Auto scout butten - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Jack has a default reputation

one Question
when will be the last time that you can play and look at the preformance before the realese
i have forgotten
and if it is late, is there a other way to play it faster than the last Beta

Just to know
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Human Sect:
Swordsman

Kaznafein has a default reputation

Ya I don't think this should be an auto feature. Should be something you get better at.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

I myself am currently playing Sins of a Solar Empire currently, which does have an auto-scout feature. Using that as the basis of my perspective, I have mixed feelings about it, and I think Joseph's knee-jerk reaction is off-base.

First, auto-scout features are highly inefficient. Even given a random map, I can usually infer where to send my scouts and how to fan out to cover the maximum amount of area possible. The AI auto-scout invariably does a lot of backtracking and may leave several blind spots very close to home.

Second of all, unless your goal is just to uncover broad details, you need to pay attention to your scouts. Someone who just turns on autoscout may know where the enemy's base is, but is unlikely to uncover much in terms of useful details just by looking back later. You cannot replace directed and purposeful scouting with broad auto-scout.

Thirdly, auto-scout tends to get the units killed... often.

I usually use a mix of auto-scout and manual scout. I use auto-scout to keep tabs on a large area of the map. Although not efficient, I can count on a sufficient number of scouts buzzing around to stumble upon enemy expansion in remote locations. When it comes to actually watching the borders for enemy encroachment or viewing what they're building back home, that really needs to manual scouting and auto-scout just won't cut it.

I believe that auto-scout is a good feature that can and should supplement manual scout. I think JV is off-base because he views it as a replacement for manual scout. Players who view it as such are going to have vastly inferior intel, so I don't see any issue whatsoever there.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:07 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

I share same opinion as Darvin also .... auto scouting like that doesnt hurt and still 'pro' can do it better with manual one. But i never scout =P, thats boring. But it would irritated me if someone would do 99999 scouts and put them on auto scouting =P and then would be scouts everywhere x.x

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!

Last edited by Kire : 12-23-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Human Sect:
Knight

Jack has a default reputation

but that's why the scouts have a report
if they are at enemy base or anything that is from a enemy, they make a short report and warn that the scout is nearby the enemy and will keep distance