Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

What do you feel is most important in a game? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Game Elements do you think is best for a game such as Dawn of Fantasy?
Gameplay 32 72.73%
Graphics and Physics 1 2.27%
Modding, Community, Custom Usermade Maps 6 13.64%
Story and Immersion 3 6.82%
Sounds and Voice acting. 1 2.27%
Other - Post what you think it is. 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Oh boy... tough call between gameplay and community/modding. Like forcing me to choose between my right and left hand. Sure, I'm right-handed so the choice is obvious (for me, gameplay), but I can't imagine the game succeeding without both.

For me, I'm not particularly stoked for the MMO aspect of this game. The RTS side looks extremely promising, but I've yet to see any "hooks" that interest me in the MMO side of things. Persistant kingdoms on their own don't move me in the slightest; it's a persistant and malleable world that I want, and if that's not there then I have no interest in this component of the game.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

I agree that having an mmorts with a persistent world that you could actually help shape would be awesome,but I still love how DoF's mmo mode is looking. I chose gameplay because I'm looking forward to the mmo and skirmish modes mostly.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I can't imagine this game succeeding without any of them.
I voted 'sounds and voice acting', to raise its awareness - bad voice acting and bad music absolutely ruin a game for me.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Gameplay, hands down... Followed very closely by a good story...

No-one likes to play a game that is awkward to play and is a chore... However not many people like a game that has a weak or non-existant story...

Here is another lecture from a series i have previously refered to... And i think it describes the problems of stories in games lately...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdG2LHair0

Stories are important in making a great game, however some of the best are being wasted though due to the lack of publicity about such games...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Is this in context to Dawn of Fantasy, by which I mean is it where Reverie wish to focus their resources on in the foreseeable future?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

This doesn't necessarily represent how we'll focus our resources.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 PM

The_Biz has a default reputation

gameplay for multiplayer

but for single player games where it's just multiplayer with a crappy AI, then story matters more
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

heh, should have been multi choice pick 2-3. One sided poll is one sided. Some interesting responses though.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 PM

fyro11 has a default reputation

1. Gameplay

2. Story and Immersion

3. Graphics and Physics

Modding, albeit game-changing at times, is a mod, whereas it is crucial for the actual game to lead by example.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyro11 View Post
1. Gameplay

2. Story and Immersion

3. Graphics and Physics

Modding, albeit game-changing at times, is a mod, whereas it is crucial for the actual game to lead by example.
There are games that stand almost entirely on their user created content. WCIII is a great example of a wildly popular game, that honestly the standard gameplay wasn't very good for the time. The campaign and level design for that was top notch, and the universe was interesting and well crafted, but the gameplay itself was nothing special. It's around today because of it's modding community and to a lesser extent it's franchise being owned by blizzard.

That's certainly not what we're going for here - but I wouldn't dismiss user created content at all. A solid multiplayer lobby/netcode etc and a powerful editor add quite a lot to a game's longevity, if you make something that people want to create their own content for - you have a goldmine. Another absolutely astonishing example - Little big planet's user created content. That game had hardly any game time shipped, but even with only a tiny fraction of the user created stuff being good there's so damn much of it that the odd gem here and there, ended up creating over 10x the AAA levels the game shipped with.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 11-02-2009 at 08:58 PM.