Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Diplomacy - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowyMoon View Post
Am I the only one who got Jean's joke? Either way, I'm sure the MMO mode will have a pretty good diplomacy system. (Or at least it should).
A very obvious play on in the "In the grim darkness of the future there is only WAR" that is the hallmark of Warhammer 40,000.

Honestly for player versus player I don't see a need for a 'diplomacy' system unless it interacts with other mechanics designed with it in mind.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 10-12-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

We might have several levels of diplomacy, currently we have 3:
Allies
npc cities allow trade

Neutral
No trade, battle can break out if someone attacks one another, but not automatically.

Enemy
Default enemy.

I want to see a several stage diplomacy, we might be able to make something like this:

Trusted Ally
An ally that you can call for help during a invasion of your homeland or help in an invasion of his homeland.

Ally
Siege together against other cities, trade, is an ally in regional combat, camp battles, co-op quests(if we are going to make some. ).

Common Enemy
A temporary Ally to assault a stronghold with, common enemy relations can improve to ally or be broken after taking the stronghold. Only Bribe Trading.

Neutral
No trade, battle can break out if someone attacks one another, but not automatically.

Passive Enemy
An enemy that doesn't want to fight but will if you come to close around their area, or do not give them what they want (such as a bribe). These would mostly include bandits, raiders, wildlife and other creeps. Only Bribe Trading.

Enemy
Default enemy. Only Bribe Trading.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
The AI in that game was atrocious, so easy to exploit it. My favorite was sitting your fleet where they jump in, you killed a few then they'd all turn around and try to jump out but the AI almost always used group jump at that point so you pick off most of their fleet, was so sad.
You should see it now that you have starbases and minefields. The AI doesn't stand a chance. Pirates are a complete joke after the second or third raid. Of course, the next expansion is supposedly going to fix all this.

That said, multiplayer is as great as ever. The new patch really livened up the underused capital ships. The Sova and Kortul really got a lot of love in particular. I swear by the new and improved Kortul now. No questions asked, best combat capital ship in the game now.

Quote:
one thing I recall about multiplayer however is that all matches in DoF will start out as a free for all
I doubt that; it makes no sense to remove what is essentially the standard setting for multiplayer skirmish.

Certainly there's a difference between MMO and skirmish diplomacy. Like a lot of things in DoF, these two need to be distinguished. Unfortunately it seems half the people in this thread are talking about one, half about the other. Anyways, good to hear about the MMO diplomacy from Joseph Visscher. Sounds like the kind of thing that will get hammered out in the beta.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
You should see it now that you have starbases and minefields. The AI doesn't stand a chance. Pirates are a complete joke after the second or third raid. Of course, the next expansion is supposedly going to fix all this.

That said, multiplayer is as great as ever. The new patch really livened up the underused capital ships. The Sova and Kortul really got a lot of love in particular. I swear by the new and improved Kortul now. No questions asked, best combat capital ship in the game now.

I doubt that; it makes no sense to remove what is essentially the standard setting for multiplayer skirmish.

Certainly there's a difference between MMO and skirmish diplomacy. Like a lot of things in DoF, these two need to be distinguished. Unfortunately it seems half the people in this thread are talking about one, half about the other. Anyways, good to hear about the MMO diplomacy from Joseph Visscher. Sounds like the kind of thing that will get hammered out in the beta.
I was surprised when I read it, I'll try and find you the quote. But that's the way it was phrased. It mentioned deciding who to team up with once in the game, again, this didn't sound right but that's what was said.

As far as sins, hated single player AI was never fun to play against, too dumb. Multiplayer - the sova was the single best rush ship in the game by far. Drain their starter planet on a small-medium map and it was absolutely GG. Granted on larger maps it was absolute garbage. Kortul was good at what it did, nothing great but it soaked damage well. I quit before the 1.1 patch because of the way they were (mis)handling balance for multiplayer and kept making changes that effected both the mp and sp instead of balancing each separately, big mistake. I still facepalm at the nerf to siege ships that made games take forever.

If you really think it's better now I might give it another go, how many people are on mp these days? It was floundering sub-100s when I quit most of the day.

Systematically going through every dev post trying to find this quote on dofh, I know it wasn't here. Edit:2 Oh I found it, it was in reference to MMO mode and whether people started allied based upon their races, must have skimmed over it somehow. Not sure how I came to the wrong conclusion about it, but yeah I always thought that was off. That's good to know now.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 10-13-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Multiplayer - the sova was the single best rush ship in the game by far. Drain their starter planet on a small-medium map and it was absolutely GG.
A lot has changed since then. Level 1 embargo took a nerf, and on all but the smallest maps (ie, point blank) an unsupported Sova rush was now a reasonable strategy rather than overpowering. Moreover the expansion pack introduced "quick-start" where you begin the game with your capital shipyard and extractors built. This made Sova rushing practically worthless since any player worth their salt will be capable of pumping LRF by the time you actually arrive. The Sova was relegated to near-uselessness as a result, and the new buff greatly improved its combat capabilities to back up embargo. In fact, it's now feasible to build a Sova and not to pick embargo.

Quote:
Kortul was good at what it did, nothing great but it soaked damage well.
Kortul is a beast now. Its damage absorbing capabilities make the Kol look like a amateur, and its disruptive strikes drain antimatter from many enemy targets ridiculously quickly, especially with power surge to increase its attack speed. Basically imagine if you combined a Kol and a Radiance and buffed them up on steroids; that is the new Kortul.

Quote:
I still facepalm at the nerf to siege ships that made games take forever.
The recent patch buffed them back to a reasonable level of strength, though personally I still would rather go for a siege-class capital ship most of the time. Multiplayer balance is actually pretty good right now.

Quote:
how many people are on mp these days?
Can't tell you how many people, but there are enough that you should be able to find some good games.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Darkes has a default reputation

It's a great suggestion, im tired of in the must RTS games you only can win with wars and fights, i want to win using my great economic or my great culture .

I dont know if someone of you played Black and White 2, i love that game because you can win using the peace (with the great culture of your city). The bad of that game is they dont got skirmish, multiplayer, world editor and you can only be greeks xD.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

You always win by having the best economy, in any RTS. Pumping out the most armies and resupplying them faster than the enemy is what usually wins a battle. (possible exception is total war but even here its a main part)

Granted I did like black and white because it gave some different options.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

There was mention of a sandbox mode at one point, but I'm not sure what happened there. That would be a nice feature.
However, in MMORTS - you can't 'win'!
Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

In mmorts mode, you could make it your goal to become a huge economic empire and trade with other players for even more resources. You could have a small army and just pay off anyone who attacks you.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 10-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

To be honest, when I find out, il make sure to attack every 20 minutes.