Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: PC or Xbox 360?
PC 59 93.65%
Xbox 360 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Super Nova has a default reputation

I don't have a 360 (That works) & my PS3 died 2 months ago, So all I have is my gaming PC.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Mokhir has a default reputation

Really? You expect a complicated mmorts to take place on a xbox console? This isnt your halo wars mans, its DOF!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Orc Sect:
Slayer

om3n has fair reputation

Theres other games RTS style on 360 that are apparently popular. One of my buddies is really into C&C. Big issue with an mmo on the xbox network is they want to run the servers on their network. So anyone who wanted to play it on 360 would likely be segregated from their friends that play on pc.

That, coupled with extra costs in porting code, Microsoft fees and requirements. A small company like reverie could see any profits for hard work disappear or even run in deficit to keep servers together. If they allowed it to be split and MS have their version of the servers it would have a negative impact on player counts.

Staying exclusively PC will allow Reverie to keep costs down, troubleshooting & development easier, allow for better graphics/UI , faster updates, more content expansions sooner. It might be a good idea to port to xbox after a successful year or two.

IMO Reverie being a smaller company doesn't have access to some of the assets bigger companies might, and overspending on that kind of a level can be enough to kill a game. I don't think any of us want that lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

NobleIre has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3n View Post
Theres other games RTS style on 360 that are apparently popular. One of my buddies is really into C&C. Big issue with an mmo on the xbox network is they want to run the servers on their network. So anyone who wanted to play it on 360 would likely be segregated from their friends that play on pc.

That, coupled with extra costs in porting code, Microsoft fees and requirements. A small company like reverie could see any profits for hard work disappear or even run in deficit to keep servers together. If they allowed it to be split and MS have their version of the servers it would have a negative impact on player counts.

Staying exclusively PC will allow Reverie to keep costs down, troubleshooting & development easier, allow for better graphics/UI , faster updates, more content expansions sooner. It might be a good idea to port to xbox after a successful year or two.

IMO Reverie being a smaller company doesn't have access to some of the assets bigger companies might, and overspending on that kind of a level can be enough to kill a game. I don't think any of us want that lol.
Here here. Besides, the system reqs for DoF are really low.. and playing RTS games on computers is infinitely better than on a console via a controller. My computer laughs maniacally at the DoF system reqs.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Wizaerd has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokhir View Post
Really? You expect a complicated mmorts to take place on a xbox console? This isnt your halo wars mans, its DOF!
ANd how exactly is this any more complicated than other RTS's? The gameplay may be a bit different, but it isn't any more complicated. In fact, by not placing buildings, it's actually a bit simpler...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleIre View Post
Here here. Besides, the system reqs for DoF are really low.. and playing RTS games on computers is infinitely better than on a console via a controller. My computer laughs maniacally at the DoF system reqs.
Infinitely better is purely a subjective opinion, if anyone actually made their RTS available on a console correctly (not like halo wars... ugh), it could be infinitely better on a console. All things are possible where technology is concerned...

Altho truth be told, I'd rather it were on PS3 as opposed to XBox... No that it matters since it wont be on either...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM

Ezekiel has a default reputation

Even if it was on another consolse, it would always have to be played on the PC, to get the real feel for it.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Orc Sect:
Berserker

NobleIre has good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizaerd View Post
Infinitely better is purely a subjective opinion, if anyone actually made their RTS available on a console correctly (not like halo wars... ugh), it could be infinitely better on a console. All things are possible where technology is concerned...

Altho truth be told, I'd rather it were on PS3 as opposed to XBox... No that it matters since it wont be on either...
Actually, I don't think it is entirely opinion-based. A PC format allows for keyboard commands, hotkeys, accurate mouse clicking and drag-selection - all of which make selection and commanding troops (in real time) faster and more convenient. There is no means, aside from requiring people to buy more peripherals for their console (and even then, it's still debatable), that the limited input abilities of the console can match the ease, configurable convenience, and exactness of computer control methods.

Now, if someone were to go out and acquire additional peripherals then it becomes possible to reach levels closer to what a keyboard and mouse can do, but even then - further complications arise. There is a reason that the vast majority of RTS games are for PC, not console. I see no circumstance wherein a console version could even be as good (control wise), much less 'infinitely better' than a PC version.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Human Sect:
Halberdier

Mokhir has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizaerd View Post
ANd how exactly is this any more complicated than other RTS's? The gameplay may be a bit different, but it isn't any more complicated. In fact, by not placing buildings, it's actually a bit simpler...
Yes, but there is an mmo community and with an mmo community you need communication. Chat, private messages, and a forums. And voice chat is not an option, putting all the players of that instanced world into a voice chat will not work. So then how you form alliance? Guilds? Relations? Correct me where I am wrong please.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokhir View Post
Yes, but there is an mmo community and with an mmo community you need communication. Chat, private messages, and a forums. And voice chat is not an option, putting all the players of that instanced world into a voice chat will not work. So then how you form alliance? Guilds? Relations? Correct me where I am wrong please.
Seems to me the MMO DC Universe is doing well on a PS3... with guilds, alliances, and communications. So correct you where you're wrong? I wouldn't presume to state you're in fact wrong, but you are mistaken in that these MMO facilities are not available.