Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XXI - The Elven Archers - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation
Default Fantasy Friday XXI - The Elven Archers

FANTASY FRIDAY XXI
The Elven Archers

Happy Friday everyone! Today we'll be looking into the Elves once again for the highly-anticipated Elven Archers. Superior to human and orc archers, the Elven Archers are fantastic at defending a stronghold or sniping down enemy hordes before they reach your troops. Archers are best in the Wind Formation with infantry nearby to protect them from approaching melee units.

Orc players - keep up that patience orcs are so well known for - we'll have a large orc showcase next week.

The Elven Ranger

Description:
Ranged unit which is great against infantry units, but terrible against heavy armored and cavalry units.Rangers can be trained from Dwellings for 84 Food and 90 Wood. For information on ranger battalions and upgrades, please refer to our Elven Buildings and Formations showcases.

Initial Statistics:
Health: 140
Stamina: 100
Damage: 65
Accuracy: 300
Defense: 30
Armor: 20
View/LOS: 720
Range: 650
Speed: 49
Charge: 70
Unique Abilities:
Fiery Arrows Increases damage, but accuracy and fire rate decrease. Costs fatigue.
Arrow Volley Greatly decreases unit reload time at the expense of fatigue.
Hide Makes unit invisible to enemies. Invisible unit has reduced movement. Ends if unit attacks.
The Elven Mounted Ranger

Description:
A mounted version of the Ranger with increased Health and Speed but decreased Damage and View.Mounted Rangers can be trained from Dwellings for 234 Food and 90 Wood.

Initial Statistics:
Health: 250
Stamina: 200
Damage: 60
Defense: 30
Armor: 20
View/LOS: 700
Range: 650
Speed: 72
Charge: 109
Unique Abilities:
Fiery Arrows Increases damage, but accuracy and fire rate decrease. Costs fatigue.
Arrow Volley Greatly decreases unit reload time at the expense of fatigue.
Hide Makes unit invisible to enemies. Invisible unit has reduced movement. Ends if unit attacks.
The Elven Female Warden

Description:
Ranged gatherer unit.Female Wardens are versatile worker units that, while not trained for war, can be summoned to defend your stronghold in times of need. Female Wardens can be trained at Settlements for 110 Food and 70 Wood.

Initial Statistics:
Health: 220
Stamina: 250
Damage: 75
Defense: 20
Armor: 35
View/LOS: 720
Range: 600
Speed: 49
Charge: 70
Unique Abilities:
Corpse Looting Workers will gather loot from nearby corpses.
War Stories

To see these units in action, we have to short war stories for your entertainment. Each of these were taken from Stronghold Defense maps against the AI.

In this first one, I went up against four waves of large-sized orc armies and four waves of medium-sized human armies attacking from two different directions in the elven stronghold of Uttal Atros. In the time I had to prepare, I trained archer battalions of every type and stationed them at my main gate. I distributed my remaining units to the other gates, but knew that the enemy would be focused on the main gate. When the enemy did arrive, I had a large archer defense ready to shoot them down. The first orcs who approached were killed upon first sight, but the orcs soon came with mighty Siege Towers that I couldn't shoot down in time. The orcs used these to scale my walls without ever touching my gate. Having made the mistake of training too many archers and too few melee units, the orcs quickly took over my first layer of wall. My archers were few compared to the orc horde, but for a while, I was able to shoot enough volleys of arrows into their masses to prevent them from advancing any further. They came with catapults and goblin archers and began chipping away at my remaining archers. They came with fire arrows and set fire to my city, forcing my men to retreat to higher ground. The fight lasted into the night with my severely-wounded men protected by my hoardings. However, the men who approached from one of my less-protected entrances had managed to break down my gate by this time and rushed into my mighty stronghold, lighting fire to everything in their path. Their crossbowmen ran across the bridge to assist the orcs, and the battle was lost as the orcs were free to pour into Uttal Atros and kill my king.

The next battle was against two waves of large-sized human armies attacking the elven stronghold of Gelmeerim. Having learned my lesson, I trained both archers and melee units and upgraded my walls with bolt throwers and hoardings during the preparation time. My residences provided me with a steady income of gold which I used to purchase upgrades for my archers. When the men of Teria arrived, they were shot down by my archers but brought in heavy siege and rams. My gate stood strong as I shot down the rams and any units who dared to make it pass the bridge. They had destroyed my bolt throwers and set the land behind my walls on fire, taking out a large chunk of my stronghold and causing chaos amongst my ground troops. They came with trebuchets, but soon the battle was a stalemate as no human troops dared to cross the bridge while my archers were prevalent. I selected my cavalry and melee units who had been doing nothing all battle and ushered them out through the back gate to come around and surprise the enemy infantry. But before my troops could make it through the rugged terrain, the enemy had retreated. Victory for the Nhoblio!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

otomotopia has fair reputation

Excellent screenshots! Looks like the elves have a huge benifit with their female wardens - they're a gatherer unit that is also used as one of the most powerful ranged foot archers. Must be awesome when a raid occurs when gathering.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Why there must be 2 archers that are quite similar to each other in one faction? The only thing that male version is better is little more range. Otherwise warden looks little better overall. But warden is worker and female after all =P ... why is stronger than ranger? On picture ranger looks better geared and warden looks more naked than geared but warden has more armor ?=P And whats the point of having range units if you can mass workers that can also fight and are even better than regular unit (excluding volley since dont know how good can it be)?
Well i expected there would be warden and than some elite archer, at least it would work for me better =).
And on first picture my eyes hurts when seeing those mounted troops on wall =P.
Cant say much for unicorn archer, but from Total war experiences they can be quite annoying for enemies. And from BFME2 experience they can be also quite useless =).
The last thing i also question..... fiery arrows ... since it is quite possible useless.

And when you said upgrade archers .... does that also apply to wardens since they are half workers?

So this are my concerns about this, tho its not what i expected =). And for conclusion... i dont want to play amazon faction =P.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!

Last edited by Kire : 04-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post

The last thing i also question..... fiery arrows ... since it is quite possible useless.
"They came with fire arrows and set fire to my city, forcing my men to retreat to higher ground."

Sounds pretty powerful to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Yeah, fiery arrows aren't useless. Forest fires are pretty common and do a lot of damage to a stronghold if your workers don't put it out in time.

Good points on the stats. We haven't done a whole lot of balance fine-tuning yet, but we probably will be swapping some of those stats. And yeah, walls probably aren't the best place for mounts. I just brought in everything I had to stop the orc horde.

Quote:
And when you said upgrade archers .... does that also apply to wardens since they are half workers?
Sometimes. Most upgrades increase a stat for all of your units. But there are some that are only targeted at specific types - like the distance upgrade only increases the range of Rangers.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Orc Sect:
Shaman

Question: Do the Elves have a 'regular' ranged unit, or is that the Ranger? If it is the ranger, I'd want the wardens to be a capable ranged unit, but not the best range that the Elves have.

And I cannot wait to see the mass game of chicken the mounted calvary and Heavy Calv will have....
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I notice that both Elven and Human archers have the same range and accuracy. Surely the accuracy would be different, at the least?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Walz View Post
. And yeah, walls probably aren't the best place for mounts. I just brought in everything I had to stop the orc horde.
HE said it! And I see it in the picture! Mounted units can go on walls!

Great Fanfry guys. I agree with limiting the warden, maybe no formation available? Otherwise, the only difference is that Wardens can also gather food. The Rangers have to be strong enough in fighting that they will be the main archer, and not the Warden. Still, the Ranger is less expensive, so that should not be too much of an issue.

But shouldn't the Ranger be more expensive than the Warden, not vice versa?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Great showcase! I'm glad to see that my beloved elves at least came out at the end with a victory. The units look really cool and the ability for a worker to substitute as an archer is cool, but as mentioned before, the stats seem to be a bit weird, but that can easily be changed during beta.

The battles look epic and that really looked like a massive horde of orcs even though the elves were beaten by them.

Just a great showcase and I'm really excited about this game, it just looks so awesome with all of its features and gameplay.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for fiery arrows ... did read it wrong and didnt notice its actually fire arrows =P. Now makes more sense also to me =P.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!