Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

What determines a victory or defeat in pvp - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > New Player Help
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 AM

Cynwulf has a default reputation
Default What determines a victory or defeat in pvp

Someone attacked my newb castle only been playing a week now. I accepted just to see what it was like. I noticed he had a huge black dragon and 2 units of dwarf gunners and thought ok he is a wringer higher level player running around with a small army. i sat in my castle and he did not kill any of my military units he burned the outlaying farmsteads and frontier cabins but did not harm one building within my walls. After about 45 minutes i get defeat? How so he did not break down my gates or scale the walls or kill one military unit within my castle.

The other question why is someone with a huge black dragon and dwarven gunners able to attack a newb with some infantry and missle troops. Ohh and some trebs mounted on his walls. Had his dragon down to 9k hp twice when it approached my walls too then it flew off too his army staying well out of my treb range.

This scoundrel also killed the little npc lord outside my walls and his men and burnt down his stockade. They didn't even fight back either. That lord was a representative of the king after all he should of at least faught back or run.

One final note my protection from attack ran down during our marathon fight where the attacker refused to attack the walls or my keep. If anything he should of lost his command due to cowardice.

Anyone know what determines who wins or loses a siege as a defender one would think you win if you defend your keep and castle would one not.

Thanks for reading i do like the game but obviously there are issues in pvp to be ironed out. I know from what little experience i have to defeat an ai opponent in the quest have to kill all there men shouldn't be the same if your an attacker?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 AM

IbraKurt has a default reputation

there are lots of lots of issues needs to be solved within this game, trust me, lots of. i am merely hoping this company will take this game to a better position.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 AM

I like it just seemed strange that the attacker which failed to even breach my gates won the battle. Not one of my military units were destoyed. I just wonder if the npc lord and his troops sitting in his own encampment gave him victory points they didnt even fight back just sat there while a large black dragon kept striking the npc lord.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Altariel has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynwulf View Post

Someone attacked my newb castle [...] with a small army. i sat in my castle and he did not kill any of my military units he burned the outlaying farmsteads and frontier cabins but did not harm one building within my walls. After about 45 minutes i get defeat? How so he did not break down my gates or scale the walls or kill one military unit within my castle.
As a newbie, I also would like an answer to that strange situation. I have been very wary of being attacked since, like you, I do not understand many aspects of the PvP notions of "victory" and "defeat".

Quote:

The other question why is someone with a huge black dragon and dwarven gunners able to attack a newb with some infantry and missle troops. Ohh and some trebs mounted on his walls.
I believe I can resolve that question, based on information I have read in other threads.

What determines a attacker/defender matching by the game program is merely a quantitative measure : all your military units (hero + troops) and their levels, plus all your defensive structures are collectively translated into a precise number which represents your aggregate military strength. You can only be attacked by someone whose army has a numeric value approximately equivalent to yours (within a 10% margin, since recent patch 1.4.9).

It is a purely quantitative evaluation and comparison. The game program does not take into account qualitative perceptions, such as the awesome appearance of a fire-breathing dragon : the dragon is reduced to a numeric value. In your case, as you stated, the guy had a "small army" : the dragon's strength was countered by your defensive strength (including your hero's and units' levels). Consequently, the game program allowed the PvP attack. But since he had a "small army" (despite the awesome dragon) and you had sufficiently robust defenses, the attacker did not dare to directly assault your city defenses.

Of course, this does not address your first question : why was he attributed a "victory" ?

In conclusion, newbie players (such as you and I) can be attacked by a "higher level player running around with a small army" : the game program does not take into account the qualitative skill and experience of players, it only compares the quantitative values of the military forces. Since a recent patch, you should not be assaulted by a player who has a military strength superior to +10% in comparison to your own military strength. The fact that your enemy is a veteran player or a newbie is not taken into account by the program.

This is the official information on recent patch 1.4.9 which is pertinent to your situation :

Quote:

::::: Balance Adjustments :::::

- PvP attack protection is now 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes
- Made PvP only match armies within 10% of strength value, used to be 30% before
- Hero and Dragon units add less strength to the army strength value

Last edited by Altariel : 04-08-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Thanks Atariel for the info still would really like to know why i was defeated when the attacker could not harm me within my walls though was really strange.

Also since this was definetly a siege he stayed well out of my castle defences shouldn't food become important if the attacker runs out of food prior to the defender the siege is broken and the attacker loses if the defender runs out of food first then the defender is defeated. Of course food would then need to be consumed.

Wish a veteran would explain pvp as a defender and as an attacker so a newb would be more likely to participate in pvp. As far as i was concerned i won the attacker lost. Even a dev responce would be nice since it appears i am not the only one who was confused by this so called defeat well situated behind my walls.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

I second your wish, Cynwulf : it would be nice if a veteran player or a dev explained why you were unfairly assigned a "defeat" when your opponent did nothing else than roam through the countryside, avoiding to attack you and to inflict upon you the least injury.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Hey guys - ok lets shine some light on this once and for all.

But first I did want to mention that in the coming patches we are greatly increasing the cost of stamina for unit running, as well as decreasing self-healing. This will greatly help against player who just run around and avoid battle, or heal.

Anyway - it`s a really simple stem.

You might have noticed the green/red bar on the left side of the screen. This bar shows your (green) and enemy (red) army strength for whatever units they have alive on the battle map.
And victory/defeat is declared when one player is 80% stronger than the other player.

There is also a battle timer as part of this Strength Bar. Once that timer runs out the player who has a stronger army - wins. We Might adjust this, to declare a draw - where both players will get defeat
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM

thanks for the reply thus reason i was defeated was because he had a stronger army to begin with because no military units were destroyed on either side.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post

There is also a battle timer as part of this Strength Bar. Once that timer runs out the player who has a stronger army - wins. We Might adjust this, to declare a draw - where both players will get defeat
Thank you very much, dear Design Director, for valuable informations which resolve the principal question which had been raised by original poster Cynwulf.

In what concerns the adjustment you are considering, I second it. What happened to Cynwulf really was unfair.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Rensai is just above average reputation

Quote:
thanks for the reply thus reason i was defeated was because he had a stronger army to begin with because no military units were destroyed on either side.
The system needs to be changed then, because that means the only way you could win would be to go out from your defenses and weaken/destroy the stronger army. That makes no sense whatsoever and needs to be fixed.