Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Buildings - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Good marketting strategy
I hope melee troops and archers will NOT be able to destroy stone structures. And archers have little impact on wooden structures, unless they have fire arrows in which case same damage but chances of catching fire which would be devastating and can spread. That would be good...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
The Humans have plots and pre-built stronghold wall designed.
Prebuilt stronghold wall design means, your walls when you have enough resources and build them, will already have there set design for that map. All you have to do is push a button and watch them build around your empire. no worring how your going to connect the last wall with the first wall, no wasting time placing hundreds of wall segments.

There are many plots inside your base, you can buy more if you like for some resources, there is a limit to them because you need room for your houses which give you a higher population limit, aswell your army needs room inside your stronghold does it not?; BUT, there are still many plots outside of your stronghold for mills and farms etc, as well forward bases and camps etc.

"Get more Archers on the walls prepare for battle!"
"We cant Sir. We have a third barn blocking the ladders and the stairwells....
We need more cows!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
Good marketting strategy
I hope melee troops and archers will NOT be able to destroy stone structures. And archers have little impact on wooden structures, unless they have fire arrows in which case same damage but chances of catching fire which would be devastating and can spread. That would be good...
We do have several armor types and damages, so it is very much so possible to include if it is not already? And to my knowledge melee and archer units do literly nothing to walls.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.

Last edited by Joseph Visscher : 04-16-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation

Wait so...you have "pre-built in" designs for all the walls on the map...and at the click of the button they all built around your base? .....

That's incredibly limiting...

Does that mean we cant build walls or structures anywhere else apart from in the "pre-building areas"? That means you can be easily surrounded incredibly quickly. What if you wanted to cut off and create a choke point, you cant send a builder out to go and build a wall there? (after say building friendly structure there)?

You say there are quite a few plots but, does this also apply for forward bases?

It gives me the impression that: "You HAVE to built here or no base for you" "If you dont do this...tough".

Is it some sort of balancing strategy? Because it just sounds soooo restrictive that your forced to built in conjunction with the map...i dont care if i would of had to build individual segments, hell at least it provides a lot more freedom on how you layout your defenses.

I want to be able to freely create "layers" of defenses, sever choke points, establish filtering systems, traps and use the entire area to force the sloth upon my enemy without restriction...having to abide by a built-in structure doesn't appeal to me at all.

Can you not built walls in segments as separate structures? Is it all just a button you click? "Build 135 pre-defined wall segments...will cost 800000 stone" Etc...how much will it cost to build and entire perimeter defense lol?

Unless...

Its a tactical option? You either allow us to built in predefined structures OR allow us to make our own "layouts" or "blueprints" or allow us to built and design as freely as we want.

Other thing that worries me is that this is for Men and Elves, but orcs can built freely wherever they want...but are restricted to just wooden walls?

Something really doesn't sound right...im now dreading on how restrictive play mite be . I think you should either revise what your planning...or convince me that there is still some "freedom" in settings up walls and defense.

Last edited by †TYRANICK†™ : 04-16-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

To follow up, our Dragons are significantly different from the other 3 factions in-game. And there will be quite a bit of testing and different design approaches envolved before we can finalize the Dragon race. Until such time - and well, some marketing thoughts as well, we can`t reveal much about them.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Elven Sect:
Mounted Grand Master

Neotyguy40 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
To follow up, our Dragons are significantly different from the other 3 factions in-game. And there will be quite a bit of testing and different design approaches envolved before we can finalize the Dragon race. Until such time - and well, some marketing thoughts as well, we can`t reveal much about them.
Will they at least have a special air to ground combat system?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I'd say yes. I'd like to know more about the wall system too.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
Wait so...you have "pre-built in" designs for all the walls on the map...and at the click of the button they all built around your base? .....

That's incredibly limiting...

Does that mean we cant build walls or structures anywhere else apart from in the "pre-building areas"? That means you can be easily surrounded incredibly quickly. What if you wanted to cut off and create a choke point, you cant send a builder out to go and build a wall there? (after say building friendly structure there)?

You say there are quite a few plots but, does this also apply for forward bases?

It gives me the impression that: "You HAVE to built here or no base for you" "If you dont do this...tough".

Is it some sort of balancing strategy? Because it just sounds soooo restrictive that your forced to built in conjunction with the map...i dont care if i would of had to build individual segments, hell at least it provides a lot more freedom on how you layout your defenses.

I want to be able to freely create "layers" of defenses, sever choke points, establish filtering systems, traps and use the entire area to force the sloth upon my enemy without restriction...having to abide by a built-in structure doesn't appeal to me at all.

Can you not built walls in segments as separate structures? Is it all just a button you click? "Build 135 pre-defined wall segments...will cost 800000 stone" Etc...how much will it cost to build and entire perimeter defense lol?

Unless...

Its a tactical option? You either allow us to built in predefined structures OR allow us to make our own "layouts" or "blueprints" or allow us to built and design as freely as we want.

Other thing that worries me is that this is for Men and Elves, but orcs can built freely wherever they want...but are restricted to just wooden walls?

Something really doesn't sound right...im now dreading on how restrictive play mite be . I think you should either revise what your planning...or convince me that there is still some "freedom" in settings up walls and defense.
Quite a while ago i wanted the same thing TYRANICK, blueprint options atleast, but yes this would make a massive unknown gap in balancing.

But please remember that these are walkible walls not some unwalkible piece of **** from AOE 3 or BFME2. These walls have tons of upgrades all chosen by you to upgrade for a cost. Also there are layers of walls that you must build each costing quite a bit, and even more for upgrades, therefore there are many tactical options for you to choose, but yes, simply having walls stretching across the entire map is, out of the question. Your enemy will have the ability to surround you, and siege you, and pillage your farms unto ruin and you cower into the safety of your walls, coward humans!
Maybe you should join the Orcs.
Oh, and also, the Orcs’ walls are not built anywhere either they are prebuilt in this latest build aswell. But the buildings you can build anywhere to your liking.

We’ve thought about making the walls ‘ free style ‘ but it would simply mess up the balance to much and it wouldn’t look very good. It would lead, for more people, to not even have walls. Like it is in bfme2, just a rush game, no need for walls, ‘the game ends in 5 minutes anyways, why build walls’. Otherwise, having random walls spamed all over the place looks really stupid. and not a very good image I believe.

Goblin Archer: “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahah Stupid humans!”

Having a properly constructed stronghold with several layers of walls with trebuchets boiling oil, archer towers here and there in a nice realistic fasion holding off a massive orc army. Now that’s a image I can see in DOF!

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Ovocean has a default reputation

Sad, but I have to agree that it sounds really limitating if we don't have any choice at where the defenses (the walls) are placed. We'll probably hear players defend themselves after a defeat: "But your walls where better placed than mine, not fair!"
I hope at least that we'll be able to choose where to put the gates, the number and approximate placement of towers, etc. etc.

Sure, having everything predefined ensures that it will look perfectly good and realistic, and that the lazy players won't be annoyed by having to place every single crate by hand, but how far can it take over liberty?

Eventually, I think I will accept the fact and appreciate the realistic and epic look of the game, but I'm not sure that it will be a factor of prime appeal for most people. Or you'll really have to demonstrate very well how varied can be the stragic placements of elements on the walls and everywhere on the map.

PS: I have to admit, though, that i've been appealed at my first approach to the game by the fact that I wouldn't have to place all my buildings by hand - I'm of the lazy people in some domains -, but maybe it's going too far? I imagined that we would be able to stretch the walls a bit, don't know.
And definitely, what about the mobile camps ? Can we place them anywhere we want ? The palisades ?

Last edited by Ovocean : 04-16-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM

Feweh has fair reputation

I agree with what they did to a extent.

For one.

In BFME1 i loved the fact that humans and that had a wall, it was the coolest feature.

In BFME2 they destroyed the fun of walls by not making the walking on able.. and i pretty much decided screw walls they're useless.

In DoF there's walls they're pre-set but it doesnt seem as bad.

I would LOVE TO LOVE TO LOVE, be able to place my gate location, and the towers like the above person said.

But i agree to the whole ******s placing walls everywhere thing, does ruin it and the realism involved.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Tbeaz161 has a default reputation

So the walls are like strongholds were you could walk on them and everything? Also if all your walls have a predetermined place then how many layers can you have and if you could only have like 2 layers or somethin will the walls be strong? I don't want the enemy to be able to get like 10 trebuchts and kill all my guys on the walls go in with the siege ladders and take my place in like 5 seconds. Will there be something for your people to stop them from geting your walls? Like if they get a seige tower on my wall are my people able to fight onto it and over take it or knock it over or somethin?