Star Wars: The Old Republic - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > The Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough
Default Star Wars: The Old Republic

I was searching around the web for upcoming games, and found I've missed alot due to inactivity. The one I'm looking forward to the most (after DoF, though thankfully it also will release about a year after) is Star Wars: The Old Republic. Developed by BioWare (which really boosts my hopes for the game) it's an upcoming Star Wars MMORPG for the PC only. I don't think it'll end up a WoW clone because of it's extremely prolific developer, whom I haven't seen fail yet. Not trying to be disloyal to Reverie, but you have to admit, BioWare's good at developing RPGs.

I've seen some gameplay trailers, which look pretty good thus far and well animated, but we'll have to see. After all, troopers are apparently supposed to be able to take on sith warriors. Doesn't sound Star Wars like to me.

Anyways, I'd suggest you check it out and find some info on it. It could turn out well. It's not going to be as innovative as Guild Wars 2, perhaps, but it's focusing somewhat on story and has less of a chance to flop. Might as well see what you think

Other games are Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (another remake, and for the DS. Kind of a turn off for me) and Guild Wars 2. Pokemon Black and White are also looking decent so far, and I'm hopeful this "3D imagery" move by Nintendo (their new handheld) turns out well. We'll see, I guess.

Last edited by Swift sword : 06-02-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

Yeah, me too looked forward to SWTOR. Looks really nice(as expected of bioware).
And about that troopers able to take sith warriors, of coruse they can. Else all jedi and sith classes would be way to overpowered. besides troopers can take on force users easy, just nuke them while they'r still out of range to attack you
Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Yeah, just saying that in the movies, they typically died by the dozens

Still, these are 'lite guys after all. That's a good excuse, and we have to have class mixup. I only learned about it Sunday myself, but I'm hyped already.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Mikey has a default reputation

been fallowing this for a while now looks pretty good saw the first cg and was like wow that was awesome and Bioware has yet to let me down completely and being a star wars nerd helps as well
Old 06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Yet another reason to get me a better PC . Along with LEGO Universe, another one I'm looking forward to (call me a baby if you want).

I don't think they should have put in any other classes than Jedi and Sith. Let NPCs handle troopers. The vast majority of people are going to be Jedi, anyways . Why offer options that will hardly ever be chosen?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Huh, haven't heard of LEGO Universe. Will have to check that out. And I think the reason for the extra options in classes is because it's an MMO, after all. Only 2 options don't make an MMORPG.
Fire Emblem just got a very cool update. You can create your own unit-the first real innovation since the game was released in the U.S besides map travel, which didn't stick. That one new thing was all it took to get me anticipated :P
Super Mario Galaxy 2 did a lot better than I expected, reception wise. A 10 from both IGN and GameSpot, as well as plenty of other places. Very impressive, indeed. I might have to actually get that now, although I never got into the original.

Have plenty of time to look stuff up, since school ended today
Lego Universe looks good, I suppose, but I don't think I'd want to pay 10 dollars a month for it. It seems smaller scale, especially combat and graphics wise, but I haven't researched enough to pass judgement.

Last edited by Swift sword : 06-03-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Old Republic from everything I've seen is closer to WoW than pre-CU SWG. But I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it, I hope it's the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift sword View Post
Yeah, just saying that in the movies, they typically died by the dozens

Still, these are 'lite guys after all. That's a good excuse, and we have to have class mixup. I only learned about it Sunday myself, but I'm hyped already.
You're comparing basic clone troopers and stormtroopers to jedi/sith. For lack of available references appropriate to the time period - I never read many books - the non-jedi classes. Think Mandalorian, not regular trooper. Even the grunts had their own elite soldiers among them, don't need the force to be considered a hero in the star wars universe. And of course the jedi/sith especially in the Old Republic era - they weren't all nearly as powerful as Luke/Darth are, it's far more difficult to become a jedi/sith in the movie period the people selected are the best possible candidates. Note there's all of *Two* Sith in the movies, the Emperor and his apprentice Darth Vader. There's what, hundreds? historically for old republic, probably way more. And only three jedi, and two of them die lol. Four if you count Leia. I'm just pretending 1-3 don't exist for the purpose of the "movie" period, mind you. See no evil hear no evil speak no evil etc.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 06-03-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Reverie World Studios - QA Tester

Henry Martin is someone to look uptoHenry Martin is someone to look upto

Actually Darth malak and Darth revan where pretty powerful and I would compare them to the jedi at the time of the movies. But because the jedi during the old republic don't really have that much history its really hard to say how powerful they are. You'll probably disprove me as I'm not a star wars nerd, I'm a computer and video game nerd. I just like it.

"90% of what is considered "impossible" is, in fact, possible. The other 10% will become possible with the passage of time & technology." -Hideo Kojima

Last edited by Henry Martin : 06-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

This looks cool. I don't know if I'll get it, but I do enjoy monitoring it's progress.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
Old Republic from everything I've seen is closer to WoW than pre-CU SWG. But I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it, I hope it's the latter.

You're comparing basic clone troopers and stormtroopers to jedi/sith. For lack of available references appropriate to the time period - I never read many books - the non-jedi classes. Think Mandalorian, not regular trooper. Even the grunts had their own elite soldiers among them, don't need the force to be considered a hero in the star wars universe. And of course the jedi/sith especially in the Old Republic era - they weren't all nearly as powerful as Luke/Darth are, it's far more difficult to become a jedi/sith in the movie period the people selected are the best possible candidates. Note there's all of *Two* Sith in the movies, the Emperor and his apprentice Darth Vader. There's what, hundreds? historically for old republic, probably way more. And only three jedi, and two of them die lol. Four if you count Leia. I'm just pretending 1-3 don't exist for the purpose of the "movie" period, mind you. See no evil hear no evil speak no evil etc.
Ah, forgive my ignorance. I've only ever seen the movies, and enjoyed 1-2-3 better than the "first" movies that were made. Yes, I know I'm strange. But ah well.
In any case, you're saying that, say, the troopers should be related to figures like Commander Cody, I suppose? That makes sense, looking at it that way, as he seemed pretty beastly from what I saw.

Also, the original movies did indeed have very few Jedi, which was anti-climatic compared to KOTOR (which I just played for the first time today). I also don't really know what the average Jedi was, power wise, as it really only showed them getting back-shot in the prequels, and even they were more elite Jedi. I guess I really should do a little research. The only thing is, I eventually see us players capable of becoming much more powerful over the course of the game, and there's only so far a trooper can go without the force or something like that. It is worth noting that the equipment/abilities the trooper gets access to could completely derail that statement.

I apologize if I've again said something stupid. I really should read the books sometimes, I suppose. Anyways, correct any mistakes I've made if you wish.

In regards to your first statement, I can see where you're coming from. I haven't seen anything myself that says it's changing as much as guild wars 2 is (I'm basing that off of Guild Wars 2's dynamic events. We have yet to see if they'll live up to the hype) but I'm hopeful. I'll likely try it a few weeks after it comes out, just to see the reaction. There will likely be a lot of people playing it for those first couple of weeks, though .