Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

logging off in combat - Page 5 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

It's almost never the way to go. But...seeing as the enemy cant quickly buy some counter-units it might work..:P
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
Whoever builds one-unit spam armies deserves whatever they get.
I agree that is not how the game should be played and would be stupid to do so. Was curiouse how the influence system would work in that case however.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

Thanks for the details
Old 09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
I agree that is not how the game should be played and would be stupid to do so. Was curiouse how the influence system would work in that case however.
Let's say horsemen and bowmen cost the same. Two players meet, one has 100 archers the other a 100 horsemen. From the matchmaking system's perspective they're "equal". It's not the system's job to correct players' mistakes and poor judgment.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
Let's say horsemen and bowmen cost the same. Two players meet, one has 100 archers the other a 100 horsemen. From the matchmaking system's perspective they're "equal". It's not the system's job to correct players' mistakes and poor judgment.
Hmm intresting. Could be a intresting thing do have when it coems to sending out horse raiding partyies around the back of a battle hunting down reinforcements could well happen. Thanks for answering. so the system is based on cost of units?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Reverie Moderator

Jean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura aboutJean=A=Luc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills370 View Post
Thanks for answering. so the system is based on cost of units?
I have no idea, I was just saying what makes sense and making the point that if you screw up some tactical/strategic element of your game it's not the system's place to make up for that. Match making systems typically consider a players win/loss ratio, number of games played and in if there are rpg elements the player's level or in DoF's case the "level" (of development) of one's stronghold.
The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! *Jean-Luc Picard*
Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

[quote=Jean=A=Luc;19187]I have no idea, I was just saying what makes sense and making the point that if you screw up some tactical/strategic element of your game it's not the system's place to make up for that. Match making systems typically consider a players win/loss ratio, number of games played and in if there are rpg elements the player's level or in DoF's case the "level" (of development) of one's stronghold.[quote]

Arent those side-issue's though?

I think this should be considered but the main thing is the cost (and perhaps the amount (considering the race)) of the armies. (like people said)

Last edited by Supreme : 09-30-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

I think that the match-making system would be based off of the amount of units(as said before, based on race),cost and level/experience. It would also be based off the kind of units, so someone with elite units couldn't have the same amount as someone with mostly normal units.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
I think that the match-making system would be based off of the amount of units(as said before, based on race),cost and level/experience. It would also be based off the kind of units, so someone with elite units couldn't have the same amount as someone with mostly normal units.
The best approach is one that looks purely at total value of the armies in question when match making. If you have a poor unit composition the game shouldn't compensate for your bad choices lol. Also, as far as experience. It depends entirely on how powerful it is and their goal for the game, personally I don't want to see my very high level units considered a higher value, what's the point of leveling them up if it penalizes me by increasing the 'strength' of my army according to the algorithim. It's like RPGs that have you level up... but the monsters stay the same level as you, leveling loses all of it's meaning. if you don't gain any relative power for leveling up your units, there is a far lower incentive to do it, wouldn't you agree?

That is unless they go with another form of 'advantage' rather than raw power. For example, an elite unit might be 'valued' at the strength of two level 1 units of the same kind, and it would provide an even matchup for them, but if units have an upkeep they would only require half. And of course it would be half the population cap. It really depends on how they balance it out. If for battle purposes they remain equal value/strength fine, but they need to have other advantages like the same strength for less pop cap/less upkeep if there is even upkeep. I'd still prefer it to be more experienced units are just stronger, but valued the same, but it can work the other way if done right.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

I see what you are saying Haeso. Having a huge advantage that isn't taken into account in match-making, thus making you fight inferior opponents much more often, is fine. I like the idea of steam-rolling a good percentage of my opponents due to the imbalance of unit power.

Also, you can still fight people that are slightly higher or lower level then you in match-making, not to mention we don't know how NPCs' levels work in accordance with a players.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)

Last edited by Darathor : 09-29-2009 at 05:50 PM.