Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Harbour Cities - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
I can see a region having better units because of the geography in some cases. A region that's all flat and open would be better suited to cavalry units for example, so the residents might focus on that for obvious reasons.
Thats what i thought =P.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

PirateofCheem has a default reputation

http://jdmoney.deviantart.com/art/Pirate-Town-140989401

That my 15 - 20 minute drawing in pen as to what it could possibly look like. Of course most of the buildings and all that are not to scale, well you should get the general idea. If you like it I might take my time on a better one.
Btw, I used the ships in the screenshots for the symbols on the ship coming out of the port, but then I realised I was drawing a pirate ship so I added some dots on the ends of them so now they kind of look like pins (supposed to be cutlasses). Lets just say it's a mockery of the Human navy's design.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Thats what i thought =P.
Your logic didn't really fit for the given examples however : p, at least for magic. Archers I could go either way on myself, on one hand in woods hunting is a more primary source of food as farming is more difficult/impossible in large enough amounts so they may have more people innately skilled at archery. On the other, archery as a combat tool is certainly less effective in a wooded area, no? So again, landscape could have an effect on it, but correlation does not imply causation. Whatever the people decided to focus on according to the lore is likely to have the final say, it might just incorporate the terrain of the region.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

nice the harbour cities could be a amazing feature of the game. Cant say i have to deal with both land and sea since the empire earth/age of empires series.

the harbour could have a number of calll features. Possibly a fortified harbour on the higher levels where you have a wall with gates. (automated as micro management would be to much). Which in the event of a attack could be manned aswell as the main wall to fight off ships. (possibly a better solution if anyone can come up with it also but i thoought a wall was a fairly safe bet).
Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

Winterwolf00 has a default reputation

I like the idea of having bonuses for the type of land you live in, but lets make it realistic. If you live in the woods then you'd have better access to wood, if you live in the mountains you have access to ore(and better defenses). In the plains you can grow crops on farms. And at coastal cities you can fish. That said I also like the idea of better units. No you don't have better archers in general because your from the woods. But do they spend alot of time hunting game with bows most likely. So give them a special hunter/ranger unit that is stealthy and more accurate. It wouldn't be a full archer unit of rangers. Maybe just 1 man or a small team.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

EmpressHebihime has a default reputation

Idea is good but the thing about that magic and archer things are enhanced is more problematic since in RTS games mostly it's the terrain everywhere that effects your units. Such as a forest would make your units move slower and give them more hiding places wich could lead to a good ambush spot for caravans. But the thing you said about gaining more trade and so on in Harbor Cities that is quite more as you were thinking and is more what you were meaning.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

A port city should have increased trade if it is other trade cities anywhere near water, however you got the trading cities located around, those should also have increased trading. I really have no idea what i am saying but i hope some of it makes sense. if harbors have increased trade then the trading focused land based ones should also have increased trade. However the sea route is more dangerous then the land at some points and other it is not...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

I like the idea, but I doubt naval warfare will ever be as extensive as land battles. It certainly looks more dynamic (actual units on the ships, maybe boarding other ships, etc.) but it's still flat water. I like the idea of island cities/seatrade, but I think that'd work better if Reverie decided to add another continent across the ocean, so that we wouldn't be limited to small island trade. If we're going to add pirates, we may as well as bandits too-otherwise seatrade will be inherantly more difficult than simple overland routes
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Coastal sounds good - but we have to keep in mind that being coastal, especially on an island, would be very limiting - you could only be attacked by players with navies - aka other coastal players. Do we want that kind of limitation in DOF? I know I don't. Unless all players have acces to the sea in some way, I do not think it practical.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Although I would rather not see island dwellings I could totally see the ability to create a camp on the coast and from there embark onto ships to attack an island. Perhaps also the ability to create naval warships as well?