Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

How would you rate Dawn of Fantasy? - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dawn of Fantasy?
1/5 9 13.04%
2/5 9 13.04%
3/5 14 20.29%
4/5 22 31.88%
5/5 15 21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Dreamwalker has good reputation

Now that I bought the game, I have to say that I was right when I gave it a 4. To me, it's really, really fun; stuff needs fixing sure, but my bugs actually get fixed in hours and days, instead of months like in most other games.

What can I say? I've always loved DOF, even when it was nothing but a sad looking webpage. And now, an actual game...I can't wait to see what's next!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Morteunious has a default reputation

I never found ratings very helpful. Never understodd what those numbers are suppose to mean, if anything. I'll just throw out some general observations. . .

First of all, the game is still rather buggy but I'll look at things assuming it all works perfectly.

What kind of game is this exactly: a regular ole RTS or an online-persistent-world RTS? If its the latter I still believe your open/unrestricted pvp is gonna be a problem (though, this isn't necessarily the case if the focus is offline.) It will drive away a lot more customers then it brings in. There's also a correlation between pvp-centric games and the quality of the community. Basically, the more focus on the pvp the worse the players get (personality wise.) PvP is a nice, OPTIONAL side distraction but how many players will spend 20$+ and several rl days building a fortress/army only to have it burned to the ground in minutes? (either due to lag or just being horribly outmatched) Then just as you start to rebuild it someone else comes along and demolishes it again. . .

This game is in a good position to dominate an under-represented genre (online RTS), if you can get the content out quickly enough. The persistent online kingdom is what sets this game apart from the other major RTS games on the market, my belief is if you can exploit this fact DoF will be a major hit.

The "depth" of town and unit development is ok but feels rather shallow compared to other RTS games. Things like upgrading (both in function and graphics) the individual buildings, more walls, more unit upgrades/additional skills would help. Think the devs stated they're are adding this in eventually though?

Pacing - in the online kingdom is very very slooowwww. Mostly in the earlier "phases" (does pick up later on), maybe able to fix this by adding more quests or just "more to do." Slow pacing isn't necessarily a bad thing, some players may prefer it.

The endgame - All there is to do now is pvp and the occasional NPC town siege in-between bouts. If you can expand upon this may greatly help player retention. Maybe like, some form of dungeon crawl or further town development. One features from Freesky I did like were the "NPC-zones." Basically, one of your armies zoned into an "instance" and wandered around on a map sacking various NPC strongholds, culminating in "boss-fight" (one large high-hp unit with a much larger army.) Part of the implementation in Freesky was the entire server shared the same instance, so other players could enter a zone you were clearing and pvp would ensue.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Great post Morteunious.

To cover some of your suggestions/questions:

PvP Games.
Great point - and we`ll make sure PvP always remains options, as well as never imbalanced or destructive.
DoF`s PvP games be it with allies or 1 on 1 will always be balanced (army strength wise).
Lag issues will be fixed before we introduce ally play (lag is caused by pathfinding system that`s being completely redesigned).
In addition player Stronghold are not getting burned to the ground, player might just need to do some repairs after. And even if defending player looses he gets great rewards - in Influence and also looting all the remaining corpses.
Players can always pay-out and not engage in PvP (this automatically adds 30 minute PvP protection) - the pay out penalty is not that large.
In addition we are introducing long-term PvP protection - player simply pays a large amount of resources and can`t be attacked for the next 24-48 hours.

New Content/End-Game e.t.c
Our goal is to add as much new content as our players can handle - as long as the player base is there - we`ll keep on adding. However - bug fixes and some key features - like Alliances, Guilds e.t.c will come first.
After that we`ll switch all of our resources on adding new gameplay elements, new quests, new buildings, town upgrades, new units - not to mention naval combat, magic and everything that comes with that

Future...
Quote:
This game is in a good position to dominate an under-represented genre (online RTS), if you can get the content out quickly enough.
I couldn`t have said this better. But at the same time - we don`t want to rush. As you might have noticed - our community is still relatively small. And our approach is to hold back mass advertisement and keep player population low until we feel the game is a superb product - and we are in position to start weekly roll-outs of new content. Lets hope things work out
Old 11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

Novakiller has good reputation

There have been some great posts in this thread, im looking forward to what people will say next lol... but i'll just add this in there as I do agree with Mort. to a point about the "making more stuff to do" for the player, and I remember when i first heard about this game, the fact that we would be fighting dragons in the game, and as far as im aware, i think its probably one of the only games that i can recall ever doing that!! never lone actually controlling dragons as well....

but i had this vision where we would be hunting down dragon layers!!! and there could be several ways to implement this, one way would be to have some sort of "Community Live" event where all players can take part in hunting down or taking out Dragon Layers and push it to be part of the main storyline somehow, to immerse players more in the world that they effect !!! Have it so that several locations on the map appear to everyone, so you can rush in with our armies and take part in that instant, this would add a lot to do with players involved in other things together not just PvP actions...

Another way you could implement this would be to have Alliance Only quests, and this could be part of it, so even though your not PVP'ing but you are all still taking part together in something big and feeling of a well deserved round of beers at the local alliance Inn...

There is litterly SO MUCH STUFF you can add to this world, its actually quite insane what you could make possible to do, its not often you get to be part of something that could revolutionize an entre genre and i strongly think this game be it, of course this DOES have to be done right, and takes time, MMOs always take their time anyway, because there is always so much to do.

Hometown depth can ALWAYS be improved, for a start making the hometown maps bigger in physical size, to add more things to do locally rather then go hunting around the entire world map to do stuff, adding new buildings that do various things like a Tavern to make morale go up with soldiers, which could affect how they fight? probably not but hey its something else to think about? could have it so morale plays a part in how often they hit or miss with weapon accuracey or something.

When it comes to MMOs, End-Game content isn't really a real option, because its a persistent world where nothing stops, you are forever thriving to make yourself bigger, better, stronger, making your friends bigger, and stronger, building up your community of friends, you could even go as far as adding Racial Warfare Quests or events, where we're pitched against each others races.

the overall game is heading in such the right direction it gets me excited just what might be possible in the future, but little steps, little steps, if you start adding nothing but content, you can loose sight of whats important, and the fact that the devs do actually!! play the game, REALLY helps the games development.