Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
Sorry to hear that.
I won't argue with you but I think buying dof for 50 bucks will be much better than paying every month.
personally I can't afford to.
Hmm i would prefer that also and then anything ontop can be bought like influence. Especially in the long run this will turn out better. As with all the patches etc people will be anoyed if they have to keep shelling out monthly and then buying the extras ontop.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Baxter has a default reputation

I think the point is that somebody has to pay it. You pay 50 bucks for the game, that pays for them to develop it and provide you with the game, pay the salaries, expenses, ect.. - and yes even make a profit (hopefully).

The MMO part of it, the monthy subscription charges, or however it is payed for is to keep the servers running and keep paying the staff that is necessary to keep it working (and yes, again perhaps making some profit). Bandwidth costs money, keeping the servers running costs money, people costs money, and yes they make games to make a profit. If you do not have a renewable source of income such as a monthly fee, then you cannot keep up with the ongoing costs because eventually that initial 50 bucks you spent will get used up and there will be nothing left to pay for the ongoing expenses.

They said they will be supporting the ongoing costs with selling influence or other methods instead of a monthly fee. A game like this probably has very low overhead compared to a typical MMORPG which is why the monthly fee is needed. If WoW for example didn't charge $15 a month, it would no longer exist.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
I think the point is that somebody has to pay it. You pay 50 bucks for the game, that pays for them to develop it and provide you with the game, pay the salaries, expenses, ect.. - and yes even make a profit (hopefully).

The MMO part of it, the monthy subscription charges, or however it is payed for is to keep the servers running and keep paying the staff that is necessary to keep it working (and yes, again perhaps making some profit). Bandwidth costs money, keeping the servers running costs money, people costs money, and yes they make games to make a profit. If you do not have a renewable source of income such as a monthly fee, then you cannot keep up with the ongoing costs because eventually that initial 50 bucks you spent will get used up and there will be nothing left to pay for the ongoing expenses.

They said they will be supporting the ongoing costs with selling influence or other methods instead of a monthly fee. A game like this probably has very low overhead compared to a typical MMORPG which is why the monthly fee is needed. If WoW for example didn't charge $15 a month, it would no longer exist.
That is the method i would prefer. If instead you bought the content you wanted and the influence you needed/desired then that would or even could exceed monthly rates.

Also lets you pay when you want to and not when you dont have the money etc. In this economic climate i think that is very valuable.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
If WoW for example didn't charge $15 a month, it would no longer exist.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you can't say something like this. No one has any idea how it really would have gone if WoW didn't cost a monthly and possibly did something else.

But yes, being able to pay for some new units, quests, upgrades, and resources and only when you want to, it sounds quite nice and better than some other systems. It lets the player decide whether or not he wants to pay/spend influence on something. You can do it when you want, or wait for it to become free or don't bother with it at all.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)

Last edited by Darathor : 10-07-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM

bogdan1281 has a default reputation
Default Paid Beta

Hy - first Post

My proposal would be to do the same as other developers (Mount&Blade). for ex. I've bought in 2005 the game - and played as beta until last year when it was launched.

The Beta buyer had a discount (whole game - beta and finished product- 19 $) and I've tested and enjoyed more that several thousands of hours of gameplay. (Currently I am a beta tester for their M&B: Warband).

The advantage for them was that they got a much needed capital for development.
The advantage for me was the opportunity to play a real nice game (and additional mods) for years.

Short, I would prefer a one time fee that would allow me to play the beta (in stead of writing an essay ) and then continue to play the game.

In this one time fee I would have access to only one kingdom / region / continent. For additional regions --- I could buy a card or something.

thx,