Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

In-game name different from account name - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Woofy1250 has a default reputation
Default In-game name different from account name

This one's kind of a security issue. I really don't want my login name showing up to everyone in general chat. Once a potential hacker knows my login name, all he has to do is guess my password. I'm not saying it'd be easy to do it, but you're removing a layer of protection from my account that I would much rather have in place. I also tend to pick very unusual login names for my MMOs, and I really don't want these to be my public face in the game world.

Maybe this could be tied to hero customization by showing only the character's name in chat channels and to other players, once that's implemented (hopefully).

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts on this? Being too paranoid?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

knightl is on a good road to success

i understand what you mean but there isn't any hackers on this yet at all since a hacker normally wouldn't pay for a game thats not booming with people but i know what you mean so this could get added with hero customization later on but i don't see it as important for the time being
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM

buddhist23 is having trouble understanding forum rules

Would like name changes for role playing ;]
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightl View Post
i understand what you mean but there isn't any hackers on this yet at all since a hacker normally wouldn't pay for a game thats not booming with people but i know what you mean so this could get added with hero customization later on but i don't see it as important for the time being
Oh sure, but you bet there will be once it becomes profitable, and showing everyone in general chat my login name isn't going to make it harder for them to crack through account security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist23 View Post
Would like name changes for role playing ;]
This too.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

knightl is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofy1250 View Post
Oh sure, but you bet there will be once it becomes profitable, and showing everyone in general chat my login name isn't going to make it harder for them to crack through account security.
yeah further down the road its possible

edit: heres josephs comment

Last edited by knightl : 01-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

No, horrible idea as admins wont be able to properly identify you so we wont be able to copy your towns faster for fixing bugs etc that remain on your account, aswell how frikken easy can ur password be if you worried about it? what is it 12345678?

we can reset your password and even restore all your towns from a weak before, so if you get hacked, simple email us with the email attached to your account something a hacker CANNOT HACK. we will then simply restore your account with a new password and restore all lost towns if such situation was to happen, we could also trace back the ip address that the hacker logged in as and permanently ban that ip address if it is a static ip and or if that ip address is linked to another account, well,,, proper punishment be given for the suspected hacker's primary dof account including possible cd key bans (kicked out of game completely).

You all accept the game's EULA and by doing such we reserve our right to terminate your key and prevent you from playing dof all together if you do such 'illegal' activity such as hacking another people's accounts.

If you are truly worried about your accounts safety, make sure to make your password in these forums different than the one ingame, so if there are problems give me a pm and I'll whip out the game ban hammer if needed.

another big big big safety net is to have forum email and account name exactly the same as ingame. take Woofy1250 for example. I dont know what your in game account name is even though i searched for all ingame accounts with your email of ***alex_8@hotmail.com (first 3 char blimped out for privacy reasons)
In your situation if your main account was to be hacked and you contacted me with Woofy1250 public forum account, i would not be able to help you unless you used your ingame email to email us.) even then it would be hard to tie the two accounts together.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 01-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neinth is someone to look uptoNeinth is someone to look upto

would suggest using passwords you can easily remmeber,but with numbers and caplital/lower case letters

these make it hard to guess,and rather difficult for amatuer hackers to brute force,specially if you dont use pet/loved ones names and numbers involving your social security or birthday,or phone number.

But passwords are like locked doors.They keep honest people out.But if someone wants to get in........

And of course using different passwords for forum and game and e-mail is always a good idea.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

White935 has fair reputation

In the future perhaps we can name our heroes. along when we can costumize his apperance, weapons stats and abilities no? Like my hero will be called Thagūrz
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

andreicde has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by White935 View Post
In the future perhaps we can name our heroes. along when we can costumize his apperance, weapons stats and abilities no? Like my hero will be called Thagūrz
i totally agree with that hehe. i want to name my hero Arkantos ! But yeah don't worry too much about hackers guys,devs can reset stuff when needed and they would do it if something like that would happend.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
No, horrible idea as admins wont be able to properly identify you so we wont be able to copy your towns faster for fixing bugs etc that remain on your account, aswell how frikken easy can ur password be if you worried about it? what is it 12345678?

we can reset your password and even restore all your towns from a weak before, so if you get hacked, simple email us with the email attached to your account something a hacker CANNOT HACK. we will then simply restore your account with a new password and restore all lost towns if such situation was to happen, we could also trace back the ip address that the hacker logged in as and permanently ban that ip address if it is a static ip and or if that ip address is linked to another account, well,,, proper punishment be given for the suspected hacker's primary dof account including possible cd key bans (kicked out of game completely).

You all accept the game's EULA and by doing such we reserve our right to terminate your key and prevent you from playing dof all together if you do such 'illegal' activity such as hacking another people's accounts.

If you are truly worried about your accounts safety, make sure to make your password in these forums different than the one ingame, so if there are problems give me a pm and I'll whip out the game ban hammer if needed.

another big big big safety net is to have forum email and account name exactly the same as ingame. take Woofy1250 for example. I dont know what your in game account name is even though i searched for all ingame accounts with your email of ***alex_8@hotmail.com (first 3 char blimped out for privacy reasons)
In your situation if your main account was to be hacked and you contacted me with Woofy1250 public forum account, i would not be able to help you unless you used your ingame email to email us.) even then it would be hard to tie the two accounts together.

I did mention I'm paranoid when it comes to mmo account security and online passwords in general, so I'm using different logins and emails for my forum and game accounts. Likewise, my password isn't 12345678, but what about joe blow who doesn't know how to create tough passwords? Consider the MMOs that go in for overkill on their account security, like RIFT, to keep from the inevitable PR nightmare when there's a rash of hackings. I appreciate admins personally getting involved in recovering my account and my towns, but what do you do if there's a hundred players who all get hit at the same time? Do you wish you had had tougher security or do you pull all-nighters all weekend to sort their accounts out? Basically I'm saying 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

Really my main issue is that I don't want my bizarre game login name to be my public face in the in-game community. The option to customize what name shows up to other players would be terrific, and admins would still be able to see what my login is. Essentially I'm talking about basic MMO character customization, and the option to show other players in the game world my hero's name rather than my account login name. I don't see how that can be such a horrible and unworkable idea if every MMO I've played does exactly that.