Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Unit Specific Animations - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

i watch some of the animation in the trailer with an one v one its was kewl...it was a man an a orc fighting
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Units have the ability to block to parry attacks, their chance to do so will depend on their level and the level of the attacker, also the type of unit/attack/weapon the attacker is using as well as the type of unit/weapon the defender is using. For example, an archer is going to be hard pressed to block or parry an attack from a cutting or stabbing weapon with a wooden bow.

There will possibly be other attacks and defenses units will learn at higher levels such as berserking, ripostes, and better combinations.

Continuing on with our theme of "realistic fantasy" we are trying to get away from the whole cut and dry math of RTS where Warrior does 8 damage, or even Warrior does 8HP damage or 6AP damage. There are a lot of variables that go into combat in DoF.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

Wow, a game that gets away from the basic blah blah blah does so much damage, i'm intrigued so far, though i'd like to know some of the other factors.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

Silent_Lamb has a default reputation
Default Veterans

That is very good to hear, I like that. That was one of the things I always loved about Medieval Total War 2, when units were parrying attacks, getting into cool sword animations and all of that, it was very cool.

This is sort of a suggestion that didn't really warrant it's own thread. I know ranks will be in this game, but to be honest I've never really seen ranks do much for a game besides "Well it does more damage and I'm going to be a little sad when this unit dies."

Try to think Band of Brothers, World War 2, Veteran units that have fought with each other sinse the start of the war (Or the start of the game) fight stronger next to each other but they also share a very good friendship. When you see one go down you feel almost heart broken. It would be interesting to see that veteran units had some sort of extra oomph, it's hard to place my finger on it, that made them feel more special. Not just extra attack and defense. Unfortunately it's hard to explain what I mean, something to make the level of attachment greater.

I would also like to hear units, such as scouts, say things. For example, your scout is perched on top of a mountain, he sees an army coming at him. Are you supposed to keep an eye on the mini map? Well you should be, but the scout should also sort of give you a heads up. It would be nifty (but not necessary) if the response was also based on how big the army is. "Small unit moving your way sire" or "By god(s), the enemy army marches upon us sire!" or something along those lines.

Also a bit of a concern on the topic of veteran units. Will you be able to restock a squad with fresh troops? Say your veteran group loses a couple troops, will you be able to fill that back up back at town?

Last edited by Silent_Lamb : 07-24-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

W O W T H I S G A M E P O W N S
Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Lamb View Post
That is very good to hear, I like that. That was one of the things I always loved about Medieval Total War 2, when units were parrying attacks, getting into cool sword animations and all of that, it was very cool.

This is sort of a suggestion that didn't really warrant it's own thread. I know ranks will be in this game, but to be honest I've never really seen ranks do much for a game besides "Well it does more damage and I'm going to be a little sad when this unit dies."

Try to think Band of Brothers, World War 2, Veteran units that have fought with each other sinse the start of the war (Or the start of the game) fight stronger next to each other but they also share a very good friendship. When you see one go down you feel almost heart broken. It would be interesting to see that veteran units had some sort of extra oomph, it's hard to place my finger on it, that made them feel more special. Not just extra attack and defense. Unfortunately it's hard to explain what I mean, something to make the level of attachment greater.

I would also like to hear units, such as scouts, say things. For example, your scout is perched on top of a mountain, he sees an army coming at him. Are you supposed to keep an eye on the mini map? Well you should be, but the scout should also sort of give you a heads up. It would be nifty (but not necessary) if the response was also based on how big the army is. "Small unit moving your way sire" or "By god(s), the enemy army marches upon us sire!" or something along those lines.

Also a bit of a concern on the topic of veteran units. Will you be able to restock a squad with fresh troops? Say your veteran group loses a couple troops, will you be able to fill that back up back at town?
Yeah cool ideas. I think dead units could heal up like in BFME with a well.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 07-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

I definitely want to see you be able to "restock" your battalions so to speak by just giving them new units. Perhaps it could be done like in Company of Heroes where if the squad is standing next to your building you can make a que of soldiers to replace the lost ones. In BFME it was done poorly as it took forever for squads to heal back up and there was virtually no way to replace losses when playing one of the evil factions.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:44 AM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

If there is a squad restock system I think it should be done Total War series style where after the battle you have an option to ressuply all squads that suffered casualties at your stronghold. Though if it is a veteran squad XP should decrease based on casualties taken. In RTW it was very unrealistic that one guy being say 5th level survived and when you restock the squad everyone is 5th level.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Gallivan has a default reputation

I don't think it would be hard to put in an algorithm where if 3 guys are level 3 and 7 are level 4, you'll end up with a unit that is rank 3.7. That would simply mean they are 70% of the way to rank four.

So...it would be:

((men/total men) * current rank) + etc. for how many ranks you have in your squad.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM

ShadowyMoon has a default reputation

I know it won't be hard i just hope it's not forgotten like in RTW