Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

More questions and suggestions :D - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

†TYRANICK†™ has a default reputation

Sweet at all those points ! Keeps getting better and better ^^! Its all news to me

@ number 4, I'll elaborate further if i was unclear:

Time period...as in, would in be a mythical era set around medieval times or around the time of the crusades? From what i can tell it seems to be around that era.

BTW 1 more question from me or more like a suggestion:

- Some kind of meta map game mode? Sort of like...battle for middle earths war of the ring mode or universe at war global domination kinda style (Risk layout in other words)?

I think that would be a brilliant idea, especially since this game has such a huge emphasis on epicness haha. Controlling territories, taking over all the world of mythador etc, great fun for a single player skirmish mode or online.

Here's a breakdown on how it works for those unfamiliar with the "meta map" concept

When you start, you usually begin with 1 main territory which will be your stronghold, or your base and maybe 1 other territory, now depending on which concept you follow, you either do the following of two.

On your turn, you go to attack or inspect or capture a neutral territory, a begin setting expanding your kingdom or empire w/e slowly across the meta-map, upon these you may have a few slots to place structures upon when you gain requisition, which is gained from controlling areas to spend on upgrades, structures, defenses or additional units on your journey to conquer all the land, maybe 1 or 2 slots.

Some territories mite give you specific bonuses which aid you in some way, disadvantage the enemy or provide some other global effect. You can only move to attack or capture 1 territory per turn, and eventually you will run into a territory or an enemy that cant simply be capped, it must be fought for. so you either have a choice to fight it out in real time, which would take you to a normal skirmish map where you build up and battle it out for the territory or you "auto resolve" which determines your military strength vs there's and calculates the winner from that, of course its better to fight it out in real time on the map it self.

So if you win, you gain that territory and all its associated bonus's, and the enemy is pushed back a little. Some fights may have bits of narrative thrown in, or quests and or objectives that you must do to fully claim the territory, which is the case when you come to attack an enemy stronghold, heavily fortified citadel of ominous defense, you've come so far, gathered and developed a mighty army...are you truly ready to claim their land as your own? Purely reliant on your total requisition, bonus's and upgrades you've gained and researched from all other territories, you must attempt to set up a small base and attack immediately, no time for a thriving city, this is what you have been working towards! Stronghold fights are usually the most epic because usually they contain special scripted events that liven up the battles substantially, and are the combination of all your work of battling across the meta-map to there stronghold and i where you truly get to experience the madness of 1000's of units desperately trying to siege a mighty city..far and wide.. for the good of their race!

And if you win you claim there land, basic base and "racial bonus" as well as other rewards. Then its off to destroy the other player...or will he destroy you?

If you fail to assault and destroy a stronghold, you become severely crippled for the rest of your turn, with only your hero left and maybe 1 squad, you will have to rely on how well you set up your defenses on the territories you captured and fought for earlier if you are then attacked...but of course you will be severely disadvantaged and have to re-train units from scratch on the battlefield...a cruel but realistic and fair approach I'd say.

Bases you make and build on territories you fight for will carry over (as they would in real life)

Now the other way of play is the same as above except every territory apart from your stronghold is controlled by another player (or AI), and you (and/or your team mates, since the meta-map style can be done in teams very nicely) must battle it out in real time to defeat them, or auto-resolve if your defending etc.

Ok so...all that is only basically how it works, i havent mentioned all about the upgrades and territory re-enforcement and diverting and splitting up squads etc lol because of the added detail required heh.

But still, its really fun, and can truly enhance the life of an RTS.

But then again that's just an idea...if it ain't implemented im sure we could "mod" it into the game as a new mode

Wow ive typed loads again lol, apologies

Last edited by †TYRANICK†™ : 04-10-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

ugh I hate essays....
Basically a living-world map
Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

As in...? All the time im guessing, well i take it thats a no to what I asked then , no matter. Wait till moddin' ^^

I like essays they allow to clearly and specifically lay out my questions
Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I'd say maybe to that. It might tie in with the campaign but I'd rather have an online world map kind of game because I think it would be alot better than just playing yourself.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 04-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
I'd say maybe to that. It might tie in with the campaign but I'd rather have an online world map kind of game because I think it would be a lot better than just playing yourself.
Agreed. Real people are always more fun

Has anyone tried out the Dreamlords beta? Incredibly weird game...its sort of like a MMORPRTSPWBTG (Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Real Time Strategy Partially Web Based Text Game) lol xD.

Basically it has a meta map style of progression play...mixed with heavy RPG elements, mixed with a web based unit and building and resource managing elements, with RTS battling all wrapped together into a complete, ever growing MMO world.

IMO its horribly complicated, to slow, bad graphics (even for a beta) and comprises of this hugely daunting tech/research tree which just sucks the fun right out...

Although it was extremely unique and was trying to merge a good mix of styles...it ultimately fails IMHO because of how complex and...well...boring the battles are, it has pvp as well but blah ¬¬ it kinda sucked.

Also been trying games such as, sins of a solar empire, eve online and other Space based mmo's/game...

Sins reminds me too much of SupCom. Tiny scale, slow moving, boring gameplay, uninteresting combat at utterly bizarre AI. Oh and again theres far to much detail, same with eve...horribly complicated ><. There both/ all pretty good, and probably great games for there genre but to me are just a little daunting.

Anyway whats my point to all this? WoW is the simplest mmo ever...been there done it...I want DOF game now! Heh.

But...Paraworld is great though , bit neglected, and rather cheesy and generic in places, but its fun...armored dinosaurs for crying out loud! Who wouldn't love that lol.

Oh yeah few more question:

1) Will the MMO side of DOF require any additional fee's to play on? I hope not as that would suck ><

2) Will the MMO side of DOF, be constantly updating and provide new content every now and then? Or is it not that sort of basis of MMO..?

3) Just went back and read something about, your able to customise your "own" hero in the MMO side of DOF? That's sounds awesome, can we have more detail on that? How diverse...are we talking about a range from, size of eye lashes to the type of armor and weapons he/she wears ? Hehe. (can we mix and match our heroes and/or be able to custom paint them?)

4) Which leads me onto the question of...will we be able to custom paint our armies or buildings like in Dawn of War? That would be fun ^^.

That's all for now and again, many thanks in advance

Last edited by †TYRANICK†™ : 04-11-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM

Vimes has fair reputation

So you haven't tried a space based MMORTS yet? Whilst waiting here you could try Boundless Planet, Time of Defiance, and Beyond Protocol. All have demos or are in beta. Mankind is available too but no demo - complicated story.

I am interested in fee's also - the current vogue is free to play with pay to win addons. I say pay to win , as MMORTS is hugely complicated balance wise and the constant new additions to released games upsets and invalidates a lot of the balance testing done in beta. So released updates that involve purchased items tend to swing wildly balance wise.

I would expect constant updates though as this is expected of MMO games.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
So you haven't tried a space based MMORTS yet? Whilst waiting here you could try Boundless Planet, Time of Defiance, and Beyond Protocol. All have demos or are in beta. Mankind is available too but no demo - complicated story.
Where did i say i havent tried any? Lol i said i tried eve and sins oh and the 1st jump gate a while back

I will have a look at each of those, thanks

Well strictly speaking its not a full blown MMO so...i cant why you would need to pay extra . Then again if it isn't too much, i dont particularly mind...still reckon the experience should be free though
Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

fine, I hate your essays because they're too long comparitively speaking for this forum
If this living-world-map/meta map were to be played online, it raises the contreversial issue of taking too long to play and finish. I know that EA tried for battle for middle earth 2 to have War of the Ring mode available online, but it took too long to complete and people got bored and left. Afterall, what is it but just playing skirmishs in an order of your choice?... huh?
So they tried to rectify this by allowing you to save it, but of course it was hard to arrange a time when the opponents could carry on. Most often, it was abandoned. I wouldn't want anything like this to happen on DoF, or a feeling of contempt will arise concerning the living-world-map, as did in bfme2. The War of the Ring mode could take days to complete...
Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
fine, I hate your essays because they're too long comparitively speaking for this forum
If this living-world-map/meta map were to be played online, it raises the contreversial issue of taking too long to play and finish. I know that EA tried for battle for middle earth 2 to have War of the Ring mode available online, but it took too long to complete and people got bored and left. Afterall, what is it but just playing skirmishs in an order of your choice?... huh?
So they tried to rectify this by allowing you to save it, but of course it was hard to arrange a time when the opponents could carry on. Most often, it was abandoned. I wouldn't want anything like this to happen on DoF, or a feeling of contempt will arise concerning the living-world-map, as did in bfme2. The War of the Ring mode could take days to complete...
You make a good point. Meta maps are only good when there done right. Hence was i would prefer...if there was such a mod, for it to be just against AI. It would need a lot of work and have to be unique, but meh i dont mind if there is or isn't such a mode, as long as, as you said, its not full blown MMO based

Back to the question of fee's...anyone got an answer for us?

My essays are t3h sh1tz ^^

Last edited by †TYRANICK†™ : 04-12-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

No fees, and I'd say yes to updating the MMORTS. I'm not sure the hero customization will be that in depth but it'll still be good. Finally, yes, you may change your coat of arms color but not much tweakage is involved. You can only change maybe the main color.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang