Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Micro- or macromanagement focused? - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

hashkage has a default reputation
Default Micro- or macromanagement focused?

Hey, i just wondered wheter this game will be micro or macro focused, i guess mmo part will be primairly macro, though the single player i have no idea.

(micro is tactically controling your units in combat, while macro is your overall startergy.(building, gathering resources etc.))
Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

Well, so far I heard they are going to be battalions so no HARDCORE micro there, but in skirmish battles, I guess there will be some micro.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Human Sect:
Maceman

hashkage has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_squirrel View Post
Well, so far I heard they are going to be battalions so no HARDCORE micro there, but in skirmish battles, I guess there will be some micro.
I hope that MMO part will have a little micro too, it would be dull to see an army fighting without you can do anything.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

You cna move em, whenver your army fights you can choose to control them in an RTS style battle.

But big batttalions will totally ruisn that ;p.

I really hope MMO is semi risk, about spreading your army into small groups of say 100 or 50 (Small battalions ).

Though large scale sieges will be cool too.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

In MMO both micro and macro.

With your economy you can control each of your peasants, cows e.t.c individually (well battalinos of 5), setting these peasants on that tree, these to kill this cow e.t.c, this make sense early game, and even later on for players who like to fine-tune their economy. Or you can macro control - but either selecting your peasants or main economy buildings, and choosing what resources your economy should concentrate on.

Same with combat. You can only fight small scale battles if you choose (by keeping your armies small), or only large scale - by grouping your armies together into couple of 500+ unit armies. Since auto-match system finds opponents of equal strength.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 AM
dof.heavengames.com Ambassador

Blatant7 is someone to look uptoBlatant7 is someone to look upto

This sounds great. Battle for Middle Earth II, the game I first thought of when I heard about Dawn of Fantasy, focuses a bit too much on micro. This can get very stressful. I like how Dawn of Fantasy will have a healthy balance.

I also like the complex yet simple (if that makes any sense) resource system. In BfME2, the resource gathering system is much too simple. Having a more complex system allows the game to have a healthy balance between managing your economy and fighting.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_squirrel View Post
You cna move em, whenver your army fights you can choose to control them in an RTS style battle.

But big batttalions will totally ruisn that ;p.

I really hope MMO is semi risk, about spreading your army into small groups of say 100 or 50 (Small battalions ).

Though large scale sieges will be cool too.
Total War has tons of micro and using the larger scales can be well over 10k+ soldiers in a battle. 2-3k per army.

edit: I love the small scale individual level micro, I started with sc/red alert for RTSes but the tactical level with battalions has it's own style and flow. When done well it works. Remember, battalions function as a 'unit'! there is still an individual unit to control it simply has a variable strength/size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant7 View Post
I also like the complex yet simple (if that makes any sense) resource system. In BfME2, the resource gathering system is much too simple. Having a more complex system allows the game to have a healthy balance between managing your economy and fighting.
It's a little odd phrasing it like that, but yes it's simple in the sense that you can just have your workers collect for you automated, or you can add a litlte bit of micro/complexity by making the choices for where to gather/what to gather worker by worker.

And if you don't find the answer - ask them in that same thread, we'll answer what we can.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 10-03-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Even combat will be both macro and micro with some units being more dependant then others. The mages for example will need intence play to remain the most affective they can be and therefore will need many micro aspects.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Human Sect:
Maceman

Baxter has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
In MMO both micro and macro.

With your economy you can control each of your peasants, cows e.t.c individually (well battalinos of 5), setting these peasants on that tree, these to kill this cow e.t.c, this make sense early game, and even later on for players who like to fine-tune their economy. Or you can macro control - but either selecting your peasants or main economy buildings, and choosing what resources your economy should concentrate on.

Same with combat. You can only fight small scale battles if you choose (by keeping your armies small), or only large scale - by grouping your armies together into couple of 500+ unit armies. Since auto-match system finds opponents of equal strength.
And how does the single player work out?