Graphics :( - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
The main problem it the low-poly art we used, instead of high-poly art - this makes all the difference. With-in 2 months we`ll know if publisher will pay to upgrade all the art assets to high-poly - this would make a huge difference.
How much would it actually cost?
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Baxter has a default reputation

I will probably be incinerated for saying this as I know people of this community probably feel like they have been waiting forever for the game release but.........I am definately more concerned about good gameplay than good graphics but if it takes 2 months extra and you have the luxury of taking another two months and the financing (I'm sure they would be improving other things along side the graphics at the same time too) then a couple extra more months of waiting is a small price to pay if it means a better game upon release.

Ok, torch me at the stake.

Last edited by Baxter : 10-06-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Quote:
How much would it actually cost?
First time someone asks a question like this - around 75,000 Euro for character and building art close to the Mount and Blade quality. DoF will look slightly better at the max zoom out, but much, much better zoomed in.

At this point it`s publisher`s call - as soon as we know (December) we`ll be sure to let you know.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
First time someone asks a question like this - around 75,000 Euro for character and building art close to the Mount and Blade quality. DoF will look slightly better at the max zoom out, but much, much better zoomed in.

At this point it`s publisher`s call - as soon as we know (December) we`ll be sure to let you know.
Low poly counts are useful for when you're dealing with going in and out of the battle map in MMORTS, wouldn't it? It could very well be minimal or no effect at all for all I know I suppose, just seems like it would. Have everything load low-poly, then slowly start adding the high poly counts. Lots of other games load everything low-poly then start replacing things with the high poly stuff. Or can you just scale the high poly model, don't need two unique ones? No idea.

While having them available is nice, I'd just as soon play without them - even if I had a computer that can perform with them. if I have time to be zooming in and looking at my units, I have time that I could be putting to good use .

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeso View Post
Low poly counts are useful for when you're dealing with going in and out of the battle map in MMORTS, wouldn't it? It could very well be minimal or no effect at all for all I know I suppose, just seems like it would. Have everything load low-poly, then slowly start adding the high poly counts. Lots of other games load everything low-poly then start replacing things with the high poly stuff. Or can you just scale the high poly model, don't need two unique ones? No idea.

While having them available is nice, I'd just as soon play without them - even if I had a computer that can perform with them. if I have time to be zooming in and looking at my units, I have time that I could be putting to good use .
games use a mixture of high poly and low poly, they use it as Level of detail. I don't know if you know this, but a good example is total war series. when you are zoomed into max the models are at their highest detail level as you start zooming out they switch to lower quality model units, as you hit max zoom out they use sprites for the models.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_have_krabs View Post
games use a mixture of high poly and low poly, they use it as Level of detail. I don't know if you know this, but a good example is total war series. when you are zoomed into max the models are at their highest detail level as you start zooming out they switch to lower quality model units, as you hit max zoom out they use sprites for the models.
I'm well aware of how that works, but this is something different - you load in near something, or move close to something quickly, and it remains low poly, then loads high poly. It might be the same process but it's used differently than a zoom scale, I know how that works.

A good example if you have it is mass effect, save near certain objects, then load the save. Sometimes the ground will appear blocky as will some objects for a short time, then the high poly models load.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

I think personally this would improve the game no end. People are looking for the best graphics now and if the game can secure the finance to do this then it is worth it. Now where did i put that 75K :P lol.

On another note however, will we find out at the same time who this mystery developer is?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
I think personally this would improve the game no end. People are looking for the best graphics now and if the game can secure the finance to do this then it is worth it. Now where did i put that 75K :P lol.

On another note however, will we find out at the same time who this mystery publisher is?
And I hope so, I want to know that they got a decent developer that can actually afford to fund the game without taking creative control and driving it into the ground, that'd be even better news than more screenshots/MMORTS info.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Reverie World Studios

Chris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputationChris Harshman has very good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_have_krabs View Post
as you hit max zoom out they use sprites for the models.

Actually it is still a 3D model.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM

bogdan1281 has a default reputation

The graphics are lets say "average" at this level; more importantly i think is the game play.

I've been playing real old games and the playing experiece was much much better as with the new much better looking games.

Can't wait for the open beta ...or even the close beta