Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
I'm always on the offensive, I hate turtling.
As they say...a good offense is the best defense...but then again a good defense can be the best offense.

From what it looks like...immediate rushing would be a bad idea in this game as i dont reckon you would be able to do much, it does seem very much city based. BUT very cleverly allows for any and all strategies to take focus.

I dont always turtle, but for RTS's where bases are essential then I do...games likes dawn of war or company of heroes or starcraft and warcraft etc, all are much more unit focused and turtling is the worst thing you could possibly do on those games.

But for games like this...i would like to sit back and admire my creations, explore the map, and create my army. I'm like a hybrid, turtle...but get out there asap to claim all the good stuff. I even have secret strategies such as while im hunting for resources and taking my small squads for wander around for other enemy squads...i end up setting up special places around the map where...wait, im not gonna say lol in case im against 1 of you lot 1 day haha :P.

Overall its just my play style mostly, im good with it, and its proven its effectiveness. Don't call me strictly a turtle though, as i said, I'm often experimenting with bizarre strategies
Old 04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Robert Schultz has a default reputation

A good defense is never the best offense. You can't conquer a enemy if you sit back and let hims take over.
However a good offense is always the best defense. If the enemy is defending, they are not attacking.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightgalrs View Post
A good defense is never the best offense. You can't conquer a enemy if you sit back and let hims take over.
However a good offense is always the best defense. If the enemy is defending, they are not attacking.

I agree with you but that's...not what I meant sorry I'll say it again.

True...a good defensive is never the "best" offense, i shouldnt of said that lol, but theres no reason a good defensive cant be "offensive"

Imagine a situation where you have a 1000 unit army, now imagine an incredibly well defended city with 9 or 10 layers of walls, endless guard towers, long range defensive siege engines, and anti infantry. Your gonna have problems.

Your not always defending if you turtle, (unless your a noob and have no idea how to play the strategy). An offensive defense is more of generic term for the direction of play, you rely on your base to fend off major threats whilst your own army can do the important flank work, and rid you of your forward base camp...so then ya go, a defensive offense. Your being suppressed by defenses, whilst getting overwhelmed by this huge random army that's just appeared.

But yes your right in saying if you just sit back and wait, not a good idea. You gotta get out there. Which most turtles i see fail at...they take far to long and mostly do nothing and just wait for you...layer attack works best then *shifts eyes* sshh

But alas I'd need to experiment heavily with what works best in which situation. I would think the game would "aim" you into using a variety of tactics.

Hence why I reckon different games modes should do the trick, like in my other post.

The biggest weakest which I always see with rushers is that, they always attack in huge clumps and concetrate on one particular area which is stupid and never works, because then you just choke all the access points and lead them into traps.

Oh btw it would be so cool to be able to hide our archers on the walls, then click a button to have them pop-out and lay waste to your enemies below . hehe always wanted to see that.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

There may be towers the archers can garrison. The key to rushing for me is keeping your base somewhat defended while you are rushing and attacking with small groups all over the place to somewhat overwhelm the enemy.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Quote:
There may be towers the archers can garrison. The key to rushing for me is keeping your base somewhat defended while you are rushing and attacking with small groups all over the place to somewhat overwhelm the enemy.
Cool, but i mean pop up from walls...ive seen them mounted on walls so theres hope

Aye good strategy, but you'd have to be careful of your attacking points because sooner or later you may become choked, if they decided to heavily defend that certain area (if they can defend it in time lol).
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM

Bastiaan has a default reputation

i also would like to see that you can ambush enemy's like at a forest with a passage you can flank them and stuff
Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 AM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

Quote:
"DO NOT KNOW DEATH WHEN YOU SEE IT OLD MAN, THIS IS MY HOUR *SHRIEKS"
Old 04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
Cool, but i mean pop up from walls...ive seen them mounted on walls so theres hope

Aye good strategy, but you'd have to be careful of your attacking points because sooner or later you may become choked, if they decided to heavily defend that certain area (if they can defend it in time lol).
The elves, if you look at their castle screens, have things that the elves can hide behind for a shield type of thing. So I'd say maybe to that suggestion.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM

SPARROW94 is disliked by many

oh with wals some thign just popped in my head. if you played BFME2 or C&C3 they would eith build walls that lead into ya'll base and build some annoying defence but in C&c they would build power plants going to your base and then build a sonic emitor >_>
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I would like to see wall mantlets... improvised wooden defences with slits so archers could fire through.

Arrow slits in walls for the men archers would be nearly invulnerable from the imprevious walls!

I wonder if elves get mantlents, in which case they can be turned into light canoes for transport. The Native Americans did that.