Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

In-game name different from account name - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Woofy1250 Woofy1250 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Woofy1250 has a default reputation
Default In-game name different from account name

This one's kind of a security issue. I really don't want my login name showing up to everyone in general chat. Once a potential hacker knows my login name, all he has to do is guess my password. I'm not saying it'd be easy to do it, but you're removing a layer of protection from my account that I would much rather have in place. I also tend to pick very unusual login names for my MMOs, and I really don't want these to be my public face in the game world.

Maybe this could be tied to hero customization by showing only the character's name in chat channels and to other players, once that's implemented (hopefully).

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts on this? Being too paranoid?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
knightl knightl is offline
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 436
knightl is on a good road to success
Default

i understand what you mean but there isn't any hackers on this yet at all since a hacker normally wouldn't pay for a game thats not booming with people but i know what you mean so this could get added with hero customization later on but i don't see it as important for the time being
__________________
"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
buddhist23 buddhist23 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 404
buddhist23 is having trouble understanding forum rules
Default

Would like name changes for role playing ;]
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Woofy1250 Woofy1250 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Woofy1250 has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightl View Post
i understand what you mean but there isn't any hackers on this yet at all since a hacker normally wouldn't pay for a game thats not booming with people but i know what you mean so this could get added with hero customization later on but i don't see it as important for the time being
Oh sure, but you bet there will be once it becomes profitable, and showing everyone in general chat my login name isn't going to make it harder for them to crack through account security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist23 View Post
Would like name changes for role playing ;]
This too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 PM
knightl knightl is offline
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 436
knightl is on a good road to success
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofy1250 View Post
Oh sure, but you bet there will be once it becomes profitable, and showing everyone in general chat my login name isn't going to make it harder for them to crack through account security.
yeah further down the road its possible

edit: heres josephs comment
__________________
"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens"

Last edited by knightl : 01-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Joseph Visscher's Avatar
Joseph Visscher Joseph Visscher is offline
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada B.C.
Posts: 1,279
Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation
Default

No, horrible idea as admins wont be able to properly identify you so we wont be able to copy your towns faster for fixing bugs etc that remain on your account, aswell how frikken easy can ur password be if you worried about it? what is it 12345678?

we can reset your password and even restore all your towns from a weak before, so if you get hacked, simple email us with the email attached to your account something a hacker CANNOT HACK. we will then simply restore your account with a new password and restore all lost towns if such situation was to happen, we could also trace back the ip address that the hacker logged in as and permanently ban that ip address if it is a static ip and or if that ip address is linked to another account, well,,, proper punishment be given for the suspected hacker's primary dof account including possible cd key bans (kicked out of game completely).

You all accept the game's EULA and by doing such we reserve our right to terminate your key and prevent you from playing dof all together if you do such 'illegal' activity such as hacking another people's accounts.

If you are truly worried about your accounts safety, make sure to make your password in these forums different than the one ingame, so if there are problems give me a pm and I'll whip out the game ban hammer if needed.

another big big big safety net is to have forum email and account name exactly the same as ingame. take Woofy1250 for example. I dont know what your in game account name is even though i searched for all ingame accounts with your email of ***alex_8@hotmail.com (first 3 char blimped out for privacy reasons)
In your situation if your main account was to be hacked and you contacted me with Woofy1250 public forum account, i would not be able to help you unless you used your ingame email to email us.) even then it would be hard to tie the two accounts together.

__________________
Joseph B. Visscher - JBV3737

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 01-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Neinth Neinth is offline
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 356
Neinth is someone to look uptoNeinth is someone to look upto
Default

would suggest using passwords you can easily remmeber,but with numbers and caplital/lower case letters

these make it hard to guess,and rather difficult for amatuer hackers to brute force,specially if you dont use pet/loved ones names and numbers involving your social security or birthday,or phone number.

But passwords are like locked doors.They keep honest people out.But if someone wants to get in........

And of course using different passwords for forum and game and e-mail is always a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 AM
White935 White935 is offline
Orc Sect:
Shaman
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 289
White935 has fair reputation
Default

In the future perhaps we can name our heroes. along when we can costumize his apperance, weapons stats and abilities no? Like my hero will be called Thagūrz
__________________
"Orks is never beaten in battle, if we wins we wins, if we die we die so it don't count as beat, an' if we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always come back for another go!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 AM
andreicde's Avatar
andreicde andreicde is offline
Elven Sect:
Treant
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mirkwood
Posts: 689
andreicde has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White935 View Post
In the future perhaps we can name our heroes. along when we can costumize his apperance, weapons stats and abilities no? Like my hero will be called Thagūrz
i totally agree with that hehe. i want to name my hero Arkantos ! But yeah don't worry too much about hackers guys,devs can reset stuff when needed and they would do it if something like that would happend.
__________________
IGN ingame: Arkantos
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Woofy1250 Woofy1250 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Woofy1250 has a default reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
No, horrible idea as admins wont be able to properly identify you so we wont be able to copy your towns faster for fixing bugs etc that remain on your account, aswell how frikken easy can ur password be if you worried about it? what is it 12345678?

we can reset your password and even restore all your towns from a weak before, so if you get hacked, simple email us with the email attached to your account something a hacker CANNOT HACK. we will then simply restore your account with a new password and restore all lost towns if such situation was to happen, we could also trace back the ip address that the hacker logged in as and permanently ban that ip address if it is a static ip and or if that ip address is linked to another account, well,,, proper punishment be given for the suspected hacker's primary dof account including possible cd key bans (kicked out of game completely).

You all accept the game's EULA and by doing such we reserve our right to terminate your key and prevent you from playing dof all together if you do such 'illegal' activity such as hacking another people's accounts.

If you are truly worried about your accounts safety, make sure to make your password in these forums different than the one ingame, so if there are problems give me a pm and I'll whip out the game ban hammer if needed.

another big big big safety net is to have forum email and account name exactly the same as ingame. take Woofy1250 for example. I dont know what your in game account name is even though i searched for all ingame accounts with your email of ***alex_8@hotmail.com (first 3 char blimped out for privacy reasons)
In your situation if your main account was to be hacked and you contacted me with Woofy1250 public forum account, i would not be able to help you unless you used your ingame email to email us.) even then it would be hard to tie the two accounts together.

I did mention I'm paranoid when it comes to mmo account security and online passwords in general, so I'm using different logins and emails for my forum and game accounts. Likewise, my password isn't 12345678, but what about joe blow who doesn't know how to create tough passwords? Consider the MMOs that go in for overkill on their account security, like RIFT, to keep from the inevitable PR nightmare when there's a rash of hackings. I appreciate admins personally getting involved in recovering my account and my towns, but what do you do if there's a hundred players who all get hit at the same time? Do you wish you had had tougher security or do you pull all-nighters all weekend to sort their accounts out? Basically I'm saying 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

Really my main issue is that I don't want my bizarre game login name to be my public face in the in-game community. The option to customize what name shows up to other players would be terrific, and admins would still be able to see what my login is. Essentially I'm talking about basic MMO character customization, and the option to show other players in the game world my hero's name rather than my account login name. I don't see how that can be such a horrible and unworkable idea if every MMO I've played does exactly that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:20 AM.

ESRB Rated T
US/CANADA
PEGI 16
EUROPE
USK 16
GERMANY

privacy policy   |   Copyright © Reverie World Studios INC.

Dawn of Fantasy and Reverie World Studios are trademarks of Reverie World Studios, Inc. Developed by Reverie World Studios, inc. All Rights Reserved. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.