Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

LAN Games for small games - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 02:30 PM

fyro11 has a default reputation

Very much appreciated on my part. LAN is very much alive imo, due to the onset of WiFi.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

LAN really is an awesome way to play with your friends, I do it all the time with my brother. It's a shame that SC2 won't have it at all. Having to have internet for me to play can be a pain sometimes. And I don't really see how it prevents piracy much at all.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

The idea is that tools like Hamachi extend LAN capacity over the internet, allowing people to side-step BNET altogether. That won't stop people altogether, as someone will eventually reverse-engineer the program and create a solution.

Frankly, I find publishers are shooting themselves in the foot over draconian copy protection. It's trivial to find a torrent for pirated games; copy protection in every case gets cracked. The people who have to grin and bear it are the legitimate consumers, who have to cancel LAN events because some idiot decided you needed one unique license per computer to play over LAN. Guess what, your game wont be shown at my LAN event which means that my friends wont get to try it out. It's free advertising you're throwing away, just to inconvenience legitimate consumers and give yourself the illusion you're stopping pirates even as they download your product (sans "protection") before the actual release date.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
The idea is that tools like Hamachi extend LAN capacity over the internet, allowing people to side-step BNET altogether. That won't stop people altogether, as someone will eventually reverse-engineer the program and create a solution.

Frankly, I find publishers are shooting themselves in the foot over draconian copy protection. It's trivial to find a torrent for pirated games; copy protection in every case gets cracked. The people who have to grin and bear it are the legitimate consumers, who have to cancel LAN events because some idiot decided you needed one unique license per computer to play over LAN. Guess what, your game wont be shown at my LAN event which means that my friends wont get to try it out. It's free advertising you're throwing away, just to inconvenience legitimate consumers and give yourself the illusion you're stopping pirates even as they download your product (sans "protection") before the actual release date.
I used to have similar probelsm when i updated my computer. When i had new hardware etc as i am on a business connection the lan didnt recognise it as a new comp and therefore locked all gameplay on that game. I hope there is a transfer system where you can possibly disable one IP to swap to another?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Ironic has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyro11 View Post
Very much appreciated on my part. LAN is very much alive imo, due to the onset of WiFi.
yuck wifi
wifi i basically useless at a lan because as soon as you get a few people using high bandwidth aps like games the speed of wireless networks goes to the ****. Not a problem if all your doing is surfing but major fail at lan parties.
Poem Write YOU!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:03 AM

fyro11 has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic View Post
yuck wifi
wifi i basically useless at a lan because as soon as you get a few people using high bandwidth aps like games the speed of wireless networks goes to the ****. Not a problem if all your doing is surfing but major fail at lan parties.
I have 802.11n WiFi. 300Mbps ftw!

Last edited by fyro11 : 09-29-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Elven Sect:
Sorcerer

JDmino has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyro11 View Post
I have 802.11n WiFi. 300Mbps ftw!
Lucky mate! I have a maximum of 54mpbs. Seriously, Aussie internet connection sucks. The best stuff you can get is 100 mbps. At least, that's all we could find.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM

Gleem has a default reputation

What Darvin said!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Elven Sect:
Bladestorm

Ironic has a default reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmino View Post
Lucky mate! I have a maximum of 54mpbs. Seriously, Aussie internet connection sucks. The best stuff you can get is 100 mbps. At least, that's all we could find.
wifi is locale network connection ie ur laptop connecting to ur router and through that to other computers on your network. The n standard is available in all new router around the world include here in aus so dunno if ur referring to net speed or wat. 300mb is the theoretical speed of n but it never really gets that fast and its not the speed i have a problem with its the latency and interference with other devices running on similar frequency's
Poem Write YOU!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

wills370 is someone to look uptowills370 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironic View Post
wifi is locale network connection ie ur laptop connecting to ur router and through that to other computers on your network. The n standard is available in all new router around the world include here in aus so dunno if ur referring to net speed or wat. 300mb is the theoretical speed of n but it never really gets that fast and its not the speed i have a problem with its the latency and interference with other devices running on similar frequency's
Can by the extended boxes which give better frequency free from disturbances. But they are abit more money.