Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Tool tips, tutorials, and other assorted goodies. - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM

TheBlackPumpkin has a default reputation
Default Tool tips, tutorials, and other assorted goodies.

Well, first I would like to start by saying, I love the game, after about four days of playing it I've dumped about 40+ hours into the game. However, one of the first thing's i noticed is how many thing's are not explained to new players, either through tooltips, tutorials, or quests.

Now, normally anyone who has spent a extensive amount of time playing RTS games can figure out the basics fairly easily. However there are some things that I thought were rather hard to figure out, such as the fact that you cannot see the stats of units that you are looking at in the market. Granted I cant name every single thing that I had trouble figuring out, but, here is another one. Nowhere, in the store or otherwise have I seen information about how heroes, wizards, and elite units and handled. Now as all of you likely know, the units i just mentioned are all immortal, when they die, they lose some levels, which seem to very based on what level they are, and then respawn when you heal them or take them back to your town.

This is VERY confusing for new players, my suggestion would be to add unit cards to the market. And make a hero / elite unit tutorial that goes through how hero units / elite units work and what happens when they die. Along with a chart showing how many levels they lose.

Another thing that a lot of new players find daunting, is PvP. Now personally the way I look at it is, it's a MMORTS, the main component for this type of game is PvP, so why'd ya buy it?

Well as developers of your product I'm sure you try your best to offer both PvE and PvP experiences to whoever wants them. PvE is done fairly well, with the quests to guide you along with taking NPC cities you can grasp PvE and what to do fairly easily after awhile. However PvP is a whole new ball park. A lot of players that don't want to PvP had a bad experience their first time out. Either they got fried by a wizard, someone who just knew the PvP mechanics better, or just got attacked and didn't know what to do.

Personally I haven't tried PvP yet, why? Because I don't feel like losing my near 1800 strength army to someone who has been PvPing for a long time and knows how to crush all but equal level experience players.

To fix this, my suggestion is as follows, create a non-risk PvP mode for friends to invite eachother to for practice. You can have the same strength rules apply, and simply make it so neither player loses nor gains anything. That way people can figure out how to PvP and how to play, without having to lose all of their hard work, and in turn either quit your game, or simply stop PvPing, and in my opinion, both are equally bad options.

These are only a few of the things I have noticed, as I cannot recall all of it off the top of my head, however if you wish, I will continue to post suggestions related to this as more come up. Weather or not it is even possible to do what I am suggesting at this point, I have no clue, but hopefully you will find my suggestions and insight helpful in some way.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Glad to see your enjoying your time in-game so far. And what a great list of suggestions.

Tool-tips for the market units to list stats and details - very good idea. Adding this to our list.

As for PvP - we are working hard on balancing things with every patch (granted wizards are OP right now, this will be fixed with-in 24 hours). However as for best PvP suggestion - why not start small? with a small of of 100 strength - just make some new level 5 units - 20 or so - and try them in PvP, you`ll get lots of crowns even if you loose.

As for the no-risk PvP game mode...this is something we could look at. Hm...perhaps. I do see a good idea here. Taken under consideration, but such battles would have to give no rewards, and we can`t just limit this to friends.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
Glad to see your enjoying your time in-game so far. And what a great list of suggestions.

Tool-tips for the market units to list stats and details - very good idea. Adding this to our list.

As for PvP - we are working hard on balancing things with every patch (granted wizards are OP right now, this will be fixed with-in 24 hours). However as for best PvP suggestion - why not start small? with a small of of 100 strength - just make some new level 5 units - 20 or so - and try them in PvP, you`ll get lots of crowns even if you loose.

As for the no-risk PvP game mode...this is something we could look at. Hm...perhaps. I do see a good idea here. Taken under consideration, but such battles would have to give no rewards, and we can`t just limit this to friends.

A valid point, and this in my opinion IS the best way to get into PvP. However If I had a army of for example, 5 level 5 swordsmen, archers, and knights, someone could attack me with a wizard, and a couple of other extremely high level units. To balance this issue i think army strength either needs to be modified more by ranks, or a system would need to be implemented so that players of a certain "level" cant go after newer players. Im not sure what the best way to implement something like that would be, and personally, I dont like things that restrict freedom like that, but that being said, its not really fair for someone with a few lvl 20s to be able to stomp someone of equal army strength, but their units are just so supperior because of levels.

I'm glad the no risk PvP mode has some appeal to you, and yes, i understand the no rewards aspect, I actually meant to put that part into my original post "if i didnt" And I also understand the part of not just friends. That was simply the template i was using in my head.

Im glad you found the ideas good / helpful, gotta love Dev's that are active in the community
Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 PM

New suggestion coming your way!

So currently, if a player doesn't want to fight a PvP battle, you pay off the enemy. The problem I have found with this mechanic is it is very annoying / tedious making sure every single army / your town has enough gold to pay off a attack. My suggestion would be to eliminate the need to carry gold for payoff's in your army. And make it so any gold in the empire can be used for a payoff.

Unless of course you intended this side effect in the design, to make it something players have to keep a eye on at all times if they want to pay people off.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM
QA, Junior Game Designer

Langor is just above average reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackPumpkin View Post
New suggestion coming your way!

So currently, if a player doesn't want to fight a PvP battle, you pay off the enemy. The problem I have found with this mechanic is it is very annoying / tedious making sure every single army / your town has enough gold to pay off a attack. My suggestion would be to eliminate the need to carry gold for payoff's in your army. And make it so any gold in the empire can be used for a payoff.

Unless of course you intended this side effect in the design, to make it something players have to keep a eye on at all times if they want to pay people off.
Hello Black Pumpkin. Very good and open minded idea's. There is a lot I would like to suggest myself but have not had the time. Its good to see players care about the game and want to help make it better. So keep those suggestions coming!

Also, on the last suggestion about the payoffs. I completely agree with you. Pays offs should be an agreement between two armies. And a caravan will delivery the goods (Not really but speaking in theory).

Actually, There should be three options:

Fight: Engage the enemy for glory and honor! Or whatever it is you fight for.

Pay Off: The payment should be automatically deducted from your city.

Retreat: If you cannot pay off the enemy due to lack of resources you can choose to retreat instead of fight. This will cause a chance for your army to take damage and loose units (Due to you running away from the enemy and them trying to kill you). This can also be an option if you don't want to pay them.

Thoughts and opinions?

EDIT: Didn't see your first reply. Currently units do scale dynamically in Strength rating rating as they level. Also, to PvP someone by default you need to be within 10% of their strength rating. A level 100 wizard is about 300-350 strength rating by itself. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Last edited by Langor : 01-27-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added information about Army's
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM

I agree with you except for on one point "The payment should be automatically deducted from your city."

The reason i disagree with this is you would then have to keep a large amount of gold in your city at all times, perhaps, we have found a use for the guild hall??

I understand that, but just because you have the same "strength" doesnt mean you do, if that makes sense, for instance, 2 units of lvl 20 swordsmen / knights can beat the same army strength if they are also using knights / swordsmen.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM
QA, Junior Game Designer

Quote:
I understand that, but just because you have the same "strength" doesnt mean you do, if that makes sense, for instance, 2 units of lvl 20 swordsmen / knights can beat the same army strength if they are also using knights / swordsmen.
Lets say for concept of example (These are not current strength ratings)

A level one knight is a strength 10. A level 20 knight will be strength 30.

So if two units of level 20 knights (for a total of 60 strength) fight two units of level 20 knights their strength rating will be 60 strength also. If two level one knights of strength 10 fight two level 20 knights of strength 30 it would be a 30 vs 60 strength battle. Which can't happen because its more than 10% difference.

And if you are talking about a players level in their profile. That is their heroes level. I can send you 60k gold and you can take your hero to the nearest trade city and power level him to 60 in a few minutes. That has nothing to do with how good a player is or the strength of his army (unless the Hero is added into it of course).
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
QA, Junior Game Designer

Quote:
I agree with you except for on one point "The payment should be automatically deducted from your city."

The reason i disagree with this is you would then have to keep a large amount of gold in your city at all times, perhaps, we have found a use for the guild hall??
Well now you don't make sense to me. When you do a pay off it is instant. So what would be the difference if it comes from your army or your city?
Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langor View Post
Lets say for concept of example (These are not current strength ratings)

A level one knight is a strength 10. A level 20 knight will be strength 30.

So if two units of level 20 knights (for a total of 60 strength) fight two units of level 20 knights their strength rating will be 60 strength also. If two level one knights of strength 10 fight two level 20 knights of strength 30 it would be a 30 vs 60 strength battle. Which can't happen because its more than 10% difference.

And if you are talking about a players level in their profile. That is their heroes level. I can send you 60k gold and you can take your hero to the nearest trade city and power level him to 60 in a few minutes. That has nothing to do with how good a player is or the strength of his army (unless the Hero is added into it of course).

My point is, if you have a level 20 knight vs a equal army strength of swordsmen at level 1, the knight will win, thats the best i can explain myself.

Perhaps i didnt explain my point well enough, or if i did, then its a stupid idea, and you can ignore it xD
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langor View Post
Well now you don't make sense to me. When you do a pay off it is instant. So what would be the difference if it comes from your army or your city?

My thinking was instead of having to take up gold storage for units, buildings etc up in your city for payoffs, you could store the gold in the guild hall, however, either would work, that is just how i would prefer it.