Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Clunky Controls - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM

Zackreaver has fair reputation
Default Clunky Controls

I'm sure this is already in the works, but figure I'll make a thread with the name for search reference.

Controls are clunky, not much else I can say, it's very difficult to issue a direct attack order on enemy units, since we have to basically right click the model, which can be very small, and misclicking results in our ranged units walking right next to the enemy. When it comes to "real-time" strategy, controls are a defining factor here, wrong moves can result in heavy casualties. Right now it's only safe to attack move, but also it's difficult to tell if an attack move was successfully done, and it's also difficult to tell that were still stuck in the attack move mode, a little more visual representation aside from the "Attack move" button being lit up.

Heres my suggestion, for targetting enemies, the enemy battalion flags should have a wider click radius, were talking a bigger circle here. More importantly, how about having the flags high light a bright flash or color indicating that our mouse is hovering over our desired target, I want my cavalry to charge into those archers, not the pikemen who have their flag right next to it. The reason I say the battalion flags is this would be easier than making the selection radius on the models physically large, that could be a little annoying when a stray unit happens to walk in the way of your mouse when your trying to click something else, the flags are less numerous and more direct in terms of attack target. In terms of units without flags, I'm hoping they are just big enough to click that it's not a problem

In terms of attack/attackmove differentiating, Aside from just having a toggle, there should be a hotkey or direct command for attack move. Or how about a text on each individual units indicating what their current order is. That way we can check to see if our unit is attack moving, moving, attacking, or using a spell.

Now in terms of unit selection, right now I don't know if theres a way to deselect units that are already selected? I might have not found it, but if I'm currently selecting a swordsman, 2 archers, and a crossbowmen, if I wanted to only select the ranged units it would be alot more convenient just to drop the swordsmen from my selection, rather than having to reselect only the ranged units manually. If there is a deselect, I suggest moving it to "Hold ctrl and click units to remove them from selection."

Ok, now maybe I'll mention something about the UI here, I notice that certain units are grouped by unit types mostly at the top, some units are kinda in spots they don't belong (mainly the dwarf units) thing is, it's very difficult to tell which units are critically injured and in danger of getting completely wiped out. Considering loss of a squad results in a loss of all that gained experience, I think we need a little better indication of our units demise. I think that the simplist solution would be that when a units life reaches red, or close to red, it gets put into it's own little selection along with other units in red health. That way we simply click this to select our critically injured units and get them the heck out of there, rather than selecting every single unit we have, and trying to remember which units we pulled back and which ones we haven't yet.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Welcome to our community.

Great post, and we are planning to address the controls in the near future.

Quote:
for targetting enemies, the enemy battalion flags should have a wider click radius, were talking a bigger circle here
This is our first priority, as it`s easy to add and will make a world of a difference.

Quote:
If there is a deselect, I suggest moving it to "Hold ctrl and click units to remove them from selection."
There is no deselect command right now, but I agreed we really need to add one. This will also be included in the near future.

Quote:
In terms of attack/attackmove differentiating, Aside from just having a toggle, there should be a hotkey or direct command for attack move. Or how about a text on each individual units indicating what their current order is. That way we can check to see if our unit is attack moving, moving, attacking, or using a spell.
I agree about a hotkey, however I`m not clear about your idea of indicating this. I don`t recall seeing this in other RTS games, and not sure how or where can we show it on the GUI. Any ideas?

Quote:
Considering loss of a squad results in a loss of all that gained experience, I think we need a little better indication of our units demise. I think that the simplest solution would be that when a units life reaches red, or close to red, it gets put into it's own little selection along with other units in red health.
We played around with this idea and couldn`t find any good way to implement this. Our plan instead to make these badly injured units try and flee from combat on their own, so they would automatically run to the edge of the map outside of player control - and if they make it, they`ll leave to fight another day. However - this is quite a bit of work on our end, and we don`t think this will be added until late December.

Once again thanks for the valuable feedback!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 AM

Zackreaver has fair reputation

Well in regards to the text showing the units current command, I think I've seen it in at most maybe 1 or 2 RTS. I think mainly I remember seeing it in the classing stronghold game when you click on a villager, though I'm sure I might have seen it somewhere else.

But at any reason I figure each command can have a certain string relating to it's state, as for where it can show up, it can show up somewhere on the stat card at the bottom left, it's really just an idea I thought up that would be convenient given the current system we have here, right now it's hard to tell if my archers are attack moving, or about to go melee with ogres.

More importantly, I believe I played another RTS with a system that makes low health units easily selectable. Basically, when a units health reaches red, it gets added to it's own "Red HP Selection" button up at the top, where it is automatically removed from if it's health goes back up to a yellow bar. I figure this way we can better keep track of our weakened units anyway.

Or alternatively, at the top where you keep all the unit portraits, have the unit with the lowest life bar show their life bar and portrait, that way we know which unit is most likely in danger.

Edit: I think one of them might be Kohan II: Kings of War, but I'll have to look into it the next time I get the chance.
Edit2: After reinstalling Kohan, I realized this wasn't the game I was thinking of, good memories though.

I will attempt to research into where some of my ideas came from, I'm certain there might be soemthing I'm missing in terms of details. But examples speak a thousand words, so I'll look for it.

Last edited by Zackreaver : 12-12-2011 at 09:08 PM.