Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Q/Thoughts on the MMORTS - Why Bother? - Page 4 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

It might be pretty cool if we had a chance to earn artifacts and equipment in battle for our troops also, but that it's also limited literally to 1 unit (like if you find some unique sword), then just add it to your armory over time, and maybe turn a plain swordsman eventually into some high ranking hero with awesome gear...Til he inevitably falls in battle it being an rts and all :P.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Why bother with mmorts!?
You have a persistent kingdom that you can customize and have waiting for you every time you log on to it. You grow attached to your kingdom after a while and you begin to love it and care for how well you protect, how pretty it is, its setting, and its layout. After dealing with the desert for months, you will most likely find the forest quite annoying for a while.
There will be quests in mmorts mode that you can do not only by yourself but with others. These adventures will be great for exploring new territory, doing something when there's not much time to play, showing new and possibly exciting lore about the game, for the new friends you might meet along the way, and for the enemies you slaughter while you do the quest.
Fighting against computer and player opponents is fun to do for many people. You get to kill your enemies and loot their corpses for booty! If you are looking for a fight there will most likely be places where people are always fighting, like in most mmo games where there is pvping.
There are also guilds/alliances that you can join to quest in, socialize with, fight with or against in tournaments, and where you can find dozens of friends to do many different things I can't think of right now.
There are just too many things that mmorts gives that would make it a horrible thing if it were cut out of Dawn of Fantasy.
Also, will there be guilds in-game, or would they be created outside of game?

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)

Last edited by Darathor : 08-24-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

You sound like you describe a tamagochi. Don't get me wrong, if I did not liked the idea, I did not sticked here anymore.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I'd think guilds would be created outside of the game, though I'm not completely sure.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

If there will be one server for mmo, where would it be? How will this affect European, North American, Chinese and players from other parts of the word ?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Witch King of Angmar View Post
I'd think guilds would be created outside of the game, though I'm not completely sure.
You think but arent completely sure about a lot, I swear there's something fishy going on here. Anyways I hope there is some sort of guild or alliance system in game. In any case i'm supprised there's noone trying to start any yet.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

There was someone a few weeks, maybe a month, ago who tried to start one, and someone a few months before him, but I haven't really seen any yet.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Well i prefer just ingame guilds, also cuz of possibility of roleplaying and such + less obligation outside of game and even ingame. Tho i think if guilds are made in game than its more about game depth.
Anyway i am not thinking of joining any guild except if i meet some nice players to make good friends out of them.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

The Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputationThe Witch King of Angmar has extremely good reputation

I like discussions about the game outside of it as well. It will create more depth and ideas about strategies, units, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
You think but arent completely sure about a lot, I swear there's something fishy going on here.
Maybe I secretly am the creator of Dawn of Fantasy and Reverie is just a lie!? Maybe I fool you all with my "maybes" and "perhapses" (spl.?) and really know all the answers. Or maybe............................... I'm just insane.

Feel free to check out my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/dylan-lang

Last edited by The Witch King of Angmar : 08-26-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Reverie World Studios - Scenario Scripter

Josh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really niceJosh Warner is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
Eww I hate micro transactions in games. I just hope they don't alter the balance of the game. Micro transactions for boxed retail games is normally a deal breaker for me. As the guy above me mentioned, expansions are 1 thing but micro transactions are also a big no-no for me.
The incentive to keep adding content/balancing/bugfixing after the first 6-12 months is non-existent without micro-transactions. From a developer standpoint it's a better system, it gives them a steady income instead of hit or miss expansions that rarely live up to expectations unless they're in the 20USD range, which given the expectations for the amount of content, you're not likely to see much of a return at that price.

a couple bucks a month for new content, which will in turn make them want to keep their current players as well as add more - so they'll keep doing bugfixing/additions/balancing. It's cyclical, unless a game is OUTRAGEOUSLY popular like wc3 or SC, it's not fiscally sound to keep adding content, microtransactions could change that, easily. It's never been tried for a game like this, not properly anyway.

Imo - releasing new units/maps/misc in small packs for a couple bucks, then after they've made a handful of such packs, make a larger one that gives the last few they've made at once at a discount. And just keep doing that. If people want the extra stuff early, they'll pay a little more, but after a while you'll get it at a good price if you're willing to wait. Of course this means that new units need to either not change the way the game works significantly, or be free. if it changes it too much it'd be unfair unless you buy it which forces people not to play or to buy, which many people wouldn't like. Also after very long periods, after each of these larger packs I'd suggest that anyone that purchases the box copy/digital download that they get the extras for free so it's not prohibitive for new players, that'd be a death sentence for the game after a while.

If this game is anywhere near as good as I want it to be, I'd be more than willing to pay 10-15 a month new content if it means they'll keep adding it, and balancing/bugfixing, as it is I spend a hell of a lot more when I'm between games that hold my attention like a good MMO or starcraft back in the day just trying to find something worth a damn. Try 150-300 a month in games I play for maybe a week if I'm lucky, if this is what I want it to be - this game will keep my attention for years.