Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

DOF servers? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto
Default DOF servers?

how many people do you guys think, or plan, or know, will be able to play on 1 server?, how many servers do you guys plan to have? and i hope if its posible to make this game like eve-onlines servers where they have ALL there players all in 1 server, 40k + on a regular basis, this being a rts, and extremely different type of game compared to eve, would this even be possible with todays technology? obviously there would be differnt servers for different systems but say you have like 2 servers for the PC and the 360, and say you have servers in like 2 different major languages, english.....and chinese? will this be possible?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM

Espadachim will become famous soon enough

40k players won't cause too much lag?

Dawn of Fantasy Heaven Staff.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espadachim View Post
40k players won't cause too much lag?
well, games like world of warcraft only have like 2000 people i do beleive, ( i have never played it ), now imagine 2000 people, all with 2000 man armies, i htink it would cause some serious lag without really good servers, mmos are a bit different from rts's, now combine them, i bet there will be a lot of lag in the beta testing
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

It really depends on how it is organised.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

bikkebakke has a default reputation

beta testing doesn't only contain bugtesting and stuff like that, they will slowly invite people to test the servers, its probably not until a resent releasedate that they will start to throw in lots of people and by then much work should be with the servers to keep them stable.

And i dont think it would lag too much for you depending on how they make, optimize, the game, it would lag if your computer would have to load up every unit/building everyone is using, the game will probably be set up in areas, so your computer will only have to load everything in your area, and when entering a new, it will only have to think about that area, so having lots of players doesnt really matters that way, on the other hand, the DoF servers would be heavely used, but I don't really know anything about that, letting someone else answer that :P

Or maybe that was your question and i didnt really get it: How much can the DoF servers take?
If not that is my question.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

If i remember rightly, there are to be a few servers, but not only that, you will only be able to see and therefore load, your neighbouring empires, allied empires, NPC cities and near where your army/armies is/are...
That will be to reduce lag... if you had to load up a whole server full of empires, towns and units... your computer would likely give up on life...
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

You dont need 40k players on one server. They'd barely fit along the whole land. Becuase it's not just one character it's a whole city. I think 1k will be max.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

Really? Wouldnt it be possible to simply have to accounts on one maplocation? Im gonna reckon all maps look similar anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
Really? Wouldnt it be possible to simply have to accounts on one maplocation? Im gonna reckon all maps look similar anyway.
what would happen if 1 guy conqured like half the land? would that mean the servers would be able to hold less people. because there is less land to go around? or will te land just get bigger till the servers are full?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

You don't conquer land, and the only things that are marked on the world map are NPC cities, your own city and targets. You don't see anyone else's city on the world map. It's rather difficult to explain if you haven't read up on the mechanics of the MMO portion of the game.

Whether everything ends up on one server or not, you'll have to wait for kon or someone to answer. That's not something I work on so I'm not sure what their plan is. But remember, all battles are played out on their own maps, the world map is there for matchmaking and quests, not for actually singling out targets. It's not going to have a little dot for every player city, just your own - possibly allies - NPC cities - and quest markers will be represented on it.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.