Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

logging off in combat - Page 9 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
Eh? Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Unless we're talking about mountains and not the usual hills and such, wind would have next to no impact differentiated by that minimal height difference. You're more likely to see a difference in the wind based on how many trees there are in an area than a small hill.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I was comparing the difference between a valley, and a hill. There you would get a difference. A sheltered area compared to an exposed area -there you would get a difference. Of course, I'm not saying the arrow will swing 90 degrees and miss by 200 yards - not every effect in a game has to be exaggerated beyond proportion.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
I was comparing the difference between a valley, and a hill. There you would get a difference. A sheltered area compared to an exposed area -there you would get a difference. Of course, I'm not saying the arrow will swing 90 degrees and miss by 200 yards - not every effect in a game has to be exaggerated beyond proportion.
Well, like I said, it depends on a lot of things other than height is all. The trees, any buildings etc. it just seems overly complicated to add in based on height especially when height is traditionally seen as an advantage. I suppose you could create specific areas that magnify based upon a % the current wind of the map using zones and scripts for them. But a dynamic system that changes based on height throughout the map is asking too much.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Yes that is true, it is complex, in any case my original point was the factor of wind - in cases where the weather is more severe, the accuracy of archers diminishes. I'm not sure how exposure became the prime argument, that wasn't my intention!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yes that is true, it is complex, in any case my original point was the factor of wind - in cases where the weather is more severe, the accuracy of archers diminishes. I'm not sure how exposure became the prime argument, that wasn't my intention!
Ah, my apologies then, I guess we went off on a tangent from the point then. I like the idea of accuracy effected by weather/wind,If it's raining, or snowing, or night there should be penalties. A slight/small penalty for night, moderate for raining, or heavy for snowing or something. That the sort of thing you wanted to see? It might not be directly because of wind, but I like the idea. Or did you have something else in mind.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Quote:
If it's raining, or snowing, or night there should be penalties. A slight/small penalty for night, moderate for raining, or heavy for snowing or something. That the sort of thing you wanted to see? It might not be directly because of wind, but I like the idea. Or did you have something else in mind.
Bingo, though I think rain should have a bigger effect - rain distorts the bow string, and makes it swell. Range and and accuracy is affected by this.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Bingo, though I think rain should have a bigger effect - rain distorts the bow string, and makes it swell. Range and and accuracy is affected by this.
Well that was stupid of me, I have a bow of my own. I was thinking solely of how things would affect the arrow in transit rather than the bow itself. But yeah, we agree weather, wind or not and maybe night should have penalties. Now the question is - can you choose when to attack. Like if you have a primarily melee army could you pay some sort of small penalty and the attack take place during snow/rain, or if ranged heavy a bright sunny day with clear skies etc.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

I suppose it's luck of the draw (pun intended!).
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I suppose it's luck of the draw (pun intended!).
lol, I was thinking for a penalty based upon which weather condition(s) you wait for when you declare an attack. Like the defenders getting boosts to things like gate health, or more boiling oil etc. but you get the weather you want. The advantage depends on which weather condition(s) you wait for, if you choose the worst, lets say strong rain, for archers. It would be a big penalty, but if you chose strong and light rain(Far lesser penalty to archers) the penalty would be less etc. Often times games leave out the fact that while the defender has advantages in a siege, so too does the attacker! For he chooses when to fight, while the defender gets walls to fight from.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeso View Post
lol, I was thinking for a penalty based upon which weather condition(s) you wait for when you declare an attack. Like the defenders getting boosts to things like gate health, or more boiling oil etc. but you get the weather you want. The advantage depends on which weather condition(s) you wait for, if you choose the worst, lets say strong rain, for archers. It would be a big penalty, but if you chose strong and light rain(Far lesser penalty to archers) the penalty would be less etc. Often times games leave out the fact that while the defender has advantages in a siege, so too does the attacker! For he chooses when to fight, while the defender gets walls to fight from.
Hmm intresting idea. It might be hard to find the balance and would find alot of testing to get it all to be beleivable levels. The footsoldiers could also have a slight cover bonus in the heavy rain as line of sight is reduced etc. But the archer idea is intresting espicially if it is coupled with the wait longer to do more damage idea.