Username:    Password:    Remember Me?         

Q/Thoughts on the MMORTS - Why Bother? - Page 2 - Reverie World Studios Forums

Go Back   Reverie World Studios Forums > Kingdom Wars > Main Square
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Reverie World Studios - Producer & Design Director

Konstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputationKonstantin Fomenko has extremely good reputation

Original game packs enougth content in mmo mode. And only some of the content released after retail will be paid.

And you won`t be looking at anything pricey, probably 3.95$ for several new units for yourarmy - something cool like some new dragon, or dwarfish mercenaries e.t.c
Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko View Post
Original game packs enougth content in mmo mode. And only some of the content released after retail will be paid.

And you won`t be looking at anything pricey, probably 3.95$ for several new units for yourarmy - something cool like some new dragon, or dwarfish mercenaries e.t.c
By that do you mean unlock them? or literally buy them... then they may perish and your money is gone...?

I would like to make it clear now though that I wont be buying any add-ons... unless they are included in an expansion later?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

Aametherar is someone to look uptoAametherar is someone to look upto

Eww I hate micro transactions in games. I just hope they don't alter the balance of the game. Micro transactions for boxed retail games is normally a deal breaker for me. As the guy above me mentioned, expansions are 1 thing but micro transactions are also a big no-no for me.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Reverie World Studios - Former Marketing Director & Assistant Producer

Alex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputationAlex Walz has extremely good reputation

Will you have to get all the add-ons to play online? Or will whoever you're playing against just not get to use the add-ons for that match?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Reverie World Studios - Lead Gameplay Scripter

Andy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really niceAndy Joslin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickson104 View Post
By that do you mean unlock them? or literally buy them... then they may perish and your money is gone...?
It would unlock them. For example, buy the Dwarven Mercenary booster pack and you can now recruit dwarven warriors into your army. These would not necessarily be superior to the enemys' units, just a unique unit with a unique usage.

Quote:
Will you have to get all the add-ons to play online? Or will whoever you're playing against just not get to use the add-ons for that match?
You will be able to play against people with addons, but not access the addons until purchasing them (or until they are released). The only reason we would require an upgrade would be a full expansion pack, which would add much more than a small $5 booster pack.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Joslin View Post
These would not necessarily be superior to the enemys' units, just a unique unit with a unique usage.
That's what I think we all wanted to hear :P. We know people are willing to pay for cool looking units, but end of the day I think we all just wanted to know it won't tip the scales.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Elite Member

Kire has a spectacular aura aboutKire has a spectacular aura about

Well i would still rather give 100% more money for game when i buy it than buying those stuff....(unless there will be paladin or new beautiful shape of castle i wont probably buy them anyway even if they have dragons in it cuz at the end you never know how much money you already gave =P)

Well i totally understand you need those stuffs that we buy them because you will be still doing on mmo part and most of mmo (good ones) have set that you have to pay each month for x amount to be able to play. I know your way is better and cheaper than that =), and i will have this in mind and will maybe try to buy some in order to support you, but i would still rather see what i mentioned in first paragraph =).
Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Orc Sect:
Hordemaster

nickson104 is someone to look uptonickson104 is someone to look upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
Well i totally understand you need those stuffs that we buy them because you will be still doing on mmo part and most of mmo (good ones) have set that you have to pay each month for x amount to be able to play.
Guild Wars??? One of the leading MMORPG's and has no monthly fees...?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Elite Member

Personally I wouldn't mind a few well placed advertisements instead if its just a matter of needing an ongoing income, long as they aren't flashing, don't block out any of the gameplay (IE get in the way) or appear during battles. Kinda like BF2142 how they stay out of the way rather than if you accidentally shoot a billboard it minimizes and opens a website lol!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Park has a default reputation

Great discussion so far.

What I was focusing on were two possible problems.

1) Player Fatigue, i.e. will people be playing this for 2+ hours straight?

I don't know about you, but playing multiplayer RTS and MMORPG are different experiences. In an MMORPG, I don't have to constantly worry about being attacked so the tempo can be relaxed or really challenging. In a multiplayer RTS game, you have to be super concentrated the entire game or you'll lose. Which means after 1-3 hours, I'm usually burned out with a RTS while a MMORPG can be played for days....

Another way to put it is in MMORPG mode, will you need 100% focus and concentration or is it possible to pause PvP?

2) What "addictive" features does DoF have like other MMORPG games?

In a MMORPG, there's a lot of respect and bragging rights involved. Nicer weapons, being part of a guild, the satisfying little level ups. In DoF, what's going to be pushing players to keep playing besides gaining land? Is there a MMORPG story/quests? Forming guilds/alliances? War between humans, orcs, etc. over land? Or are we talking more about a persistent RTS game?

Konstantin Fomenko , four years and never got your real name, lol. Got to say, I haven't touched a RTS game or any PC game in years but this might bring me back.

Last edited by Park : 06-25-2009 at 09:36 AM.