Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

MMORTS can it realy be done? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 AM

DeliCious has a default reputation
Default MMORTS can it realy be done?Updated.

Recently i found out that they will have an Purchasing option ingame so you can purchase New Quests,DLC,Influence,etc(Good by Free updates that adds anything of value)

If you played League of Legends
Lord of the rings online
Or Battleforge

you will pretty much understand what im talking about. basicly Cashcows with shallow gameplay (Yes even LOTRO and im an old LOTRO player)
Now if you were willing to pay a subscription every month to play this say 10$ or more dont worry about it it will cost more now if you wanna fully enjoy the game and have a competetive city that is. Now Alex walz realy came with comforting words such as

"We're all passionate gamers, not corporate pigs trying to monopolize the genre" -Alex Walz

but when you sacrifice gameplay for profitability you do become "corporate pigs" unless its an act of survivial which i doubt.

Lets just throw some info out there Product + DLC;/Quests + Influence + Wealth + Expansion

Dawn of fantasy 34.99$ + DLC 5.99$-9.99$ + Quests 1-3$ + ? + ? +19.99$ (Not actuial prices)
This is not going to be cheap to play.

Who says im right thou ? maybe they will have epic success even thou they have all theese little scams going, but to me if they succeed they would have had greater success without it.

Last edited by DeliCious : 01-21-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Hello! I will address your questions on behalf of Reverie World.

Quote:
Q:Reverie studios ? who are they never,heard of them and what have they done?

A: Dont realy know only thing you find if you google them is a link to Dawn of Fantasy and they are nowhere to be found on gamespot, and IGN only mentions them vaguely.
Reverie World Studios is a game design company based out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Dawn of Fantasy is its first game, but its designers have experience working on AAA games including Empires: Dawn of the Modern World, Rise & Fall, and Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. Other notable DOF devs come from an accomplished background from teaching game design, award-winning modding and scenario design, internationally-recognized compositions, and playwriting on a professional level.

Dawn of Fantasy was to be published by Lighthouse Interactive, but they went bankrupt, leaving DOF as an indie game until 505 Games came along.

Keep in mind that DOF was just officially announced today, with 505's press release. From here on out, the marketing will kick into high gear. 505 is very excited about the game, and has a large staff dedicated to getting the word out.

Quote:
Q:MMORTS is a big genre to create and ambitios to even head on not to mention expensive how can a small company that nobody has ever heard of pull this of?

A: That is the question i have been asking myself because with no publicity to speak of and Dawn of fantasy basicly unknown to the world, i Fear bankrupcy because lets be honest? how could gameplay can you create with the limited funds you have Reverie? No doubt you are Lions among Sheep when it comes to programing but will it be enough?
As mentioned earlier, Reverie World was essentially an indie designer for most of its existence. Therefore, its designers are not primarily motivated by money but rather, to challenge themselves to turn their vision into reality. Most of the millions dumped into other games goes into visual features like CGI, but has no effect on the gameplay itself. We at Reverie switched this around and really emphasized gameplay while making stunning visuals that didn't exceed the technical capabilities - meaning they were designed with performance in mind.

With this said, DOF wasn't designed without funding. We have had very generous grants from Telefilm Canada as well as express funding from both Lighthouse and 505.

Quote:
Q:but now when they finaly have a publisher what can go wrong?

A: Dawn of fantasy will be crushed by the bigger companies Blizzard/Ea who will take the best parts of fantasy and make their own MMORTS just with a budget that is 100x bigger then the one Reverie had.
If Blizzard or another big-budget company made an MMORTS, we would be excited! We're all passionate gamers, not corporate pigs trying to monopolize the genre. There's room for more than one game in a genre, and I for one, would love to see to the rise of the MMORTS genre!

As to the effect on DOF, I'd say it would have very little negative impact, as the game wouldn't be released for several years, and would shine light on the genre, benefitting DOF. With DOF, we want to see how our innovative gameplay and post-release support stand up to the test of time. After release, we will hopefully generate more revenue, which can then be used on the less necessary features, such as CGI, and we'll be able to learn from our experience with DOF to make an even better game if we chose that route.

Quote:
Q: Will reverie Studios be known for creating the MMORTS franchise?

A: That is the question because as they fade away we will know,the users on this forum will know but we are but a small part of the world
That is a very controversial question as every studio with an MMORTS says that theirs is the first. So I'm not going to disrespect all of them by making any claims to creating the first MMORTS franchise, but I would say that ours is the most intricate and innovative MMORTS of any to date.

The idea for Dawn of Fantasy is ten years old. Obviously development hasn't been going on that long, but this should tell you how much planning and fine-tuning was involved. So DOF may very well have been the first large-scale MMORTS in writing, but there are a couple more MMORTS games in production at the present time.

Last edited by Alex Walz : 01-18-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Reverie Moderator - dofsource.com Ambassador

LiTos456 has a spectacular aura aboutLiTos456 has a spectacular aura about

Again with this misinformation. What are you, some genius game analyst?

Reverie has a very reputable publisher, 505 games. They won't be crushed by anyone because nobody really cares about the MMORTS market at the time, so Reverie will do just fine.

Seriously, I have no idea where you're coming with your ideas from. I don't know how well you understand the industry, but if you hadn't noticed, Indies have been more than successful lately.

PS: I love how being on GameStop and IGN apparently justifies studio quality to you.
Don't bump old threads, don't spam, be nice and enjoy your stay.

Last edited by LiTos456 : 01-18-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM

DeliCious has a default reputation

Thank you Alex Walsh for the inspiring read and i feel very satisfied with the answers that were given my goal were to provoke an response and evaluate it, I Stand corrected where i should and would like to thank for this Insight and elevation into the Reverie studios mindset.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Cheers! We're always open to questions, comments, and suggestions from the community.

Welcome to the forums, and hope to see you in the beta!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Human Sect:
Peasant

xenophone has a default reputation

Lol, I love how anyone who is at HG knows about Dof
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 AM

Toven has a default reputation

Crushed by EA and or Blizzard? Really? EA has ruined RTS games and Blizzard could only make a spam one type of unit RTS games.

Neither of those companies could pull off an awesome RTS or MMO let alone an MMORTS. Not even their combined power, they would either make the graphics too childish, attack animations too family friendly or or just flat out fail with their fanbase.

Now I just registered and saw that one trailer and from the looks of it that's a great MMORTS. I wouldn't go so far as to say awesome, would need to combine two specific rts games and know what you're doing to get into the awesome area but nevertheless it's great.

From just that trailer I can already tell they have the basics every RTS should have. Walls you can actually have troops stand on instead of these thin walls that only act as nothing more than an obstacle rather than a major threat if you're without ladders or seige equipment. Towers with seige equipment like trebuchets and gates. Many rts games leave these things out making for a boring and dull game. That's only saying from watching the trailer.

I saw that there was also real time building(?) of the towers, seeing the workers hammer away at the tower to construct it.

Untl I actually play it I can't really say anymore.

Toven out!

Oh one more thing. If other companies did try to make an MMORTS. Well as a fanbase it would only be fair to say DoF clones.

Last edited by Toven : 01-20-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Axal01 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toven View Post
Crushed by EA and or Blizzard? Really? EA has ruined RTS games and Blizzard could only make a spam one type of unit RTS games.

Neither of those companies could pull off an awesome RTS or MMO let alone an MMORTS. Not even their combined power, they would either make the graphics too childish, attack animations too family friendly or or just flat out fail with their fanbase.

Now I just registered and saw that one trailer and from the looks of it that's a great MMORTS. I wouldn't go so far as to say awesome, would need to combine two specific rts games and know what you're doing to get into the awesome area but nevertheless it's great.

From just that trailer I can already tell they have the basics every RTS should have. Walls you can actually have troops stand on instead of these thin walls that only act as nothing more than an obstacle rather than a major threat if you're without ladders or seige equipment. Towers with seige equipment like trebuchets and gates. Many rts games leave these things out making for a boring and dull game. That's only saying from watching the trailer.

I saw that there was also real time building(?) of the towers, seeing the workers hammer away at the tower to construct it.

Untl I actually play it I can't really say anymore.

Toven out!

Oh one more thing. If other companies did try to make an MMORTS. Well as a fanbase it would only be fair to say DoF clones.

There are other MMORTS games but if you google them and check them out, They SUCK.... Its as if a 9 yearold designed them..Take "SAGA" For example, right now its actually the leading mmorts right now, the graphics suck compared to DoF, the concept is terrible, the service is terrible and its actually Pay to win type of game...There are many MMORTS games, but as I see , DoF will be and yes I said "Will be" the first "TRUE" MMORTS game.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:46 AM

krichard has a default reputation

Well I am glad that there are those that are taking the mmo parts to other genres.I am new here as this is the first time I have heard about this game-thru Massively.com.This game looks nice from what I have seen so far and look forward to trying it and that is will be a success as the mmo genre needs new stuff.
I am also looking forward to Kingdom Under Fire 2 also(maybe a bit more because it has RTA mixed in with the RTS and MMO) but will not see KUF2 come west til the end of the year.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 AM

Toven has a default reputation

KuF2 is more of a hardcore skirmish warfare game than anything else.