Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

MMORTS mode or standard, preference? - Page 3 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which are you most looking forward to.
MMORTS 19 54.29%
Stanard(skirmishes/ladder etc) 2 5.71%
Both/equally 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

There is a ~chance~ that beta may not include Standard online skirmish because we want to get mmorts perfect and the majority of the game is on it. its not just players against other players on the world map but also doing quests and visiting main cities, setting up camps around the map, hiring new mercenaries, having armies move around raiding looting other armies and camps. It NEEDS to be done right and we are trying our best to make it so. It would be an epic fail if everyone starts playing "Endless army battle" maps that do not help us in anyway during beta to fix up the game.

If it was up to me, closed beta at least would not contain: Editor, Campaign, Online Skirmish/Custom Maps or Custom Map Skirmish, just basic tutorial, mmorts and a few AI skirmish modes for beginners to learn how to defend and attack a stronghold.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher View Post
There is a ~chance~ that beta may not include Standard online skirmish because we want to get mmorts perfect and the majority of the game is on it. its not just players against other players on the world map but also doing quests and visiting main cities, setting up camps around the map, hiring new mercenaries, having armies move around raiding looting other armies and camps. It NEEDS to be done right and we are trying our best to make it so. It would be an epic fail if everyone starts playing "Endless army battle" maps that do not help us in anyway during beta to fix up the game.

If it was up to me, closed beta at least would not contain: Editor, Campaign, Online Skirmish/Custom Maps or Custom Map Skirmish, just basic tutorial, mmorts and a few AI skirmish modes for beginners to learn how to defend and attack a stronghold.
I fully agree, I'll be testing whatever it is you guys think needs the most attention, be it feedback for mmorts or simply footwork, going through and doing everything you can, every way you can looking for bugs, whatever needs to be done. I'd want to start creating various maps as soon as I get the editor, but I'd leave actual playtesting for release. People in the beta are there to be testing the game, not whatever scenarios we can come up with : p

Whether we get the editor or not isn't a huge deal, the testing really is to test, I think we're all aware that if you need focused feedback or bug testing etc we'd all be there doing it.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I actually think you shouldn't release the editor. It doesn't really need testing, does it? Don't let people get distracted - this is primarily a beta, not a demo.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
I actually think you shouldn't release the editor. It doesn't really need testing, does it? Don't let people get distracted - this is primarily a beta, not a demo.
I hope it's done on a case by case basis and only then after the first few stages, MMORTS is the main draw of the game and needs to work, but the custom scenarios will likely be the second, as much as the regular skirmishes are important, they won't have the same numbers playing them.

The game would benefit from having a few dedicated people creating custom content. Though they might just be taking all the people that could really make use of the editor and getting them to help work on the actual game itself. I wonder how many positions they'll have for the internship.

It is true that most would probably just be wasting time in the editor, interesting point to consider, which is worth more.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Getting MMORTS mode right is pretty much the most important thing you guys will and/or should do. More people will play mmorts mode than people who will use the editor enough to find a bug or two, the editor can easily be fixed after the game in a patch, with little or no harm done to the game's reputation. If mmorts mode is done wrong then everyone who doesn't like it will go crazy about how bad it is and the game will be surrounded by thoughts of it's problems.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

Yes, I agree the MMO is what makes this game mighty ;p.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

The point of releasing the editor in the beta isn't to test it, but rather to introduce the future modding community to the tools so they're already making content before the game even releases.

Anyways, I sincerely hope the beta has skirmish mode.

Quote:
OFF TOPIC: I just started trying to learn C++ again though, the tutorial Iam reading really doesn't help much, not much interaction or exercises.
Heheh... have fun man.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
Getting MMORTS mode right is pretty much the most important thing you guys will and/or should do. More people will play mmorts mode than people who will use the editor enough to find a bug or two, the editor can easily be fixed after the game in a patch, with little or no harm done to the game's reputation. If mmorts mode is done wrong then everyone who doesn't like it will go crazy about how bad it is and the game will be surrounded by thoughts of it's problems.
Editor bugs are usually trivial, any real changes are usually fan made extensions. Remember, the developers use the same editor. They've found most of the bugs by now for that I imagine. As Darvin said, we would want the more capable modders to have the editor so we can have a few quality scenarios shortly after release, unless they do end up just hiring all the capable modders as interns temporarily. Then they wouldn't need to worry about releasing the editor, those that should have it already would.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

I'm a capable modder, willing to play with the editor on my own time and create some fan-made content at no charge. I'm not looking for an intern position, however (actually job-hunting for a full-time position currently). So they won't have every modder on hand, and certainly not the sum of the community's creative potential.

As for skirmish, I always believe the game mechanics and pacing are the most interesting places to explore with a game. I love breaking it apart into very fine cause-and-effect scenarios. The skirmish setting is ideal because all things are equal except player strategy, which is ideal to giving insights into the game itself.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
I'm a capable modder, willing to play with the editor on my own time and create some fan-made content at no charge. I'm not looking for an intern position, however (actually job-hunting for a full-time position currently). So they won't have every modder on hand, and certainly not the sum of the community's creative potential.

As for skirmish, I always believe the game mechanics and pacing are the most interesting places to explore with a game. I love breaking it apart into very fine cause-and-effect scenarios. The skirmish setting is ideal because all things are equal except player strategy, which is ideal to giving insights into the game itself.
I didn't mean to say they would have it all darvin, no sleight intended, just most of it. I'm aware there are a few individuals that wouldn't get it that way. That's part of why I wanted to create a thread for the discussion of user created projects, what sort of quests/scenarios the community is interested in. I've already started putting a handful of ideas into it.