Thousands and thousands seems a little much. =s

But must be alot. =D
Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post

None of our maps are randomly generated, all done by hand in our editor.

I am not sure if our snow environments will make it into the game, we might save it for a expansion pack, most of our playable world area is not around snow, leaving out northern Dwarven realm; still, we have many more quests to make.

About the archers, Yes sight and range increases with higher height, but it wont be like in bfme2/1 where they shoot across the entire map if they are really really high.
Those maps would have been really good to play in ah well onwards and upwards...

I'm glad to hear its not like BFME because yeah some of the range bonuses on there were just irrational, combine the extreme power of the elven archers plus their huge range and the bonus of some of the bigger hills and it was just stupid, I recall one battle with a friend where he had his archer heros camped on a hill in the middle of the map and manage to destroy my fortress due to the range they had
Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
I recall one battle with a friend where he had his archer heros camped on a hill in the middle of the map and manage to destroy my fortress due to the range they had

So... arrows destroy entire fortresses... not even flaming arrows should effect stone buildings/walls, wood houses etc yea it should burn them down; but arrows, without fire, arrows should only effect flesh baring personnel. such as Ogres, Orcs and Cows! Oh, don't forget chicken, (with flaming arrows) hmmm Chicken Shishabob.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

Quote:
So... arrows destroy entire fortresses... not even flaming arrows should effect stone buildings/walls, wood houses etc yea it should burn them down; but arrows, without fire, arrows should only effect flesh baring personnel. such as Ogres, Orcs and Cows! Oh, don't forget chicken, (with flaming arrows) hmmm Chicken Shishabob.
Exactly what annoys me, the only game that really pleases me lately, and I have begun to play it a lot more as of late, is Stronghold2. Yes it is wrought with bugs and glitches but at least its game makes sense and a lot of your strategy and battles and your survival depends on exactly how you build your fortress and manage your lands

Stronghold is good in the way you cant destroy buildings with anything but siege pretty much and the free build is amazing The units are not so spectacular, no tactics for most no added damage from spearmen to horsemen or such and it generally comes down to sheer numbers... but it is a thoroughly enjoyable game
Old 10-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
Exactly what annoys me, the only game that really pleases me lately, and I have begun to play it a lot more as of late, is Stronghold2. Yes it is wrought with bugs and glitches but at least its game makes sense and a lot of your strategy and battles and your survival depends on exactly how you build your fortress and manage your lands

Stronghold is good in the way you cant destroy buildings with anything but siege pretty much and the free build is amazing The units are not so spectacular, no tactics for most no added damage from spearmen to horsemen or such and it generally comes down to sheer numbers... but it is a thoroughly enjoyable game

I played the demo of it, it was fun, it was very promising in a lot of areas, then very week in others, its sandbox nature makes the strongholds look very unrealistic depending on who built it, its walls die/build way to fast, and your wrong; from what i saw, anything can kill anything, that first level, the enemy took me out several times with just spear men and swordsmen by destroying my buildings, walls and everything else.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

Quote:

I played the demo of it, it was fun, it was very promising in a lot of areas, then very week in others, its sandbox nature makes the strongholds look very unrealistic depending on who built it, its walls die/build way to fast, and your wrong; from what i saw, anything can kill anything, that first level, the enemy took me out several times with just spear men and swordsmen by destroying my buildings, walls and everything else.
Except the stone buildings... the demo although it is good it only allows the low level buildings, all of which are wooden wooden palisades can be hacked through with enough force but stone cannot...
Building was very fast i agree but it was a compromise i was willing to make

And yes some people would make them unrealistic, some people would take advantage of the landscape or the cunning would make the easiest place to attack their main gate to lure their enemies there (which was in fact a killzone with many balistae,catapults and traps to hinder their foes)
However some people like me made the castles as defendable as possible, not spam walls but make them look realistic and like a proper castle but a well fuctioninc one.
My personal favourite was a concentric box castle, 2 layers of wall with every here and there a wall jutting out a few yards to allow a tower to be placed at a better vantage point compared to the wall

And in my spare time i enjoyed making motte and baileys and testing my skill at the creating of castles some of the scenario mission castles on the game were amazing and many quite accurate...
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM

aVeron has a default reputation

I didnt really like the bfme series, due to the heroes, they're to overpowered.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

After you play for a while, you begin to learn their weaknesses.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

kronlc has a default reputation

I play stronghold2 also nickson, funnily enougth it was
while looking for a game similar to stronghold2 that I came across this.
I also agree that the only archers that should be OP are the elvin ones
but even that needs to be limited.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronlc View Post
I play stronghold2 also nickson, funnily enougth it was
while looking for a game similar to stronghold2 that I came across this.
I also agree that the only archers that should be OP are the elvin ones
but even that needs to be limited.

I'll leak some already known info about the elves...

Elven units are the most powerful units in the game, archers are good, but so are their melee units, without any upgrades 1 Elven two handed swordsman (not going to give their name) can take on 4+ human soldiers and 5-6+ orcs.

To counter this, Elven units are a lot more expensive and elves generally are not as populated as the other races, therefore it is very common that the elves outnumbered, but not out skilled or out powered
They are a force to respect and honor, every elf can change the outcome; unlike the near endless hordes of Orcs...