Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

The Methods of War - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008, 11:34 AM

fyro11 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by olauwers View Post
Well, yes, only, in an RTS, by then, all of your nice batallions will have been shot by the enemy's archers...
Like in real-life? You wouldn't stand them that close.

Ok, I suppose more people do not want it, so I'll stop arguing this point. It's not a big deal, anyway, so no problems.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:05 PM

olauwers has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyro11 View Post
Like in real-life? You wouldn't stand them that close.

Ok, I suppose more people do not want it, so I'll stop arguing this point. It's not a big deal, anyway, so no problems.
Oh no, I like it very much. I only think it should be implemented in such a way that you actually stand a chance lasting through your position-taking. In real-life, you would not be defeated by the enemy's archers, as first, the enemy will hae to observe how much and which kind of troops there are, must get their army dressed and weaponed (because, yes, in real life, they did not constantly ran around in suits that weigh 50 kilos, with a weapon of 5 kilos, in which it would get really, really hot), they have to get them on the walls, ...
Basicly, they have to do the same as the enemy, but then inside the castle.

However, in RTS, your archers will already be on the wall in full numbers.

Thus, if you can balance it out for the ones in the castle to have some sort of delay in attacking, then this would be the ultimate awesomeness.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM

LordSlayer has a default reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by olauwers View Post
Thus, if you can balance it out for the ones in the castle to have some sort of delay in attacking, then this would be the ultimate awesomeness.
Might be good, as long as the delay doesn't aply if they knew in advance that a confrontation was imminent.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

olauwers has a default reputation

Well, of course, but still, it should be balanced. Otherwise it'll just be turtleing like hell. Which I like very, very, very much, but which will probably drive away most players.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Onebadterran has a default reputation

Stamina sounds like a great idea; personally from my experiences it makes for an interesting game, even if it is just limited to how much a unit can charge the enemy.

All types of units should recieve weariness, including siege. Siege units are powered by real people, inside of the battering ram, loading the trebuchet/catapult (two different things) rocks, pooring oil to set fire to the inner city, etc.. Those people would get tired just as the rest of the army would during travels.

Even with archers firing they wont necessarily kill. In ancient times there was this great invention called the shield and platemail armor, works great against just about any type of weapon (not including siege/advanced gunpowder). The archers would also probably have limited fire arrows/arrows and would have to go to a tower or some station where there are arrow stocks ready to be replaced.

Also, boiling oil on the walls to stop invaders as well as ladders (along with the other siege weapons) would add more possibilties, ladders being the first siege units that are able to be built and boiling oil an advanced defensive/offensive technology.

Last edited by Onebadterran : 09-22-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

If you look at the screenshots of the men fortresses on the website, you can see engineers standing by pots of boiling oil on the walls. It looks pretty cool
And I think that weariness for siege units should not affect damage so much, but aim and for trebuchets trajectory (so okay, damage there ). That would make more sense.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Lordadamar has a default reputation
Default Stamina

For all of you that like stamina take time to play Medieval Total War II, I have been in Mutliplayer battles with No time with 4000 troops on the map Battles I should I have won hands down and loose because of Stamina..

Picture you have 600 archers beating down there lines you cant rush them with your infantry cause they have a 1000 Mouted units which will run you down and beat you like a red headed step child, and you archers suddenly get tired and shoting slows to nothing, your a sitting duck.. cause who the hell carries enough pikemen to stop that many mounted units.

I guess theres goods and bads to stamina but if theres no battle time limit who knows who will win...

Which brings up the question" Will there be Battle time limits? "
Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Stop firing because of lack of stamina? Jeez, how long where they firing for (their time)? That sounds ridiculous.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Lordadamar has a default reputation

I tried to get an accurate time but with variables like

1. amount of targets in range.

2. AI chooses a time limit for every battle. Based on units.

3. and If you choose no time limit.

its seems like 3 mins on constant attacking especially archers even if they still have 40% ammo left that are tired and shooting slows to a crawl.

and swordsman/pikemen/spearman get tired in about the same time frame and they will just stand there and get slaughtered.

Now you could argue attacking in waves but when the games AI charges 1000 men at you waves arent an option...

I hope DoF Unit AI is better I really hate it when a 500 of my troops are sent to attack and maybe only the front 50 are really attacking I would assume the Total war series couldnt work out particle collisions cause if the units are not of the same type they dont stand side by side with others and fill in the gaps
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned Acount Serfing

MrBlack103 has no reputation

I love the concept of stamina, but just to shut up all the "We hate stamina!" people out there, implement a "minimum" stamina, where your troops will still be able to fight (though have to rest to regain it), but at only 60% effectiveness or something.

I think that the only way of recharging stamina (without magic, items etc) should be to not do anything. Walking/marching should freeze stamina regeneration, fighting should drain it, and sprinting/charging etc should drain it fast. Having a hero to lead the charge could maybe affect this?