Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Fantasy Friday XVIII - Battalion Formations - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square > Media Fair
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

This setup of formations is great! It is much more in depth [and yet still clear] than I had thought it would be!

Elves - GO! GO! GO! GO!

Men - sounds cool. Typical layouts.

Orcs - Fits in very nicely

The Elvish formations threw me completly off. I was expecting something tottally different, yet what you guys came up with fit in perfectly with the game.

I think that the elves are not helpless, merely "without a formation" while switching during that 15 sec timeperiod.

Elves will now be my first player.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Very nice! I'm glad to see all the more detailed parts of the game. Those formations looks really interesting, and I can really see how diverse the races really are becoming. The formations also fit the races it seems, the elves, with their incredible patience due to their long lives, take forever to change but gain great bonuses, orcs take little time, but their formations don't last very long due to their chaotic nature, and humans take only a few moments as they are a disciplined fighting force. There really seems to be a whole lot more to this game the more I learn about it. I thought it would be more like a "raise shield" for infantry and that's about it, roughly one situational formation per unit, but this is just plain awesome!

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Joslin View Post
The 30 seconds was a typo, I fixed it. It is actually 15 at the moment.

And think of it as more of a transformation/transition than just being helpless. Something like the way templars formed archons in Starcraft, for example.

As to the upgrades - if you knew the looks of the units a bit better the differences would be immensely obvious. Once you play a little bit it is easy to see the difference between the orc upgrades.
Thanks for the response-I know you must have work to do. In any casy, I was under the impression that elves couldn't do anything back to their attackers. If this is the case-surely a battalion would be wiped out within that time period, with no heals or counter-attacking?

Also, you're right, they're very noticable upgrades indeed. Just much more so when you know what you're looking for, I suppose .
Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift sword View Post
Thanks for the response-I know you must have work to do. In any casy, I was under the impression that elves couldn't do anything back to their attackers. If this is the case-surely a battalion would be wiped out within that time period, with no heals or counter-attacking?
Elves are completely helpless while transitioning, yes. Elven combat styles are not to be used as on-the-spot battle decisions, but instead before the battle as part of your plan.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 PM

The_Biz has a default reputation

formations and special abilities being bundled together... a bit nonstandard, but i guess it can streamline the UI
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM

Justin has a default reputation

So are human and orc transitions instantaneous or do they take a lot shorter than the elves like a second or 2 still? In other words is it ok to switch while your guys are hand to hand fighting the enemy for instance.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

Ohh yeah, humans use the basic formations of every single battle However we need horde mode for humans too, that way they can sacrifice their units without any benefits at all. (just make it a formation so that new players who don't know any better just throws away their armies)
Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Justin has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
(just make it a formation so that new players who don't know any better just throws away their armies)
If they read this they will know what it means and despise you
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

Awesome! I like seeing a game with unique formations that are easy to use but still diverse like AoE2's formations.

Nice work guys.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

Good to see you havent used a selection for all races and put thought into doing race specific ones, this will add to the gaming experience and also make stragity a must. Expecialy for elves.