Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Boarders. - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Public Suggestions and Proposals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Human Sect:
Cavalier

welshie has fair reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
Uhhhhhhhh you only get 1 city, you -can- have more (I think 4?) but on different...accounts.

Though you guys are forgetting it would be very costly and not a genius move for a competitive player.
yeh i just suggested it as when an expansion pack came people would be rich there for got the money to spend, and would just add to the competitveness i mean it would be all good if you got the chance to expand your borders after doing lots of things.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Why would you take a border castle if you can attack player main castle and plunder it ?=).
i would if my army wasnt strong enough to take the heart of the players lands,i would just harass him at his border and take his smaller outposts
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Elite Member

Supreme has good reputation

To **** him off and make him attack you?

But anyway that wont be possible in this game so far, full frontal or nuthin at all!

Edit: Seriously, did you ban the word pi ss?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

It could be done if it were only in a specific area. Such as a heavily contested island that was found to the west of the mainland of Mythador.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
To **** him off and make him attack you?

But anyway that wont be possible in this game so far, full frontal or nuthin at all!

Edit: Seriously, did you ban the word pi ss?
well what if i had some allies sending me some troops to help harass him and lure his forces out and then we all anihalate him?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

I didn't think you could team up on a player, right? Otherwise guilds would dominate.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

ash12181987 has fair reputation

First of all, to be devil's advocate to some of the responses:
In response to the mention of guilds dominating: Yeah, but... wont it happen reguardless? I mean... even if you can't necessarily "band together" you can ignore someone's space. If there are 3 players in a match, one is going to be unnecessarily ganged up on.

In response to a mechanic needed for Skirmishes: It will happen even without a mechanic designed to allow for skirmishes.

As for the OP: So your getting at, a No-mans land between castles basically, where anyone can build stuff. What about there are neutral structures that can be taken. It would work I suppose: I mean, this is what C&C did a long while back with their Red Alert series, netural structures that when taken allowed for bonuses and stuff. As for Balance, if the structures can be readily taken over, and say (In response to Kire) someone steals them all and leaves, well... they can be taken over by someone else. Put a flag on them and their yours. They could provide situational bonuses, enrich the surrounding terrain and perhaps add a bonus or two to long term things like resources or supplies.

Ex: Watchtower Outpost. One tower, with a small wall around it. You take it you get a view of the surrounding terrain, and you have a few archers that can sit up in it and pluck arrows at greater range.

Doesn't really throw balance off wildly but it could be useful from time to time. And, lets say you sprinkle them throughout, or even allow heros to put them up with help? That way they could be disposable structures that act more like special effects. As long as their advantages make sense of course. For instance: Don't make a single watchtower give you full view of half the world map, that would be silly, give a range greater than that of your city towers... so your guys can see beyond their firing range and have time to run if someone approaches.

Of course you can also put creeps to guard them. So, powerful stuff is guarded by a necromancer and 300 skeletons, a watchtower is guarded by 1 guy in a wheelchair and his sockpuppet. Also, if someone logs off, the structures go neutral again after x time, so as to take into account crashing and whatnot.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I think that the idea of having smaller AI controlled cities was a good idea - All cities in borderlands are controlled by AIs of varying strengths - to being with. When a player conquers a city or town inside the borderlands, it becomes his - he can manipulate it just as if it was his own. However, heres the catch - it can be attacked while he is offline. It will be defended by hard AI at such times, which, from the skills demonstrated by Medium AI's in the last few Fantasy Fridays, should make it a challenge to take unless overwhelming force is brought against it.

That would solve the problem of one player controlling bordercities and then leaving the game, but it would also allow sginificant fighting in the borderlands.

I think what Ash said might be a valid possibility, but - unless there was a significant benifit to getting involved in borderland wars [like possession of a city, for example] I would not want to risk my troops there. They would get whittled down and divide my attention between them and my main armies/cities/battles. Though it might provide a nice pastime while waiting for your city to grow, though from what I've seen, there will be plenty of quests and the like to take up extra time.

Last edited by Negthareas : 02-07-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Did not read post that was right before mine.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Human Sect:
Knight

Swift sword will become famous soon enough

Personally, I think using an AI would ruin the idea of PvP which is basically what these sort of bordertowns are for. It's an easy solution, but I don't think it's the right one. What would probably be more in-line with the idea itself would be to change the town to neutral if the commanding player doesn't log back in within a certain amount of time (a couple weeks at most) It'd be easy to think up a reasoning too-Rebellion! Then the town would be controlled by a set AI and any player could go fight for control of the town and any bonuses it gave.

Which made me think of something- I was playing WotR in BFME today, and I thought that the bonuses players get for controlling territories would be great for this concept. For example:

Say a player controls a town in one of the neutral territories. That player could maybe hire a unique unit to supplement their armies with- not too powerful and the player could only control, say, 3 battalions, but it'd be a unique unit with unique abilities. Or, if that were to over-powered, the player could get a 5% boost to resource production at certain times of day. This way it'd provide unique PvP and a bonus to those who participate but people who don't could still play even with everyone else.

I'll even go to the trouble of providing an example of one of these towns:

Town name: Blanorn
Region: The Dirt Bowl
Difficulty: Hard
Summary: Blanorn is a medium-sized fortress ruled by a tyrant king. It's people live in poverty and fear but obey the king due to his power. He has gained complete dominance over two massive dragons that some say cannot be slain. The fort is set on a hill top by a small river with double walls manned by humans and dwarven mercenaries. It is very wealthy due to a nearby gold mine and thus it's forces are well-equipped and highly trained.
Begginning enemy forces: 250 human swordsmen, 100 Dwarven mercenaries, 150 human archers, 3 Drakes and 2 Dragons
Rewards: The player that hold Blanorn receives 500 gold every 2 days and if they manage to remain in control of it for a week, receives a dragon to aid their cause.

^ That's an example, in my opinion, of what this could end up being like. Keep in mind that the rewards could be easily changed- I was just providing an example. The idea has me excited, as you can tell .
There could easily be, say, a dozen to a score of these in existence with varying difficulty and rewards. The idea has tons of potential to be placed in an expansion. To me, right now, it sounds as if traveling to areas like that would only be for quests. No fun, right? What'd you guys think of my example?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Negthareas is on a good road to success

I think it is a good idea. Those bonuses are significant enough to make conflict in borderlands a reality.