Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Developer Diary: Castle Defense - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Reverie World Studios > News & Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation
Default Developer Diary: Castle Defense

In a time of pandemonium following the recent War Without Kings, even the most peaceful settlements must be forever vigilant. Behind every shadow there is danger, behind every speech there is equivocation. While the common men, elves, and orcs see light once again in the aftermath of a horrible war, they know that it is but a facade. These are dark times, and the Great Lake has yet to see the last of its ripples. War is all that is on the horizon...

In the first Developers' Diary from Reverie World Studios, Dawn of Fantasy's Lead Writer and Assistant Producer Gordon Farrell and Media Team, headed by Danny Vink, guide players through one of the game's many modes: Castle Defense.

Developer Diary #1: Castle Defense [HD Version Coming Soon]

Castle Defense, the defensive counterpart of the Lay Siege skirmish mode, gives players the opportunity to practice defending a prebuilt stronghold in a quick-paced skirmish. Defensive players have an impressive array of tricks available to set up before the invading army reaches their walls: Set up spike traps or plant man-eating plants outside your gate to destroy your attackers, position cavalry outside of your walls to trample enemy units, and construct ranged siege weapons and dozens of other wall-mounted siege defenses.

Be prepared to fight off ruthless attacks from the moment you spot the enemy on the horizon. Repair your damaged walls and buildings after every wave, and keep peasants nearby, ready to put out potentially-devastating fires caused by flaming enemy arrows. The first wave is easy, the second... not so much. By the third, your king begs for mercy as the enemy breaks into the inner keep.

Dawn of Fantasy is proud to offer some of the most elaborate and bloodiest siege combat seen in the RTS genre to date - do you have what it takes? Stay tuned for more video diaries as Dawn of Fantasy nears completion!

Last edited by Danny Vink : 04-23-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 AM

jasont21 has fair reputation

are the extended heights on the scroll view, goig to be available to us soon, so that we can see more of the map and more of our own castles??
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

They won't be implemented because we want to keep the zoom levels closer and a higher pitch - the optimal level for unit management. But users should be able to edit pretty much all values through the game files with very minimal scripting knowledge - something I do several times a week for screenshots.

I'm not 100% sure if this will work for MMORTS mode, but if it is enabled, we'll walk you through it. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 PM

ki adi mundi has a default reputation

can you build castles however you want or is it build plots like that of bfme1 i dont mind cos the castles in this game look epic
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Orc Sect:
Marauder

deamonkinge has a default reputation

like stronghold but 1000 times better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
can you build castles however you want or is it build plots like that of bfme1 i dont mind cos the castles in this game look epic
It varies by race. The Elven building style is pretty similar to BFME - they have a set number of Great Tree plots circling their settlement. The Men have plots too, but players can purchase additional plots further away from their Town Hall and can build Mills outside of their town (like the construction of lumber camps in BFME). And then the orcs have construction opened-up to where they can build buildings anywhere on their homeland map as long as they do not interfere with the pre-determined wall layout.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Firvain has a default reputation

So does that mean you can build walls where ever you want? or is that predetermined?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firvain View Post
So does that mean you can build walls where ever you want? or is that predetermined?
Its predetermined. After launch a lot more design layouts will be added for the player to choose from.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima