Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

A Compilation of Ideas - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

blackfang has fair reputation

So would i. I am sure i will restart till i get a good position
Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negthareas View Post
I just read through - very good ideas! I think the Boarderlands idea can kind of be crossed with the guild ideas - some interesting ones also popped up in the guild proposal thread.

Dragon race - I have serious doubts as to the variation of units in order to make the race playable. Dragons, Big ones, little ones. Drakes... You need a lot more than that. Also, how would cities work? There are so many things that would need to be solved in order for them to be a race that it seems, to me, impractical to pursue it.

Minotaurs - similar to Dragons in the non-development. But, more practal and easier to develop than dragons. I like the druidic idea. Maybe make their race based on minotaurs as workers, basic infantry, etc., but have their major units be very magical - wizards, sea monsters, "dinosaurs" -kindof- etc. Even maybe incorporate elements from the Dragan civilization if it does not work out. Thus you could have a lot of minotaur units [fast, strong, big damage, but expensive] but only a few big ones.

Dragons not having enough unit types? Heh. This one is not familiar with D&D methinks.

Without counting the stages of dragon growth there are several dozen types of dragons with various powers, there's no reason we couldn't do that. For different roles you could have different types of dragons or dragonkin. Their 'cheap' units would be dragonkin of varying elements. Honestly, most of these would just require a unique skin and maybe a slightly different scale + unique abilities. If anything the dragons would be the EASIEST and most unique race as they'd have potentially hundreds of different units. And same with the actual dragons too not just dragonkin, again without counting growth you have one for each type of dragon, and instead of a normal leveling system we could have the growth be their own leveling system, for every battle they participate in, or based on number of kills they then get older and as dragons get older they get larger and stronger. Trust me - if we get the funding and time dragons will not be difficult to implement.

Minotaurs are a little harder if anything, but we could easily do something with them. One idea would be a caste system where they're bred into it developed into each type of warfare, there would be those trained solely in magic, archery, mounted combat, 2-3 types of foot soldiers with one spear, one defensive and one offensive, or instead of offensive/defensive a regular grunt and then simply an elite version. Or even more interesting, say they have selective mutation and have it work much the same as the caste, but instead of training for it, they're literally born with it. The last one might be a little too weird - but you get the idea. With a bit of imagination you can make just about anything work.

It sounds like you wanted the Minotaurs to be more of an amalgamation of races than minotaurs which is also another possibility, a sort of collective.

@Otomotopia:

Have you played the various Stronghold games online? One of two things happens depending on which stronghold you play. Either walls are completely worthless, or they're brokenly overpowered. There is simply no way to balance letting everyone design their own walls. We hope to have plenty of different ones to let you choose from, and even that will lead to some builds being stronger than others. It just has to be this way for balance unless you want walls to go the way of AoE2 where sure you can build a nice looking city but it isn't worth a tenth of the money you sunk into it. And with siege warfare being one of the biggest and best things about the game, reducing walls to little more than a hurdle low enough you can step over wouldn't be good.

The various customizable wall defenses are unique enough to make cities feel like your own as well, imo. With so many options and three distinct terrain's per race to choose from.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 02-12-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the in-depth replies Josh and everyone else, I really appreciate your interest. I just added my thoughts about magic seeing as it's sort of a mystery subject right now.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I guess I was a little, uh, presumptuous about the the Dragon Race unit wise. But, how would cities work? Dragons have never been, forgive the pun, a civilized civilization. They don't really have technologies or structures.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
I guess I was a little, uh, presumptuous about the the Dragon Race unit wise. But, how would cities work? Dragons have never been, forgive the pun, a civilized civilization. They don't really have technologies or structures.
Dragons themselves wouldn't be numerous I'd think, now none of this is actual game design keep in mind, just my personal thoughts on it - Dragonkin would create the bulk of the dragon race, and they would have a city. Thinking instead of regular production buildings, you'd have caves that would be upgraded to create various dragons/dragonkin, and the dragonkin would build walls and more traditional defenses around these, perhaps have the Dragon cities built into the sides of mountains. Or you could have the dragonkin create a more traditional city and have very tall buildings towards the center, spires designed to house dragons at their peaks. Though I really like the idea of all the dragon cities being built into the sides of mountains. Edit: Take a look at the 13th fantasy friday, instead of the gold mining operation/scaffolding etc, imagine a couple caves built into that cliff face where dragons would be spawned.

Technology ranges from improved equipment, to more effective training regiments. And actually, depending on the universe - dragons did wear armor. Their weaponry while natural could still be improved via research. And of course the dragonkin would use equipment. Something along the lines of increased training designed to make their breath attacks more powerful, or simply a tech that changes the dragon's diet to something more expensive that makes the breath attack stronger. Who knows - but it's definitely doable. I wrote this post in 5 minutes, I could draw up a design document for the entire race including stronghold designs, research and units in a week probably, 2-3 weeks at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift sword View Post
Thanks for the in-depth replies Josh and everyone else, I really appreciate your interest. I just added my thoughts about magic seeing as it's sort of a mystery subject right now.
Hey, I enjoy discussing the game and potential ideas as much as anyone, if anything more considering I might actually get to work on implementing these ideas - but I have to be careful with what I reveal so this limits what I can talk about you see. I don't want to give away potential fantasy friday stuff now do I And I don't want to give people the wrong idea about what we're considering, or we can/can't do. Everything here is just my own thoughts.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 02-12-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

DarkMaster has fair reputation

Of course, I have to support Dwarves as a future race. They're just so cool . I picture them as master engineers, with various wickedly crafted contraptions (maybe a semi-automatic ballista?) and very strongly built cities. It would be really awesome if they had underground cities, but this might be a bit hard to pull off and still have balance. Maybe they could lack counter-siege stuff? Dwarves FTW all the same
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

Okay, I guess a dragon civilization is more feasible than I thought possible, I will just have to stretch my imagination a bit. It would be an adjustment to play as the Dragon race though. But I guess that is one great thing about this game - the civilizations will each be significantly differnet from eachother that players will have to use different styles of gameplay for differnet civilizations.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Okay, I guess a dragon civilization is more feasible than I thought possible, I will just have to stretch my imagination a bit. It would be an adjustment to play as the Dragon race though. But I guess that is one great thing about this game - the civilizations will each be significantly differnet from eachother that players will have to use different styles of gameplay for differnet civilizations.
Dragonkin are humanoid btw if that wasn't clear. The race would mostly be the dragonkin, and dragons would be like the ogres of orcs, rare and singular. Though probably more of them than orcs have ogres, it's hard to say and would likely change a lot over the course of development.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 02-12-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead QA, Moderator
Archmage

GPS51 is someone to look uptoGPS51 is someone to look upto

Sounds highly entertaining as well as graphicly challenging. Would the dragen mercs currently in the game make it in as stronger units of the same?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

Not a big fan of dragonkin myself (Anything the close to human shape is just an ugly human to me).

I'd prefer dragons to keep their lizard shapes, I might post some examples of what I mean by that later, but for now I must go...do homework.