Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

castle/keep/homecity design - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Scenario Design and Modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

White935 has fair reputation
Default castle/keep/homecity design

Is it possible to make homecity designs in the editor, with al said functions required to operate it?. admittingly i dont have time to learn it atm (couple of months til my current university projects are finished then we'll talk).

figured perhaps in the future if players design interesting keeps/fortresses if the dev's approve their balanced it might be possible to implement them? as alternative "fortresses" styles. perhaps even Add the Same Map as each region is in atm, but differ the wall style, and placements, to allow each region to have different alterntives and styles.

Just asking out of curisouty.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

It's possible - you guys have all the same tools that the official level designers had.

However, I think the stakes are too high for it to be realistic. The DOF editor is extremely powerful. Even if the map looks balanced, we (Reverie) would have no idea what all went into it. While you likely had good intentions, it's all too easy to screw up the game with invisible or sunken enemy units or other problems that take too much time to look into than it's worth. It's the single most important map in the game, so we need to be super careful about what goes into it. Plus, there are a ton of regulations like what walls to use for the first layer, what walls to use for the second, etc.

If you want to see your designs in the game, I'd recommend just practicing with the editor and showing off what you make so that when Reverie is looking for new level designers to bring on board, your name will be the first to come to up.

We will likely have chances for more aesthetic maps and NPC towns to make it into the game, however. These maps are much lesser liabilities as only your hero unit will be able to interact with them.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

Ahaha, a bit of wrong line of work for me :=), am a economic student, well actually economic and it (digital logistic). so not exactly my cup of tea, but i enjoy learning different things (i did 3d max back in the days of CnC regengade for mods). but i figured it would be amusing if players could design their own keeps :=) but alas i understand theres to many factors involved, you'd end up risking having us break the game <.<
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

I'm Marketing and Economics, but some of my best memories with Reverie were with designing some of the levels.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

well no matter what kind of job one get, you'll have to be flexible, espcially in smaller companies ( i worked as daily management for a few months in a small company (well not that small) and now working part time while i study), from experience you might have one specific task, but usually you end up doing a bit of everything on the side, which is a good as doing one thing to much gets boring in the long run :=)
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

ThatguyAds1298 has fair reputation

I think it would be a dream come true for many gamers to be able to get in on some design work for games, I know id love it, Lots of hard work and got to give it your all.

Ill take a look at the editor at some point, Maybe dabble with it a bit see what can be created.