your own units and enemy units that are in combat.

just some thought
__________________
Raving > Forum admins > you
;)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
zach12wqasxz zach12wqasxz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A, Ohio, Tallmagde
Posts: 501
zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raving View Post
sorry if this topic has been brought forward already.
Are you going to implement a button wich will highlight all your units and enemy units? Cause sometimes battles can get chaotic and it gets confusing wich units are yours and wich are your enemy's.

btw if you are afraid people can use these buttons to find units on great distance you implement something that will only highlight your own units and enemy units that are in combat.

just some thought
i think this would be a useful feature, especially with large scale battles you need to be able to see who's who.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Darathor Darathor is offline
Elven Sect:
Treant
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 856
Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto
Default

You should be able to tell whose units are whose generally because they will be different colors. I'm pretty sure that the total war series had this and it was great because the battle could get quite chaotic.
__________________

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
nickson104 nickson104 is offline
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wales (Britain)
Posts: 1,119
nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto
Default

In most games units have at least a faint outline in their colour, if they are behind objects usually that outline becomes stronger
__________________
Xbox live gamertag: WelshAbyss
Feel free to add me and game to our hearts content :)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Jean=A=Luc's Avatar
Jean=A=Luc Jean=A=Luc is offline
Reverie Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 636
Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about
Default

I'm guessing your and enemy units will be of a different race most of the time but it could be useful. Though I've never needed it in any rts I've played so far.
__________________
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
zach12wqasxz zach12wqasxz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A, Ohio, Tallmagde
Posts: 501
zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto
Default

this would be a useful feature if you are playing say.....humans vs humans, and your colors a blue, and the enemies colors are purple, with hundreds of units dukeing it out while arrows rain down, buidlings getting demolished and forest fires running havoc, a highlighting feature would be immensely helpful at locating and differentiating friendly and enemy units.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM
wills370 wills370 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 639
wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto
Default

yes they do have highlights on even when they disapear around a building im not sure what exactly the thread was but it was in one of the media runs (would be in archive now) so guess if you want to see then you will have to go hunting for it.Although it is most like age of empires style highlighting.


with regard i beleive you will be able to choose you army's colours and this will affect your highlight. I cant see them letting the system fail on having to races pitched agiasnt one another so there will be a solution
__________________
leave feedback on posts by pressing the scales on the top right
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 AM
zach12wqasxz zach12wqasxz is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: U.S.A, Ohio, Tallmagde
Posts: 501
zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
yes they do have highlights on even when they disapear around a building im not sure what exactly the thread was but it was in one of the media runs (would be in archive now) so guess if you want to see then you will have to go hunting for it.Although it is most like age of empires style highlighting.


with regard i beleive you will be able to choose you army's colours and this will affect your highlight. I cant see them letting the system fail on having to races pitched agiasnt one another so there will be a solution
well if your in the mmo mode and your fighting a rival human player, elf on elf, orc on orc and human on human fights would be quite often
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Kaznafein Kaznafein is offline
Human Sect:
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 83
Kaznafein has a default reputation
Default

I dunno how I feel about this one. Battles are meant to be chaotic and if you get more skillful you'll be able to manage your troops better and know what there doing. On the other hand it would make things easier. I don't think a glow would look that good on screen either. But ya if you have a strategy in mind you'll know what your troops are doing. Plus your troops will probably where different color clothes such as blue team or red team and if there diffrent races that'll make it even easier to tell them apart. Overall I'd probably sway away from making them glow.

Other then that I think it would be nice if you move your cursor over your units they glow(highlighted) so you know they are selected. This would also help if your units are engaged with another melee unit in a tangled mess. Each unit of that battalion would glow.

Last edited by Kaznafein : 12-07-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Darathor Darathor is offline
Elven Sect:
Treant
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 856
Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaznafein View Post
I dunno how I feel about this one. Battles are meant to be chaotic and if you get more skillful you'll be able to manage your troops better and know what there doing. On the other hand it would make things easier. I don't think a glow would look that good on screen either. But ya if you have a strategy in mind you'll know what your troops are doing. Plus your troops will probably where different color clothes such as blue team or red team and if there diffrent races that'll make it even easier to tell them apart. Overall I'd probably sway away from making them glow.
I don't think that they are trying to get your units to permanently glow, just when you click a button they glow momentarily.
__________________

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 PM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Dawn of Fantasy and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.