Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Unit tumbling - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 AM

HolyPollo has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to add "light infantry" to my list of prerequisites for a devastating cavalry charge.
Yea I could see it being possible with archers and light calvary, but even then, getting knocked over by a horse sucks, but it doesn't kill you like an arrow to the face or a stab to the torso. At most charges should disrupt your ranks and allow for better melee infiltration, not annihilate your forces like someone just lit up an equestrian air strike. Calvary is best for hit and run tactics against archers and quick support to a failing line.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

actually lighter infantry should be quite devastated by a cavalry tough, but the heavier might not take a single casualty. Against a cavalry charge archers should have no chance as to make people actually bother protecting the archers, i mean if they did not entirely decimate my archer platoons i would not really bother using any infantry to defend them, however i would keep a platoon or two if they would be devastated by cavalry. Of course once they have plunged into a platoon they should loose their speed and as cavalry got quite a bad attack normally they should be killed by any infantry platoon if they cant get out of it. Its normal that if a spearman and a horseman without speed then the horseman would die, however at high speed it really depends on the rider. Also getting run over by a cavalry platoon should not just disrupt lines, that should make the whole group so damaged that making them continue would be a waist. Also heavier riders should give a possibility to fight equal to infantry and have heavier charges but lower speeds... And the ones that could easily kill them would be lighties

Sry i forgot thisDo you think getting trampled by hundred horses is less devastating then an arrow rain, just think about it.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Quote:
but it doesn't kill you like an arrow to the face or a stab to the torso
You're kidding, right? Let's see you try getting run over by a horse and see how many times out of ten you die. No offense, but the horseshoe is coming down with greater force than the arrow, and it's still a solid metal object.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

Actually an arrow to the face is possible to block, so is a stab to the torso. But a horse can not be blocked, you can possibly survive with all your bones crushed underneath it. Or perhaps you can run away, or dodge it. Anyways it is damned hard to avoid a horse when you are at the front lines, and 99/100 times the ones in the front is really killed by a horse charge. However a arrow rain is much easier since you can actually just hide behind your shield. And a melee combat you can just stab the enemy before he stab you. If you try to block the horse you die. If you stab the horse it will fall over you and you die. If you try to run away the shields behind you will push you back and you die. If you actually survive a horse charge then you can be damned since then comes the slaughter of the scattered forces. Cavalry is not to be taken lightly, a cavalry charge back in those times should be just as frightening as a tank rush on you position should be these days.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
Actually an arrow to the face is possible to block, so is a stab to the torso. But a horse can not be blocked, you can possibly survive with all your bones crushed underneath it. Or perhaps you can run away, or dodge it. Anyways it is damned hard to avoid a horse when you are at the front lines, and 99/100 times the ones in the front is really killed by a horse charge. However a arrow rain is much easier since you can actually just hide behind your shield. And a melee combat you can just stab the enemy before he stab you. If you try to block the horse you die. If you stab the horse it will fall over you and you die. If you try to run away the shields behind you will push you back and you die. If you actually survive a horse charge then you can be damned since then comes the slaughter of the scattered forces. Cavalry is not to be taken lightly, a cavalry charge back in those times should be just as frightening as a tank rush on you position should be these days.
At Agincourt, the reason the longbows were able to penetrate the visors at close range.

The idea behind plate armor was to eliminate chances of being killed with a sword, pike, or pointed weapon.

Cavalry charges were devastating if [IF] they hit their target. If they missed they got slaughtered.

EG- Rohan charges in the battle of Pelennor Fields
EG - Crusaders get slaughtered during [one of the crusades] because the enemy force was able to spread itself out - no massive army to aim the charge at.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Zeluk has a default reputation

This thread has many great points in it, I’ve always been quite partial to cavalry myself. I agree that in BFME, cavalry were a tad overpowered. I had a small well-managed group of cavalry which I used as my scalpel on the battlefield. In some cases they were all I really needed. 1-3 units I would leave to defend a chokepoint.

As for a rag-doll physic, I have always appreciated that graphical feature. Added a sense of realism to whatever respective game it was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
You're kidding, right? Let's see you try getting run over by a horse and see how many times out of ten you die. No offense, but the horseshoe is coming down with greater force than the arrow, and it's still a solid metal object.
Not to mention that the horses have riders. Riders with weapons, that are actively trying to kill you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
At Agincourt, the reason the longbows were able to penetrate the visors at close range.

The idea behind plate armor was to eliminate chances of being killed with a sword, pike, or pointed weapon.

Cavalry charges were devastating if [IF] they hit their target. If they missed they got slaughtered.

EG- Rohan charges in the battle of Pelennor Fields
EG - Crusaders get slaughtered during [one of the crusades] because the enemy force was able to spread itself out - no massive army to aim the charge at.
QFT
Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Quote:
Not to mention that the horses have riders. Riders with weapons, that are actively trying to kill you...
Oh yeah ...
Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

also you can look at it this way, what if the knight for instance got like a ton of armor on. Then not only the person underneath would be crushed but his internal organs would come rolling out just as you crush a egg. I feel really bad for the person who dies
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

Zeluk has a default reputation

Heh, that's kinda messed up dude.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

He is right though. Armor was strong, but not strong enough to withstand the weight of a horse, rider, and any other armor. I imagine that is what would happen.