Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

castle - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Are we still talking about walls? I feel fine about letting people spam walls like in BFME2. Sure they looked crappy but it let players have some customization and that is the most important thing to me.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM

Khyron has a default reputation

If a mainly Minautar race is added later would be fun and characteristic to make have build your own walls, allowing for a maze to be greated. AS for other races makeing wall, upon wall, upon wall, it would make turtleing way too powerful. Just immagine running out of ammunition for seige weapons before you get half way threw the 15 walls the player has placed.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

Esculas the Mighty is someone to look uptoEsculas the Mighty is someone to look upto

im sure you could find more rocks or bring up the seige towers/ladders

remember you not limited to trebs
Old 06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

That's why I proposed the "design in some kind of option off main menu" where , like the CaH system in ROTWK, you design it to whatever extent you want but depending on what you use, it'll cost you.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Yeah I agree with that. As long as there is a bit more diversity.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

Whoa whoa... We can't build our own walls?

Taking away that, takes away from the entire point of city building, that being a point within all RTS games, and that is making something your own. Making a standard template that falls in place with a click of the mouse just seems rather... bland. With every moron who builds a utilitarian nightmare, you still have alot of people who put time and effort into things, designing recreations of edwardian fortifications, motte and Baileys, even pentagonal designs.

While I understand the points of, overpowered and illogical fortifications being built... I'm sure there could be a solution within scripting. And further I Like the idea mentioned about adding in some kind of editor within the game itself, where you design the fortifications with limitations on design, so that you Must stop at a point, to prevent the construction of overpowered tower spamming. I would say that would work quite well. Maybe further have a limit on stone, or have a required time for construction. Because we all know how much time is an issue. So if you build a massive fortification it will take 20 minutes to finish. And by that point your already being bumed by your oponent who has a sleeker design on everything.

The main problem I've always seen is range anyway. You build a seige engine, sit it at the Perfect point so it's In range of the tower, and out of range of anything to stop it, and knock it down at a weak point. Don't make range so specific, don't make accuracy over distance that good... all these things have been done before in other games.

Last edited by ash12181987 : 06-30-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Ellaboration was needed.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Elite Member

frankein_fish is someone to look uptofrankein_fish is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash12181987 View Post
The main problem I've always seen is range anyway. You build a seige engine, sit it at the Perfect point so it's In range of the tower, and out of range of anything to stop it, and knock it down at a weak point. Don't make range so specific, don't make accuracy over distance that good... all these things have been done before in other games.
Well accuracy wont be good over long distances, imagine the accuracy in Rome:Total War when u used fire ammo in ur catapults.
Plus the weather will affect the accuracy too, bright and shiny weather=Nice accuracy.
Rain and windy weather=Useless accuracy
so id say accuracy will be nicely balanced

Welcome to the bottom of the food chain
www.rtscomunity.com
"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt."
Diablo III---Starcraft II---Bloodline champions
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neotyguy40 has a default reputation

I bet the accuracy will be nicely balanced...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

Yes Everyone, understood.. balance in accuracy (With weather and 400 other factors involved). I'm just trying to find an answer for Why wall construction is forbidden, even in Single Player?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM

fyro11 has a default reputation

Like Puppeteer and Ash have said, I think there needs to be a number of templates that one can choose from, otherwise the standard template will be just too stringent and allow for one set of strategies only. Allowing a template system (with buildplots still included in-city) wouldn't be as farfetched an idea as just allowing free building of walls wherever one desires.