Emotions and Critical Strikes - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Dawn of Fantasy > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto
Default Emotions and Critical Strikes

On the features page, it says that emotions will be in-game, but how will they be implemented. It said on the page units have fear, does that mean they cower and slowly back away like in bfme2? But as for cheering, it makes the game feel more realistic and cool, though when will your units cheer? And what bonuses will they get exactly?
I hope the fear one doesn't make your units cower and do nothing like in bfme2, it was really aggravating and annoying.
Also, will critical strikes be in-game? If so, what units will have it and how much of a chance will it be to get a critical strike?

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Level Designer, Senior Gameplay Programmer, 3D Animator, 3D-2D Artist.

Joseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputationJoseph Visscher has extremely good reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
On the features page, it says that emotions will be in-game, but how will they be implemented. It said on the page units have fear, does that mean they cower and slowly back away like in bfme2? But as for cheering, it makes the game feel more realistic and cool, though when will your units cheer? And what bonuses will they get exactly?
I hope the fear one doesn't make your units cower and do nothing like in bfme2, it was really aggravating and annoying.
Also, will critical strikes be in-game? If so, what units will have it and how much of a chance will it be to get a critical strike?
Units cheer when they defeat the enemy in a battle., currently units do not cower or become fearful, they'll just fight to the death, this may change though.

Our combat system is quite advanced, basically there is 4 main combat attributes: Hit Rating, Damage, Defense Rating, and Armor.

Hit Rating are the odds of making a successful attack,
Defense Rating is the opposite and counter of Hit Rating by lowering the odds of the attacker.
Damage is the damaged caused on a successful attack. There are multiple types of damages from slashing, crushing from calvary trampling and ogre clubbing, simple fire damage from fire arrows or even magic damages from spells of various elements.
Armor is the opposite and counter of Damage depending on the type.

[unconfirmed] There may also be damage absorption stats where unit's armor type can actually cause more damage rather reduce. Such as ice or fire damage on steal armor.

Bugs aren't the problem, figuring out how to fix them is.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Elven Sect:
Treant

Darathor is someone to look uptoDarathor is someone to look upto

Ah, ok. I'm glad that they cheer, it adds some realism to the game as well as making the game more unique and having "flavor." It sounds nice that if you slaughter your enemy that your troops celebrate your awesomeness and skill at strategy and tactics.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc (Elves are the best!)
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darathor View Post
Ah, ok. I'm glad that they cheer, it adds some realism to the game as well as making the game more unique and having "flavor." It sounds nice that if you slaughter your enemy that your troops celebrate your awesomeness and skill at strategy and tactics.
One of my favourite things about Mount And Blade... Fending off waves of enemies breaching the castle walls... then as your blade cuts down the last enemy a cheer goes up from your remaining troops.... its just awesome... XD
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

zach12wqasxz is someone to look uptozach12wqasxz is someone to look upto

i think you have a morale system like in total war, where if your getting owned then your troops run for there lives(but then usually get slaughtered). but if your fighting near your city then i think they should run to the city and hide behind the walls. you should also have a like town square type deal where all your remaining men from a lost seige can make there "last stand" and give them fighting bonuses and stuff. in the total war series when the enemy is in the town square its ten times harder to kill them, you should make it like that in the game
Old 07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Reverie Super Moderator

Puppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nicePuppeteer is just really nice

I'm not sure if I like the whole morale system. Fleeing would become irritatingly annoying. I'm their commander, not their adviser. My orders are not optional.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
I'm not sure if I like the whole morale system. Fleeing would become irritatingly annoying. I'm their commander, not their adviser. My orders are not optional.
I agree, perhaps we should be able to chose leader style, democracy emperor, god, etc. for diff bonuses on various things including morale, as well as actions taken on retreating troops giving you reputation for diff stuff...like killing those who retreat. Sacrifices to instill terror, etc.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Human Sect:
Mor

szebus is someone to trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
Hmmm... You may be their commander and not their advisor, but still they have fear, at least humans and I don't think cheap units would give a sh*t about you're social status.

Maybe some units what have a higher social status as higher LVL'd units, would fight until death or retreat order, but this is for humans.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

That is true I don't think i've ever seen an orc run from the battlefield, elf perhaps, but not orc. Elves seem to be good at running and hiding.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aametherar View Post
I agree, perhaps we should be able to chose leader style, democracy emperor, god, etc. for diff bonuses on various things
Yes this would be very very lovely =), i also liked it at empire earth (it was far far away so i could mixed a game name =P). This would surly add some fun factor to game and gaining like titles -Kire the emperor or God Kire or King Kire ....- =P. But dont know how would democracy work... Asking parliament or people if you can attack player or to gain some money or create units ?=P
It would be also nice for role playing factor.. if one soldier is brave in combat and you like him you, as king, would give him title, but would not change stats.

Picture made by Aametherar the orc

Glory to the elves!

Last edited by Kire : 07-20-2009 at 04:02 PM.