Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Purchasing Diffrential advantage? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM

DeliCious has a default reputation
Default Purchasing Diffrential advantage?

I recently read that you will offer influence points for sale. I think this is a complete sell out and became very dissapointed at the prospect of people being able to purchase an advantage. From Financial stand point it makes perfect sense you can parade about being a subscription free MMO while still hustling people of their money.

The journey is what matters not the destinationl. Moving towards something earning it as you go along with a sense of fullfiment beats having everyone around you cheating getting ahead.

Now a "moraly" superior way all tho less lucrative but at least you would keep your reputation with me

1. Subscription based if your game is good enough reap what you sowed.

People will pay a monthly fee i will if it holds up do, not go under like Hellgate london did because they refused to add a subscription i still miss it.

2. Dawn of fantasy release no subscription Rush 2 DLC out add one expansion and then add subscription for Dawn of fantasy 2, 3 years down the road.

The truth is having a subscription also adds a Certain Standard to the game. a MMO without subscription cant be good thats what people say.

Last edited by DeliCious : 01-20-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Elven Sect:
Enchanter

akyko has a default reputation

Influence points from what the FAQ I've been reading seems to be more like LoL's Riot Points and is just used buy extra stuff like expansion packs and can gained by playing the game meaning if you play enough you could get it for free instead of paying for it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Firstly, I don't know how you're assuming the microtransactions will kill the game's balance the instant you read they exist. What I'm saying is - don't judge a book by its' cover. The influence points, like Akyko said, will only help you in ways that won't tip the scales between you and other players. Like in many other games, its' designed for those who might not have as much time to play the game, and it'll work just fine.

How do we know this? Well if you haven't noticed, a lot of games have been going free to play, including some big titles like Lord of the Rings Online. It has been proven that F2P brings significantly more profit to the developers than a subscription model.
Of course LOTRO had to go through some significant changes which might not have favored some people, in the end they gained players and those who continued to pay a monthly fee received a lot of their previously acclaimed bonuses.
Likewise in DoF - everyone plays equally, and the shop stuff just helps boost you a little bit if you've not had time to play or want to catch up to your friends etc. LOTRO is probably not the greatest example though as there is quite a gap between base free players and those who pay the full price; DoF is unlikely to have anything even close to that.

So, in short, it won't be as damaging as you assume - and it is definitely the best way to go as proven by recent trends in the gaming industry.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiTos456 View Post
Firstly, I don't know how you're assuming the microtransactions will kill the game's balance the instant you read they exist. What I'm saying is - don't judge a book by its' cover. The influence points, like Akyko said, will only help you in ways that won't tip the scales between you and other players. Like in many other games, its' designed for those who might not have as much time to play the game, and it'll work just fine.

How do we know this? Well if you haven't noticed, a lot of games have been going free to play, including some big titles like Lord of the Rings Online. It has been proven that F2P brings significantly more profit to the developers than a subscription model.
Of course LOTRO had to go through some significant changes which might not have favored some people, in the end they gained players and those who continued to pay a monthly fee received a lot of their previously acclaimed bonuses.
Likewise in DoF - everyone plays equally, and the shop stuff just helps boost you a little bit if you've not had time to play or want to catch up to your friends etc. LOTRO is probably not the greatest example though as there is quite a gap between base free players and those who pay the full price; DoF is unlikely to have anything even close to that.

So, in short, it won't be as damaging as you assume - and it is definitely the best way to go as proven by recent trends in the gaming industry.
Couldn't have really said it better myself.

But to add to it, it also includes more downloadable content such as special quests or even entire expansion packs or campaigns, maybe some co-op humans vs AI campaign that we will create after the game is released, keep a steady flow of new content that everone can purcahse with Wealth, not real money (so everyone can unlock the content but it takes a massive amount of time to gain that much wealth or just buy it with real money instantly).

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 AM

I played LOTRO pre F2P and after its not better after i couldent even subscripe anymore and now they wanted alot that money for buying quests which cost alot more then subscrbing.

We felt so cheated and was shown yet again how the Monetary system corrupts games to the core and lowers quality, having to constantly buy new quests to enjoy the game fully.

There is alot of people playing Farmville quantity of players dosent always make a good game now adays. And how can the game be balanced if you can buy a diffrential advantage weather it be buy small quests or influence points?

And lets not kid ourself buying stuff with wealth is a joke we have seen it before, League of legends LOTRO. Where you could play 100 hours to earn points for 5$
Here's a nice Quote "F2P brings significantly more profit to the developers than a subscription model"" From Lito. Lets Translate, saying that this game will cost more then a subscription based MMO if you wanna enjoy it fully. Recent Trends are BS move away from money sucking and fast.

Last edited by DeliCious : 01-21-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 AM

JurassicPork has a default reputation

Unfortunately the F2P model does appear to be a way of sucking players in and then charging them more than a subscription based mode. It does allow for some MMOs to gather momentum though. APB was great fun and I subscribed after the closed beta and was very disappointed that it didn't flourish in the way it could. LOTR appears to be the reverse of that. I wasn't interested until it went F2P and after seeing that you need to invest quite a lot of money to get the 'Full' package I lost interest.

Microtransactions are an excellent way of offering 'extras' to a player as long as you offer more than a bare bones gameplay for the standard game. Allowing players to accumalate Wealth to purchase DLC sounds like an excellent move.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM

@JurassicPork so true.

But how can they possibly have a balance for inbase wealth and puchased wealth? If the wealth needed to purchace DLC and extras is to low people will farm and sell it online thus destroying the system they implemented to profit

And if they put it to high so its not even reasonable to buy DLC and quiests with ure in game Wealth, then they will make a profit but sacrfice crucial gameplay striking a balance has never been done and i do doubt fully that DoF will succeed here and once you sacrfice gameplay for Profit your game will be doomed anyhow.

Its the you cant buy things with ingame wealth and have a system to purchace it at the same time. they dont mix to low will destroy the game to high will drag the quality down, so this is what they will do the will have wealth needed to purchase expansions and DLC so crazy high nobody will do it, but they can still brag about having the option open its a scam.

WARNING: Do not take your game in this direction Scrap it all toghether.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Orc Sect:
Impaler

Dalkor has a default reputation

If it is going to follow a F2P system and you want a P2P system, why not confine your self to paying 10-15$ a month for these influence point's. You are ahead of the game for those that don't want to spend a dime after the base cost.

It's also nice to hear that the base game will stay the base game, it's additional content that we will have to buy.

By the way what's the difference between this system and the DLC system on consoles?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

The way I see it is like this: Wealth or Influence is used to purchase things that may not effect your gameplay versus other players, but may enhance your personal taste for the game. Thus, things I could imagine fitting into this category would be stuff like personalized decor for you flags and uniforms, mini campaigns and missions that are awesome, but not in anyway necessary, etc.. not stuff like new special units, upgrade bonuses, free battalions, or ready to fight wizards.

Wealth/Influence is purchasable with real money, but if a player enjoys the game and plays a lot, he will gain enough W/I to get much of this content anyway.

I think it will work as long as the developers do not cross that line of ifluence being able to affect gameplay.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Everything is nesscery, and its naive to think that they will strike a balance here, and you dont think you will have other things to use your wealth for in an RTS ?

Subscription and the other system they advocate is mainly a diffrence in mindset one mindset is everything new we make you will have to pay for to acquire.

and the other is that

well we dont have to worry about the money because we have a subscription in affect so we can focus on adding new things and generely just improve the game.

Heroes of Newerth vs League of Legends.

Which one is superior gameplay wise? to me the answer is very obvious HoN is because they keep adding new things free of charge they improve their game free of charge and the only thing you can buy is cosmetics, if this ever changes tho it will be a Downward spiral. and i dont even approve on the cosmetics costing money.