Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Modding Questions - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Elite Member

Grizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputation
Default Modding Questions

Basically, I pm'ed Konstantin Fomenko about some modding questions I had, and he said it would be good for me to post them for others to see. So I guess if anyone has other questions about the modding aspect of the game, they can post them here and the team will answer them when they can.

The posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlez
Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on an awesome job on what you have shown us so far. Definately will be getting this game without a doubt and try to get my friends to get it as well.

My question, will this game be able to be modified, either in terms of adding new models and characters or even just a worldbuilder/map editor type feature.

If you can let me know what you can about this i'd really appreciate this.

Thanks, Grizzlez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko
Hi and welcome to our community.

It might surprise you that good number of our employees including myself come from RTS modding community. So we feel really strongly about delivering the best RTS editor on the market and leaving the game open to all kinds of modding.

Retail package of dawn of fantasy will feature Developer tools - World Editor, Unit Editor, Model and Animation Viewer. Anybody with 3D Studio max will be able to easily make their own units. And all game files will be completely open to modding.

More ever, we plan to create a modding community website accessible right from the game multiplayer browser. So mod packs and custom scenarios will be available to all the players, even on Xbox360 platform.
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlez
Will you be able to tell me some more about the modding capabilities?

In terms of, how the unit editor etc will work-like can it be used online or only offline type games. How does the new things created work with the game?

Because its an MMORTS I'm not too sure how it will all work and what you have in mind, so any enlightenment on this would be really helpful for me, because if it all sounds good i'll probably start with some models and getting a team together etc soon so we can have something near the release of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko
Dawn of Fantasy has two games in one - single-player and mmorts (as well as multiplayer skirmish)

While you won`t be able to release any content for MMORTS (not approved by our studio at least), you`ll be free to release single-player campaigns, scenarios, and multipayer skirmish levels.

Oh and by the way, feel free to repost our conversation in general forum if you like - I think other forumers would like to join into this conversation and learn more about DoF editing.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Thanks for posting this matter in general discussion. Remember, the whole point of having a forum is that many people share your questions, and can benefit equally from the answer.

I'm very curious about how the map editor will work, but it's one of those things that you can't fully understand the specifics of it until you've had a hands on experience.

One specific question I do have is what support the editor will provide to creating custom spells and special abilities for units? How easy will it be to modify an existing spell/ability, or create an entirely new one?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Generation is someone to look uptoGeneration is someone to look upto

yep what he typed
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

Grizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputationGrizzlez has very good reputation

The reason I did it by pm was because I wanted my questions to be answered, and not to have a load of random spam crap taking over. If other people wanted these answers, there would already be a topic.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Freelancer

Alexander Flegler has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
Thanks for posting this matter in general discussion. Remember, the whole point of having a forum is that many people share your questions, and can benefit equally from the answer.

I'm very curious about how the map editor will work, but it's one of those things that you can't fully understand the specifics of it until you've had a hands on experience.

One specific question I do have is what support the editor will provide to creating custom spells and special abilities for units? How easy will it be to modify an existing spell/ability, or create an entirely new one?
We recently made a huge overhaul to the ingame scripting system for units... before it didn't take necessarily more time to create a new spell or what ever but it was rather messy compared to the new organized way. Due to our scripting language LUA (it's also used in other games as well) we and of course you modders have nearly infinite possibilities to create mods and other creative content, everything is possible from Eco Simulation to Diablo style RPG.

Once you've learned the scripting language it will take you only 5 minutes to include a new spell or special ability (without new graphics of course).
Old 06-01-2008, 03:16 PM

LordSlayer has a default reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Flegler View Post
We recently made a huge overhaul to the ingame scripting system for units... before it didn't take necessarily more time to create a new spell or what ever but it was rather messy compared to the new organized way. Due to our scripting language LUA (it's also used in other games as well) we and of course you modders have nearly infinite possibilities to create mods and other creative content, everything is possible from Eco Simulation to Diablo style RPG.

Once you've learned the scripting language it will take you only 5 minutes to include a new spell or special ability (without new graphics of course).
Just a few question,

Will we be able to dl all the custom maps on something like a map dling server, or will we have to join the game itself to dl it?

Also, is there a way to make the game in first person, or are we limited to third person?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Freelancer

Alexander Flegler has good reputation

You are limited to third person. Even if first person was possible it wouldn't make any sense as the engine isn't optimized for this low angle view (and neither are the ingame options). In case of creating a first person mod it's still better to use the Source, Cry or Unreal engine.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSlayer View Post
Just a few question,

Also, is there a way to make the game in first person, or are we limited to third person?

Hum... This is a RTS, where did you get third person from? this isn't WoW or gears of war.

Well I guess if you have only 1 hero its a type of third person view,,, I guess.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

iceblast has a default reputation

Is there any xml in the coding?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
Hum... This is a RTS, where did you get third person from? this isn't WoW or gears of war.

Well I guess if you have only 1 hero its a type of third person view,,, I guess.
I guarantee that will be one of the first custom maps made. It was by far the most popular type of map in Warcraft III, and I don't think matters will be different here.