Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

question about PvP - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Orc Sect:
Goblin Raider

VenSen has a default reputation

hopefully you can drag your town and stuff from battle to battle if not hmm its not so bad either
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Orc Sect:
Goblin

bugonstick has a default reputation

I think people are getting confused between the MMO part and the skirmishes. They are two seperate parts of the game
Skirmish: Random match agaisnt a specified number of people everyone starts with relativly nothing and you are forced to use strategy and co-operation in order to win.

MMO: You pick a spot in the world and are given a basic starting town, you then build up your town defending it from your neighbors and AI whilst also going on the offensive and trying to expand your empire. This mode is dynamic I believe so things can happen while your away.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Nojo has a default reputation

cant wait either, pvp should be fun
Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Griegor Mcvennor has fair reputation

It's unfortunate that the video seemed purposely ambiguous. It seems to say that you have to expand your territory by fighting other players. Yet I have seen other people on the forums absolutely convinced that you only lose resources and not territory in warefare.

So what is the real answer? Is there a home city that can't be lost and you expand into losable territory? How does the whole system work?

Perhaps we could get a directly no BS response or FAQ update with how the PVP works? That will make or break this game for a lot of people I would assume.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griegor Mcvennor View Post
It's unfortunate that the video seemed purposely ambiguous. It seems to say that you have to expand your territory by fighting other players. Yet I have seen other people on the forums absolutely convinced that you only lose resources and not territory in warefare.

So what is the real answer? Is there a home city that can't be lost and you expand into losable territory? How does the whole system work?

Perhaps we could get a directly no BS response or FAQ update with how the PVP works? That will make or break this game for a lot of people I would assume.
Well I've been on the forums for well over year and Reverie is one of the few companies that doesn't give BS answers. The answer you are looking for has been answered and can be found in the forums. If you read a little farther back you might actually find the answer that has been answered more times then it should have been for people that don't like reading and searching anything that has been posted beyond a few hours. But I will answer it again.

You will get a Homecity that you "CANNOT" loose to other players. If you loose to another player that is besieging your Homecity (PVP), you will "NOT" loose it. You will loose some resources and your HC will revert 2 days back I believe(I don't remember off hand ).There is also Field combat that you can start with another player (more PVP). You start this on the world map with another player.

Now this is all I can remember off hand. So I hope that helps and is a direct answer to your question.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Well that certainly helps and is appreciated but it's not quite what I was looking for. What about the non home city territory? Other castles that you may own or control other than your home city? Can I actually build a recognizable kingdom that other people will see or are we all simply staring at the same map where the kingdom "battlefields" are nothing more than a glorified match matching service?

Henry by the tone of your post it seems you feel I have insulted Reverie in some fashion. I wasn't implying that Reverie is a company that gives BS answers on anything. Asking for a no BS response is simply a saying. As in, what is the concrete rock hard truth of the particular subject that is being inquired about. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Furthermore, some of us don't have time to search through pages and pages of threads for several hours to find the specific answer I am looking for. Asking me to do so is especially rediculous since the answer should be in the FAQ on the main page as PVP interaction is one of the main content portions in this MMORTS experience. Not having it on the FAQ means either the FAQ is out of date, or that specific feature hasn't been totally fleshed out. If you want to save yourself the aggrevation put it in the FAQ.

Last edited by Griegor Mcvennor : 03-21-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dolas has a default reputation

Quote:
Well that certainly helps and is appreciated but it's not quite what I was looking for. What about the non home city territory? Other castles that you may own or control other than your home city? Can I actually build a recognizable kingdom that other people will see or are we all simply staring at the same map where the kingdom "battlefields" are nothing more than a glorified match matching service?

Henry by the tone of your post it seems you feel I have insulted Reverie in some fashion. I wasn't implying that Reverie is a company that gives BS answers on anything. Asking for a no BS response is simply a saying. As in, what is the concrete rock hard truth of the particular subject that is being inquired about. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Furthermore, some of us don't have time to search through pages and pages of threads for several hours to find the specific answer I am looking for. Asking me to do so is especially rediculous since the answer should be in the FAQ on the main page as PVP interaction is one of the main content portions in this MMORTS experience. Not having it on the FAQ means either the FAQ is out of date, or that specific feature hasn't been totally fleshed out. If you want to save yourself the aggrevation put it in the FAQ.
I know what you are asking, and Im curious about this as well. We all know that we cannot take over other players main cities, but I thought Ive read in some threads that we can build outposts outside of our main cities. If this is the case, can those be attacked and defeated or can they be taken over? Technically DoF is still under the NDA from closed beta, so I dont know how much information they want to provide that they haven't already (which might explain why they cant tell us this and they only hint at it).
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Quote:

No, players aren't going to be able to take over other territories. You are only allowed the HC you start with. You are able to assault NPC towns, but are not allow to own them. There is a thread in the public suggestion sections that is discussing about wanting a hardcore server that would allow territories to be taken over. Personally I don't know if I would play on that server a lot, but I do believe that having a server like that would be beneficial for the game popularity. I've noticed that there is quite a few people (probably a lot not posting) that would love to have this.

As for my tone, I'm sorry. Its not just about Reverie, I've really bothered by how gamers lash out towards developers today just because they don't like this or that. Yes, I believe that developers should listen more to fans then most do, but that does not give fans the reason or right to lash out toward them. If you don't like how the game is turning out, express your feelings in a reasonable way (not like "This game sucks and your a crappy developer. You don't know what the hell you are doing") and don't buy their game.

As you can see by my title I'm not a Dev myself. But I have been noticing people on the forums having more of a tone/attitude then they should have toward this company for no reason. One of the major reason I stayed on the forums for so long was because of how friendly the devs are. Becoming an intern and meeting more of them, these are a bunch of friendly people working on a game that they feel the community will love. These feelings have been bothering for awhile and some of it came out toward you and again I am sorry.

Yes, I agree that the FAQs thread should be update with all new info and be more detailed on how the game works. Hopefully this will happen soon.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

No hard feelings. Everyone has a notion of what they personally think the game experience is going to be for them. Part of the reason they have a PR guy is to help the community with expectation management.

What is that you ask? Expectation management is used by Counselors, Chaplains, and of course PR folks. You help your clients learn as much about the situation or game as possible and manage their expectations of whatever the subject matter is. The reason you do this is to fight preconcieved notions and ideas that build up over time. Then when the big moment arrives there isn't resentment over the disparity between what players believed the game to be and what the product actually is.

By and large I am sure Reverie has done a fantastic job up until the point of managing the expectations of the customer base. Unfortunately there are some critical pieces of information that are not widely known and havn't been updated on the FAQ.

You have covered some of them. But the one serious concern I have and I don't understand is the difference between what you have said and what the video trailer said. The video trailer implied that you can create a kingdom in multiplayer. If all you can do is attack NPC cities and attack player Strongholds and you can't expand territory despite the video stating that you have to attack players to expand your empire then it's misinformation.

What is happening is that video is building a false expectation of the player base and their ability to basically have their own roleplaying kingdom/empire.

Maybe we are not quite effectively communicating with one another but I hope I have gotten my concerns across in this wall of text. I think DOF has the potential to be a fantastic game and I would hate to see the MMORTS portion die an early death do to low participation by the fan base because it doesn't turn out to be quite what people were expecting.

I want DOF to succeed. I'd like it to be a full kingdom simulation instead of merely a graphical match making system. Hopefully my dreams will come true with some DLC or another.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Anonimo has a default reputation

hi everybody......