Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Microtransaction Ideas - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

NobleIre has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesso View Post
Why would a person make a thread about paying for the game after the original purchase? Do you actually want to pay for something every month?

Im also wondering why transactions are needed after the initial purchase, im pretty sure wow is making massive profits off its monthly fee, if i was ever to play wow i would expect new content every month, cos im paying every month. Warcraft 3 and starcraft 2 dont have monthly fees, why dont they and why does wow? and more importantly why does dawn of fantasy need these payments?
Because I realize the very real possibility of them charging microtrans and I would rather us recommend things we wouldn't mind paying for, rather than them coming up with them without our suggestions. That's why. Why would you bother posting something that is off-topic and completely against what I asked you not to post in the beginning of the topic?

Guibaz: exclusive access to new areas could be cool.. though I would prefer it if these were smaller areas that didn't really have any benefit over the others. Perhaps giving you instant access to a single area where all those who pay for access to it can fight over stuff in a concentrated area. (So the benefit is having ready, intense action - rather than better resources or anything like that.)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

WoOpin has a default reputation

I think giving perks that are not overpowered and give a huge advantage is best. Soon as you go buy to win lots of people get put off.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

Oh I had another idea:

Pay for some sort of graphical flare or other show-off trait for your army. For instance, Perhaps your troops gain some sort of elemental war-cry that flashes lightning at the beginning of the battle. Or perhaps an effect that makes the map/ground look cracked after your army marches over it (and dissapears soon after), etc. These would do nothing but look cool, mind you.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dracus has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleIre View Post
Oh I had another idea:

Pay for some sort of graphical flare or other show-off trait for your army. For instance, Perhaps your troops gain some sort of elemental war-cry that flashes lightning at the beginning of the battle. Or perhaps an effect that makes the map/ground look cracked after your army marches over it (and dissapears soon after), etc. These would do nothing but look cool, mind you.
This is the most viable way of micro transactions without messing with balancing issues. I suggested this a few posts back. If you want to have a mall that does not turn away certain gamers you should simply put in cosmetic changes. Some people might find them worthless but for most people looking awesome or differentiating themselves from the populace is worth a couple of bucks.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

darklegends8 has a default reputation

The Rich being on top of the poor is how it is for a lot of games, and since they're still on the market, clearly it works.

Now for those of you who say that it will put off players who aren't willing to spend money, I ask you, why should they, the company, care? If you're not paying, what incentive do they have to serve you? They're a business, their objective is to make money.

The only reason they would have to serve the non paying player base is to maintain a good image to the public, and if they're getting enough revenue from the paying players, what difference does it make if they're despised?

If they want to rake in the money, it's not going to be with flashy banners or aesthetics, it's going to be paid advantages. Sure, maybe I'll pay for one or two aesthetics if that's what's available, but if a company really wanted my money, they'd go down the pay for advantage route.

Oh and for those of you who say one customer won't make a difference, I very much doubt I'm the only type of gamer who supports this and my nice stack of game cards totaling over 1000$ plus more spent on credit cards begs to differ.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Elven Sect:
Sentry

Kaos90 has a default reputation

As long as any micro transactions they might or will make do not affect player skill I think most people will be fine with it.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Elven Sect:
Ranger

Dolas has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklegends8 View Post
The Rich being on top of the poor is how it is for a lot of games, and since they're still on the market, clearly it works.

Now for those of you who say that it will put off players who aren't willing to spend money, I ask you, why should they, the company, care? If you're not paying, what incentive do they have to serve you? They're a business, their objective is to make money.

The only reason they would have to serve the non paying player base is to maintain a good image to the public, and if they're getting enough revenue from the paying players, what difference does it make if they're despised?

If they want to rake in the money, it's not going to be with flashy banners or aesthetics, it's going to be paid advantages. Sure, maybe I'll pay for one or two aesthetics if that's what's available, but if a company really wanted my money, they'd go down the pay for advantage route.

Oh and for those of you who say one customer won't make a difference, I very much doubt I'm the only type of gamer who supports this and my nice stack of game cards totaling over 1000$ plus more spent on credit cards begs to differ.
Everyone who plays this game is going to have to pay something, because unlike a lot of ftp mmos, we have to buy the box at a retail store. This is taken from the faq:

Q: How much will Dawn of Fantasy cost?
A: No specifics have been released, but the price will be comparable to that of other current PC RTS titles.

So we are already paying around $40-$50 for this already, and I know quite a few people who would love to buy this game, but if the micro-transactions suck then most of them wont even bother. Reverie will lose money from players who would buy the game because the micro-transactions give an advantage. Whats the point in buying a game when it is clearly unfair to play the main online mode without dishing out more money? Contrary to what you believe, everyone who buys this game is a paying customer because we did pay for the box. So the company should care how they do this microtransaction idea because if they do it poorly they WILL lose money. But honestly, if DoF sells really well, they don't even need to do micro transactions to make a profit, Guild Wars proves that.

Last edited by Dolas : 02-23-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

Please stop trying to turn this into a debate about microtransactions, not only is it off-topic I started the topic by asking you NOT to.. AND, I believe there is already a topic for that.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 AM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

darklegends8 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolas View Post
Everyone who plays this game is going to have to pay something, because unlike a lot of ftp mmos, we have to buy the box at a retail store. This is taken from the faq:

Q: How much will Dawn of Fantasy cost?
A: No specifics have been released, but the price will be comparable to that of other current PC RTS titles.

So we are already paying around $40-$50 for this already, and I know quite a few people who would love to buy this game, but if the micro-transactions suck then most of them wont even bother. Reverie will lose money from players who would buy the game because the micro-transactions give an advantage. Whats the point in buying a game when it is clearly unfair to play the main online mode without dishing out more money? Contrary to what you believe, everyone who buys this game is a paying customer because we did pay for the box. So the company should care how they do this microtransaction idea because if they do it poorly they WILL lose money. But honestly, if DoF sells really well, they don't even need to do micro transactions to make a profit, Guild Wars proves that.
Hm For some reason I missed that. In that case it doesn't really matter to me because I'm against pretty much any business model besides F2P + Item Mall + Paid Advantages. Pay to play sucks more, and retail sucks the most. I concede the point, I very much doubt that Reverie will get a penny out of me. Unless the beta dazzles me if I happen to get in, I very much doubt I'll pay for it.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM

nraheim6554mac has a default reputation
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleIre View Post
Oh I had another idea:

That's actually a really cool idea, and another idea for the microtransactions is the ability to decorate your city the way you want it to be, like painting it, putting banners on it, engraving your army's/city's name on the walls and so on.