Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Resources? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Reverie World Studios - Advertising Art Director

Ryan Zelazny has a default reputation

Ogres are part of the Orc race.

Dragons have different types of dragons which will have different abilities, as well as drakes (humanoid dragon hybrids) that will serve as resource gatherers and basic foot soldiers. So far the Dragon playstyle is slated to be high cost for high gain, meaning your dragons are going to cost tons of resources to build, but are well worth it.

One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned is that our concept for fog of war is based on line of sight, so if you have a dragon who can fly, they will have a huge line of sight, and give you a great strategic advantage. Also can be said for the other races if you place your scouts on mountains or cliffs, you will get a better vantage point.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

I'm curious to see how dragons will turn out. My experience with factions built around high cost / high gain is that they're very decisive, either winning everything or losing everything.

In any case, it's good to see that scouting will play an important role in this game. I've always hated titles where scouting is sidelined or difficult to approach since they can boil down to luck as to who catches the other at an inopportune moment first.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:21 PM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

kewl but we all know who realy is a dragon

he he he
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Sharku has a default reputation

Can we assume that players who micro-manage their economy are going to be at a great economical advantage then those who just assign guys and focus on battles? And will Trade and Fishing play any part in the game?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

jap88 has a default reputation

For the first question i'd imagine so, for the second one probably but i do not know.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharku View Post
Can we assume that players who micro-manage their economy are going to be at a great economical advantage then those who just assign guys and focus on battles? And will Trade and Fishing play any part in the game?
I'd say yes to both.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Irish_PXzyan has a default reputation

You will have rushers and Eco gamers in every single RTS game Its great fun! Rushers fear looseing a battle..although they beg to differ...its true! I used to be a MASS rusher and looseing was something I dreaded!! so rushing made sure id win most of the time

But as I got older..blah blah blah!! I found rushing to be extremely boring and you dont get to enjoy the game. Now a days I am a major Eco booster and its good...if you can withstand all the rushers attacking you so early on..you are going to destroy them later with your technology
Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Javier has a default reputation

Dawn of Fantasy will probably feature a balance between rushing/turtling. The best strategy should to be attack, gain map control, and at the same time expand your base and set up defenses. I hope it's not sided, as some games that only favor rush. Turtling should be an option, with its pros and cons, same as rushing.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

I've always felt that the ideal RTS game shouldn't have the concept of either rushing or turtling.

That is to say that "rushing" should be a normal part of gameplay. I've always felt that games should encourage you to get out there and fight over the map's resources. The goal should not be to wipe out the enemy completely (unless you have a clear advantage, in which case the game ideally should end quickly, since it's not fun for either player when the match is lopsided), but to gain a tactical advantage to take into the mid-game. You get the unique gameplay of the early segment of the match, but it's only a part of the game, not the end all. In this sense, it's not longer a "rush", just the normal early game.

As for turtling, I've always felt someone who just sits in their shell and never moves should be a player who is already defeated. Gameplay like that is slow-paced and boring; it should not be encouraged, and the best way to prevent it is ensuring those who follow that path are defeated soundly. Instead, defences should be part of a larger strategy involving counter-attacks and delay strategies. Turtling should be a method to support another strategy; hence you're actively pursuing something and the game is not stagnated.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
I've always felt that the ideal RTS game shouldn't have the concept of either rushing or turtling.

That is to say that "rushing" should be a normal part of gameplay. I've always felt that games should encourage you to get out there and fight over the map's resources. The goal should not be to wipe out the enemy completely (unless you have a clear advantage, in which case the game ideally should end quickly, since it's not fun for either player when the match is lopsided), but to gain a tactical advantage to take into the mid-game. You get the unique gameplay of the early segment of the match, but it's only a part of the game, not the end all. In this sense, it's not longer a "rush", just the normal early game.

As for turtling, I've always felt someone who just sits in their shell and never moves should be a player who is already defeated. Gameplay like that is slow-paced and boring; it should not be encouraged, and the best way to prevent it is ensuring those who follow that path are defeated soundly. Instead, defences should be part of a larger strategy involving counter-attacks and delay strategies. Turtling should be a method to support another strategy; hence you're actively pursuing something and the game is not stagnated.

I'd only turtle as a last resort once I know I will probably lose.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang