Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

MMORTS mode or standard, preference? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which are you most looking forward to.
MMORTS 19 54.29%
Stanard(skirmishes/ladder etc) 2 5.71%
Both/equally 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

What I would like is a map that is like MMORTS mode but on a much smaller scale to be played with your friends. There would be a few different factions(generally one race per faction) and they each hold a unique kingdom or fort to hold and launch attacks from.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
What I would like is a map that is like MMORTS mode but on a much smaller scale to be played with your friends. There would be a few different factions(generally one race per faction) and they each hold a unique kingdom or fort to hold and launch attacks from.
It's sort of like that, except it modifies the game mechanics. It would be based upon automatically spawned units, it's a rather popular UMS type for SC, and somewhat popular in wc3 customs.

You have several 'spawn' buildings you start with or get through events, then you have 'castles' or whatever the map maker decides to call them - you build them near a spawn, and you increase the number of troops and get higher quality ones from that spawn. What it does is reduces the game down to the basics, it almost totally eliminates economy, when you finish one 'castle' you get enough resources to build another and on and on. Leaving you solely with the choice of which spawn to upgrade and how you use the units at your disposal. It's a UMS type I really enjoy. I could expand further, but I'll stop my wall of text for now.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I suppose I prefer skirmish. I hate how competitive people are online. I mean, competitive beyond a joke - they find a cheap strategy, and just abuse it. That's not fun for me. I like uniqueness. I like having won with various strategies. From time to time I like playing for aesthetics, not purpose.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
I suppose I prefer skirmish. I hate how competitive people are online. I mean, competitive beyond a joke - they find a cheap strategy, and just abuse it. That's not fun for me. I like uniqueness. I like having won with various strategies. From time to time I like playing for aesthetics, not purpose.
Cheap strategies can oft be a great deal of fun. A few times. Then the novelty wears off, at least for me, and I work on creating a new strategy. But for the most part my strategies consist of tried and true number crunched build orders and scouting to see exactly what to build, It takes some doing but you can reduce any game down to a complex version of rock paper scissors and assign values creating spreadsheets for how effective a unit is when used optimally against every other type of unit, add in the margin of error you have for misclicks/poor targeting/movement decisions and you can figure out almost exactly what you need to beat any given army composition.

I see no lasting joy in a strategy that will simply be fixed in a patch, I just strive to create the best possible strategy that has a chance of being around more than a week or two barring massive rebalancing. Which I've done in several games. I like breaking a game down to it's basics and figuring out how everything works, I enjoy it almost as much as actually playing to be honest. I like math
Old 09-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Reverie Super Moderator - RTSCommunity.com Ambassador

Darvin is just really niceDarvin is just really niceDarvin is just really nice

Standard skirmish; I'll give MMORTS a try, but I think my heart will always be in the classic skirmish.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
Standard skirmish; I'll give MMORTS a try, but I think my heart will always be in the classic skirmish.
MMORTS combines persistence and RTS, for me personally it's a dream. Red alert and Ultima online respectively are the two first big games in each genre (rts and MMO respectively) that I played a lot and really got me addicted to them, I've been bouncing around the genres a lot lately. It'd be nice to be able to just stay with this game.

I'm pretty sure I'll still play custom games, I'm not so sure I'll bother playing standard skirmishes.

As a side note to this - I'm considering making a thread and compiling the various types of custom scenarios we all would like to see for this game, as well as maybe even quests for MMORTS/campaign. I want to do something constructive, and I have no map editor, so a compilation of ideas seems in order. Anyone else think this is a good idea? I think it'd liven up the forums a bit, too.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 09-13-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

Nah, any ideas I'll keep to myself thanks.
Haeso, have you got nothing else to do? Pretty much every other post is yours :\
Old 09-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
Nah, any ideas I'll keep to myself thanks.
Haeso, have you got nothing else to do? Pretty much every other post is yours :\
All I've been doing since the internship announcement is watching the forums and scripting. I can stop posting if it's beginning to feel like spam -shrugs-, I thought most of it was actually constructive/thought provoking. I wish there was more activity, been trying to get others to post. I'd really like to be able to carry on some discussions, it's just hard to before people get their hands on the beta and it's largely all speculation/wishlist-esque.

As far as keeping your ideas, go for it I'm just looking to get the community involved in something, talking amongst ourselves. Dead forums don't look good to newcomers. I plan to at some point create that thread to gather ideas so anyone with the editor has an idea of what people will actually look forward to though, it would create a lot of discussion. As well as there's nothing more annoying than working forever on something only to find that nobody wants to play that type of game no matter how good it is.

edit for sneaky: C++ isn't worth dealing with unless you really plan on using it. And as far as exercises, yeah there's almost none of that online. You need to get an actual textbook/beginners guide. The most beginner friendly I've seen is python. Lua is 'decent' Essentially I've been creating my own exercises trying to reverse engineer how everything works. Nothing like taking something apart then putting it back together to learn how it works.

edit for puppeteer: I didn't think you were - I just wanted to be sure. I don't want to be obnoxious or annoying and I actually asked in another thread if people had begun to think I was I really just want to get the community excited and talking. Have fun with your Literature, the only book I'm interested in reading won't be out for months sadly. A song of ice and fire, it's the only series that I'm paying attention to.

Last edited by Josh Warner : 09-13-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Elite Member

sneaky_squirrel has good reputation

I am posting here alot due to the same reason as I have nothing else to do.

OFF TOPIC: I just started trying to learn C++ again though, the tutorial Iam reading really doesn't help much, not much interaction or exercises.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

I'm not chastising you, and yes your posts are constructive. I just wondered why you were posting so much so frequently.
Well, better get on with my critical appreciation for English Literature. Have fun with your C++/LUA what nots.