Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Location: Somewhere between the Westcoast of the USA and the Eastcost of Japan
Sunleader has good reputation

Linux is an nice System
I am using it to work my Server and also when I need something to work with.

But its Compatibility Problems to Games and Programms is annoying
Having a Free System is Nice but if you cant use your stuff on it than its useless

an OS is like an Aircraft Carrier made as Platform to Launch Programms (Aircraft)

in that case Windows 7 Is like an Incredible Armed and Equipped Carrier but everything was prebuild so changing it is alot of work and sometimes even impossible

Linux Systems are the exact opposite
theyre like Huge Empty Carriers
however they lack the Catapults as well as the Ramps to launch programms so theyre useless unless you provide everything yourself
making nearly anything possible but at the same requiring incredible work for even small stuff

Vista is an much smaller Carrier
but it provides incredible compatibitility for different Programms and Systems
while the capacity might be lacking it can be changed and adjustet very easily :P

Best Carrier still was ME for it was working with everything and anything
unfortunately the system grew obsolete and unable to support modern stuff

Well it doesnt really matter tough
Opinions are like Faces
its rare to find even two which dont differ at some point

tough thats also a good thing
just imagine if everyone liked the same food and the same women
we would be at war all the time lol
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM

buddhist23 is having trouble understanding forum rules

Just clone the same things and peace will occur.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Novakiller has good reputation

I have to disagree with what you mentioned about windows vista there, after using vista for such a long time, getting that damn OS to run properly on a LAN for games was no easier or harder then windows 7 is, its almost identicle as it still used the same firewall and UAC control which leads to most of the LAN issues for games along with rounter configurations, which is no different no matter what OS you use.... Windows 7 is a lot easier to install as that IS automatic, and that is great, but if you are wanting to tinker around with settings its no different then vista.... I have had a lot more issues with the networking side of things with vista then I ever did with the likes of windows 95/ 98 and XP... Been too long since i last messed with Windows 3.11

Thats going from my personal experiences..... on a personal lan with 2 comps and 2 laptops...when it comes to lan, most of the issues are with the software, ie : games that have issues going around routers and firewalls even if you are allowing them... Games for example are becomming far less lan will eventually be online only...

This is why steam is a good thing for this game, it will give them the deserved extra revenue they need and populate this game a lot more with any luck...

(just wanted to get back on topic with my last sentance) lol
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM

City Builder has a default reputation

I've had steam on every computer that I've ever had since joining steam years ago. Not once have I had advertisements pop up due to steam, or any other program for that matter. Those that do and think it's because of steam need to seriously analyze what's really going on and scan for malware and viruses as steam does not inject advertising software onto your computer to make ads popup in your browser, other sites that you visit and programs that you download do that.

The world seems to be full of people ill informed and or people that just believe what Joe Montecarlo has to say on some anonymous forum somewhere about things like DRM and Steam and an assortment of other things. It's time to get informed people, it's time to get informed.

For those that have crappy ISP, you shouldn't be blaming steam for the way it works you should be contacting your ISP and complaining to them to quit knocking out your internet service on such a frequent basis if it's really happening all that often.

Our ISP generally does their maintenance in the middle of the night, like between 1 and 130am which for me is prime time so it bothers me, and I complain to them, not to steam or a game developer that uses steam. Now we have less maintenance, it's now been brought down to only once a week at most instead of the old schedule where it used to be almost nightly.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM

buddhist23 is having trouble understanding forum rules

steam is so kool
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM

KingArthur has a default reputation

Steam is good, because it will provide the developers with a crap ton of money.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Haha - I won`t expect "crap ton of money" but hopefully enough so that we can work on the next game, and spend another year or two running and constantly adding to Dawn of Fantasy.

A bit ironic that we discussing this in the "Do not put this game on steam!" topic.

And I completely agree with City Builder - I never had a single problem with Steam, and I been using it for as long as I can remember heh.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Developer - Lua Coding

Brian Shingles is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
I never had a single problem with Steam, and I been using it for as long as I can remember heh.
Oh, no! You can't remember anything before 2003? Playing video games has robbed Kon of his childhood memories

Seriously, though, I've never had any problems with Steam. The only ads I get from them is when I quit playing a game they occasionally show some games that are on sale.

And a crap ton of money would be nice It would certainly make a change from the minimal funding we've had for years. I'm not sure how much money we'll make from being on Steam, but it would be great to see Dawn of Fantasy have a bigger player base and maybe for some employees to finally get paid for all those unpaid hours we've worked.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Location: Somewhere between the Westcoast of the USA and the Eastcost of Japan
Sunleader has good reputation

@Buddhist
I guess you didnt get his Point

You see
Steam is very easy and very comfortable.
Its an pretty good Platform in that regard and also very dependable.
Which is logical because they especially want those to use it who dont know their way around Computers and those dont know how to limit Steam activitys
someone playing a Console primarily is very happy if everything and anything is done by Steam without him noticing
and of course Steam wants to do exactly this for you
because it means that everything you do is being helped by Steam and thus of course also recorded by Steam

However
More and more Games only get to you on the base that you already have Steam
you cant play em without Steam and then again Steam also needs to run in the Backround
And it extends itself further and further

Most Games wont even start without Steam running even in Offline Mode

Your Statistics, Behavior and pretty much everything you do is recorded on Steam and send back to them.

This Includes Primarily

Steam safes your Games Statistics so you can watch them but that also means they know:

What Game do you play
How Long do you play
How long is Steam running on your Computer per day

Steam safes your billing history so you always can check what you spend where but that also means they know:

How Much money do you spend on each Game
How Much money do you spend on Games per Month

Steam ensures that nobody is cheating or manipulating his Game but that also means they know:

What other Processes are running in the Backround while your Playing
What Websites are you visiting
What Messengers do you use
How much Data is being send and received by your Computer everyday

All of this Data is available for Steam and Send back to their Server
And actually thats not even all Steam is Sending back

You see I dont even need to look into the Programming of Steam or to suspect em of doing some hidden stuff
because Steam is not hiding this to begin with
they actually state what they are sending back very openly but they only state the reason which is your benefit
they wont tell you what use it has to them

Because for them
this is good money

They got your Email and Account Data
They got your Name and Billing Data including things like Bank Account and Address as well as other stuff

And now they receive all this Data on you
filing them and of course using them

They dont actually need to sell or spread your data to others so they know what you like and for what your ready to pay money or how much money you are ready to pay
because they themself are the ones publishing the games and those using this information
even in Offline mode Steam is memorizing this data and then sending it after your online again

Well
thats it for the Facts about Steam

Now I.ll leave it up to everyone imagination what Steam is actually trying to do with the data aside from this obvios ideas

Greetz

Last edited by Sunleader : 09-08-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Trendz85 has a default reputation

Despite how many of you don't like steam valve etc your missing the key point ! Steam has once kick arse community that can make or break new start up games etc. Not only that but they also have a pretty fierce community of modders as well that I'm sure no doubt would only bring more awesomeness to DoF maybe new race skins graphic overhauls etc, As much as you like to admit it this is a Pvp game and without real people to play it there's no Pvp no revenue thus no game. So its clear to me from a business perspective that DoF MUST ! approach outlets such as steam not only to help promote the game via advertisement etc and create revenue for further development but to also help expand an already pretty good community and once that happens and modders get involved games tend to grow and evolve like wildfire on there own. Even those that don't become mass world sellers overnight still usually create a loyal and paying fan base that stick with these games and further there development , I'm fully behind Konstatin and the DoF team using valve to promote this community and game as a whole how the hell do you think i heard about it ? That's right steam, Ive already told 3 friends about it who also use steam. This is how the ball rolls Keep up the good work !