Dynamic Fire - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Tbeaz161 has a default reputation
Default Dynamic Fire

I saw the new Dynamic fire in one of the showcases and i thought it was great becuase i really really like fire "who doesn't right?". I was wondering how the fire is going to be controlled. I had been playing with my friend on Stronghold once and i decided just to catch a little building outside his main base on fire to mess with him, to my surprise though it quickly spread and soon his entire base was engulfed in a matter of seconds he had no hope and his entire army was burnt to a crisp before he could get them anywhere safe. He was obviously rather mad and we both thought this was rather cheap. So i was wondering if your going to do something to stop fire from being an unstoppable force? What if you have wooden walls also would the catch on fire? "yikes!". I saw that it started to rain and that put out the fire can our mages use water spells or make it rain themselves to put out fire? Also can i just run one mage into an enemy base and the suddenly light the whole thing on fire?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Fire spreads quite slowly on most things.. Also we probably will make fire spread even slower on buildings, for balance reasons.

Mages should be able to use water spells to stop fire, too.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Elite Member

raving is someone to look uptoraving is someone to look upto

sounds cool ^^ so it would take a while to burn a forest down to push us elfs out
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Stone and Marble walls are fire resistant raving wont stop me from burning everything else around you.

We are still in the process of thinking of what to do when it comes to putting it out, but I believe by the end of it each side will have at least 1 way to put fire out not counting powerful magic or natural powers like rain or snow.

a few things to remember, fires are near to impossible to spread during wintertime, rain inevitability drenched all wildfire and forest fires, 66% of the time fires wont be a problem. this will also add depth of gameplay towards the changing environment for example:

Your enemy has tons of boiling oil which will burn all of your troops to death if you try to assault that gate.

As you a line your armies just out of range of his stronghold it starts to rain.
You quickly rush the gate with battering rams and army as the rain starts to really come down. Your enemy dumps all of his oil on some of your men, some of them burn but the fires do not spread. The oil fire inevitably gets drenched with rain and allowed your battering rams to continue ramming the gate.

If you rush a gate during a hut summer day human oil pots will dump all their sticky black gold goodness on you and the oil fire would spread and burn longer making that gate unattackable for long periods of time.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 11-05-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

The fire system sounds very cool and intriguing! Does fire burn the ground or grass? As in, if your in a desert, fire doesn't spread very well, right?

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
The fire system sounds very cool and intriguing! Does fire burn the ground or grass? As in, if your in a desert, fire doesn't spread very well, right?
That is correct, if the fire has nothing to burn it wont last long at all. heavy forested areas and grassy areas really burn and change.

Bonus of some regions is having lots of trees for wood, downside to them is dynamic fires will make this bonus not so overpowered.

Do not worry about your forests burning up and never returning, our maps will slowly regenerate themselves bad to original state. Trees regrow, grass regrows after winter, and new wildlife will migrate back.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Here is something you might wanna see sire.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Sounds alsome. I posted my questons on the other thread although you answered them here. Love the fact that rain will have such an impact when attacking a castle. On a side note will rain have a minus effect on other unitsetc. E.g. calvery wont move as fast etc?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

Im more of an ice type of person but the fire looks awesome in this game. Usually when I play wizards or have them I go ice like slowing things down I guess.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

PirateofCheem has a default reputation

What about elf cities? Won't they be burned to the ground hell easily even though they are supposed to be the more defensive race?