Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Village Sock has a default reputation
Default Mafia anyone?

I'm pretty sure none of you will ever have heard of mafia before, but it's basically a fun game that can be played onbetween an online community, and although at first it may seem confusing, you'll soon found it is a fun game to play and great at bringing the community together. So I was thinking of hosting one for the benefit of you guys. I'd keep it simple and themed to DOF. I've played in a number of mafias and hosted a couple. So please if your interested read on!

Heres the best explanation of what mafia is:
------------------------------------------
Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.
Sometimes in larger games there may be more than one mafia sides, but these mafias will also be competing agaisnt the other mafias as well as town. Their may also be a serial killer, which is like a normal mafia team, except is just one player trying to be the sole survivor of the game.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role. You are not allowed to communicate with other people at night unless your role e-mail says you can.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and Day begins. However, sometimes townies may also have a night action to make depending on their role, which will be a benefit to the town. So, the mod may have to wait upon townies to send in roles as well.

During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is once again Night.

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.
--------------------------------------------------------

Like I said it may seem complicated when you first hear it, it'll make more sense when you first start to play it. There are some basic rules that you will also want to know, as i'm certain it will be most of your first times playing mafia I will be pretty leniant on these:
1) Do not quote your role e-mail or naything esle the mod (me) sends or e-mails you.
2) Once you've posted tyr not to edit your post, even if you've made an awful spelling mistake XD
3) No talking/strategizing during the night, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
4) During the day, players can vote to lynch. To cast your vote type Vote: Name. Be sure to bold it!
5) If you change your vote, type Unvote: Name before your new vote. GAin making sure to bold it. If you vote someone and then vote someone else, your second vote will not be counted until you unvote and then vote that person again.

And most importantly STAY ACTIVE! I don't want inactive people dragigng the game down. People who are continually inactive may result in a modkill (where the host, me, kills someone for a break of rules are inactivity). Obviously here I wouldn't kill someone for break of rules, unless they did it repeatedly, or someone quoted the role e-mail, I shouted at them, then someone else does it.

If you've made it this far, i'd just like to say thank you for managing to read through that block of tests and still be interested. To be honest you can easily pick mafia up without needing to know the basics and rules I just provided, but I thought it best to give them to you.
If you want to show an interest and wish to play just sign up here by providing your r-mail address, so I can send you role e-mail and you can send me any actions e.c.t. The theme for the mafia shall be Dawn Of Fantasy and I shall try to keep it simple as mafia. So please just put your name down and then I cans ee how many people we've got and I can form a mafia around that, whether we get 7 people or 25 people!
Or if you have any questions about it don't be afraid to ask me here!