Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Parapets - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success
Default Parapets

Don't know if this is the right word.

Anyway,

Will walls have parapets? You know, little walls with slits that archers can shoot from behind?

I know that asthetically they do, but will the parapets actually help defend the people on the wall from outside attack?

EG - 50% of incoming arrows automatically miss.

Otherwise, kind of lame to have non-functional parapets.

It could be something as easy as giving units on the wall more pierce armor or something.

Also, units on walls should have an attack bonus against those on the ground [height...].

I just though I should bring this up, as it was a big issue to me in BFME.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Orc Sect:
Ogre

Yami-Yagari has a default reputation

Well, let's put it this way. The only ones who can really benefit from those would be humans, since they have the right walls for it. I mean, orcs have wooden pallisades, so no parapets there, and since elves already have the best archers ingame with farthest reach, it kinda seems redundent to buff them even more. So most likely... No.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Neg, I assume you've read the FF's that deal with sieges and defense and such? Like archers get more range standing on walls as do counter trebs?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS51 View Post
Neg, I assume you've read the FF's that deal with sieges and defense and such? Like archers get more range standing on walls as do counter trebs?
I was thinking something like that, but not very significant. just enough to be able to out shoot similar [same kinds] of units.

As far as the orcs go, I was thinking palisades would be effective too.

I mean, during Western combat in the US [1800-1900 think Cowboys, US cavalry, Palisade forts with block houses at the corners, and Indians] the palisades would be able to provide a significant amount of protection from arrows [compared to nothing]. Also, the increased range [even inf slight] would help the orcs or goblins since their ranges are shorter.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
I was thinking something like that, but not very significant. just enough to be able to out shoot similar [same kinds] of units.

As far as the orcs go, I was thinking palisades would be effective too.

I mean, during Western combat in the US [1800-1900 think Cowboys, US cavalry, Palisade forts with block houses at the corners, and Indians] the palisades would be able to provide a significant amount of protection from arrows [compared to nothing]. Also, the increased range [even inf slight] would help the orcs or goblins since their ranges are shorter.
If your archers are on a wall I'm sure they'll have the range to hit superior archers, even if still statistically weaker we're not going to let one player just go all archers and sit outside of your range. Edit: I mean as stats change it might get overlooked by a few in-game units of range and we'll need to shuffle around the stats again, but as a general rule we don't want your opponent to simply sit outside your effective range and auto-win if he's patient. As for parapets, the walls have them, but they don't offer an increased protection statistically, however the Height not only provides increased range but it also means fewer of the enemies shots will land. Remember that realistic trajectory we like to talk about? Often times shots will hit the wall itself instead of your units, especially if you have a further height advantage combined with the wall (Cliff + Wall for example) it can be almost impossible for attackers to hit that high up.

Also, there will be certain additions to wall sections to improve it in various ways ranging from boiling oil to increased defenses against piercing attacks.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 05-26-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Warner View Post
If your archers are on a wall I'm sure they'll have the range to hit superior archers, even if still statistically weaker we're not going to let one player just go all archers and sit outside of your range. As for parapets, the walls have them, but they don't offer an increased protection statistically, however the Height not only provides increased range but it also means fewer of the enemies shots will land. Remember that realistic trajectory we like to talk about? Often times shots will hit the wall itself instead of your units, especially if you have a further height advantage combined with the wall (Cliff + Wall for example) it can be almost impossible for attackers to hit that high up.

Also, there will be certain additions to wall sections to improve it in various ways ranging from boiling oil to increased defenses against piercing attacks.
Thank you for clearing that up - also, I am sorry I forgot about the hoarding upgrades.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Sounds well thought out. Looking forward to playing.