Claiming Territory - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

NobleIre has good reputation
Default Claiming Territory

I have an idea to potentially give players more to work towards in the game.

It might be interesting to have a system wherein the strongest players in an area (large zones on the map) have the option to 'claim' that zone as theirs. Basically, say the top 3-5 players in a zone are presented with this option. (Top players could be judged by a combination of resources, army size, and successful battles).

Now, claiming ownership over a region would primarily only have the 'vanity' benefit. Basically, you're claiming to just be that awesome - but it is also inviting attack. Only one player can claim ownership at a time. So, it basically paints a big target on that player. Now, to make it worthwhile, it might also confer some sort of passive benefit. Perhaps that player receives an improve economic standing (reduced cost, etc.) with merchants or something along those lines.

Also, in order to encourage people to contest his/her position - successful attacks on the 'self-proclaimed' ruler might return greater than average rewards.

Also, in order to further enhance the 'vanity' aspect of it - there could be a persist board which lists the top 10 'self-proclaimed rulers': basically, the 10 who have held a region for the single longest period of time.

Now, in order to prevent abuse: you could claim ownership at any time when it is not being claimed by someone else - however, time when you are 'logged off' does not count. Also, in order to claim the right you have to actually have your stronghold within that zone. Lastly, after abandoning a claim - you cannot reclaim it for 1 week.

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

master0p has a default reputation

Sounds interesting.
I can recall there was a topic like this. But instead of a territory it was a regional castle.
I like the idea. But i think those accomplishment should be "guild" accomplishment.

I would go for the claiming territory by capturing the regional castle( perhaps that is what you mean? ) but it should be a guild accomplishment only so you really need 4 guys and you can reinforce the regional castle with any troops from people in the guild. Once in the regional castle it can't be pulled back only the guild leader or officer can give the order to send the troops back.

What you think about this?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

I could go for this being a 'guild' feature - however, it would require that an entire guild be within the location together. At that point (assuming it's a sizeable guild) who is going to oppose them?

Also, i'd be game for a capturable castle type arrangement. However, this would require you to keep a sizeable army in that castle for defense.. and prevent you from using your forces for other activities. You'd have to defend your stronghold and that castle.. between that, you probably wouldn't be able to attack or really do anything else. However, it would give people something solid to attack, etc.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleIre View Post
I could go for this being a 'guild' feature - however, it would require that an entire guild be within the location together. At that point (assuming it's a sizeable guild) who is going to oppose them?

Also, i'd be game for a capturable castle type arrangement. However, this would require you to keep a sizeable army in that castle for defense.. and prevent you from using your forces for other activities. You'd have to defend your stronghold and that castle.. between that, you probably wouldn't be able to attack or really do anything else. However, it would give people something solid to attack, etc.
There are always other guilds that are up for a challenge!

Btw i read that if you do some tech research you can have up to around 7 armies walking.
To defend that stronghold you can split the defense between the members in your guild.
For example you have 10 members and each member give 2 battalions.
Thats quite alot 20 battalions. Btw for the people its just an example i am not sure if 20 battalions fits in a castle.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM

Merku has a default reputation

This isn't a bad idea; however, as discussed in some other recent posts - the liklihood for such a thing to be around is low due to the technical limitations of how players will interact on the game world map. Also, should it be true (which it seems like it is) that players cannot be attacked while they are logged off, a regional owner is likely to simply log off to consolidate the regions that he conquers. You know, assuming someone is to abuse it.

Not a bad idea though, regardless. :P
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

Looking at the issue of potential technical problems. Keeping this on a 'player vs player' instead of 'guild vs guild' level would also help to alleviate some of those.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Human Sect:
Crossbowman

I would really vote for that regional cities could be taken over but you just need 3-5 people + you need to be in a guild.

And merku the logout-can't-be-attack shouldn't be applied on the regional castle.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Mokhir has a default reputation

Love this idea, so i can show off my strength and get benefits.
But i have a suggestion. How about the regional castle owner also provide benefits to all of those in the region, almost like a head of county. And in return if the region own is liked, the regionals will provide the castle with troops at the garrison to defend it.
Also as a possible counter to the offline this, what if it can be taken over at all times but has a larger percentage of garrison possible?

p.s this sounds as if it came from stronghold kingdoms, but the idea was given to me from a friend.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

My problem with that is.. it kinda diminishes the pvp aspect of it. The original intent was to give a powerful player a symbol of status - while simultaneously giving other players in the region a target to focus on.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Orc Sect:
Slayer

Neutral884nz has a default reputation

I think having a few neutral towns that players can fight over and gain control of would be a good idea. perhaps giving a small boost to resource gathering depending on the town.