Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Hello, I'm new and have some Questions - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square > Traveler Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Baxter has a default reputation
Default Hello, I'm new and have some Questions

Hi,

This project looks really interesting. Most of the information available is really focused on the MMORTS portion of the game (which is cool!) and I can't seem to find much about the single player modes.

Can you play a campaign-like series of skirmishes where you basically would be playing like a Total War game, purhaps eventually taking over the whole game-world one territory at a time?

Is there a thread or something I'm missing that goes into more details about the single player gameplay?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Yes. There are plenty of discussions about the single player. There will be a story campaign and you'll be able to play skirmishes as well too.
Also you have posted this thread in the wrong section - I believe you should have posted it in the traveler's introduction section which is a subsection of this.
Next time please look where you post. Thanks.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

I saw that there is a linear story driven campaign, but I guess what I was getting at is I'm wondering if you can play the single player skirmishes like a non-linear campaign like in Total War where you can have open ended freedom in which cities that you take over - so hypothetically you could eventually take over the whole game world / as opposed to just skirmish individual battles.

Could you point out some of the threads regarding details of single player modes? All it says in the features is "extensive single player skirmishes" without detail. Seems like everything is oriented around the MMORTS - and for good reason.

I'm not big into scripted linear campaignes but I loved the way you could almost play in a sandbox type of campaign like with Total War, thats the best example of what I am talking about.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I saw that there is a linear story driven campaign, but I guess what I was getting at is I'm wondering if you can play the single player skirmishes like a non-linear campaign like in Total War where you can have open ended freedom in which cities that you take over - so hypothetically you could eventually take over the whole game world / as opposed to just skirmish individual battles.

Could you point out some of the threads regarding details of single player modes? All it says in the features is "extensive single player skirmishes" without detail. Seems like everything is oriented around the MMORTS - and for good reason.

I'm not big into scripted linear campaignes but I loved the way you could almost play in a sandbox type of campaign like with Total War, thats the best example of what I am talking about.
Go to the suggestion forums and work your way through thoose or carry out a search. That will show you what you need.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post

Only a dev can answer if the single player campaign works like that, I would doubt it considering the primary focus is MMORTS, not single player, but who knows.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeso View Post
Only a dev can answer if the single player campaign works like that, I would doubt it considering the primary focus is MMORTS, not single player, but who knows.
Hmm could possibly have some fetures found in the online world. found this from a dev which does hint to what you mean althouh this is the persistant world and not single player. So we will have to wait longer to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
Not quite. Think Total War games. You move armies and select cities on the World Map. But unlike Total War, where player only gets into RTS view during the battle, in DoF player can at any time see his Army/Town in RTS view (be it in some forest, desert or a town). And when it comes to managing the town, or army - again please can only do this in RTS view.

And yes there are load screens, but right now in the not-so-optimized engine you are looking at 8 to 15 seconds long load-time. We`ll try to push this down to 4-5 seconds.

There are lots of World events - but we are unleashing them as players progress through the quests, instead of a specific date. Example of world events: civil war in human realm, orcs vs humans war, elves vs orcs war e.t.c

Last edited by wills370 : 10-06-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Ya I've searched around and haven't really found anything. I saw that post too but like you said thats regarding the online play.

I think you are right that this is a question for the Devs, as I have not found an answer unless I missed it somewhere.

Basically, does single player skirmish work the same way as online play only with AI instead of live players - and with the ability to "capture" territories?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

No. Skirmish is just the regular classic RTS skirmish. You start off with an already built stronghold I think.
And the storyline campaign... You know honestly I don't think it's open world but it is kind of possible considering all the games are coming out like that now and this game has an open world ready engine. But you are right, I don't think we heard much about the single player storyline mode and how exactly it is played out.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
No. Skirmish is just the regular classic RTS skirmish. You start off with an already built stronghold I think.
I believe you start out with what you do in MMORTS, just a hero and a few peasants along with a town hall, but everything is built, trained, and gathered much more quickly.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
I believe you start out with what you do in MMORTS, just a hero and a few peasants along with a town hall, but everything is built, trained, and gathered much more quickly.
I believe this to be more likely as well - however it's entirely possible that like several other strategy games they'll have different starting settings ranging from bare bones to fully developed.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.